Our partner

Anti-social and your moral code

Antisocial Personality Disorder message board, open discussion, and online support group.

Moderator: seabreezeblue

Forum rules
Attention Please. You are entering the ASPD forum. Please read this carefully.

Given the unique propensities of those who are faced with the issues of ASPD, topics at times may be uncomfortable for non ASPD readers. Discussions related to violent urges are permitted here, within the context of deeper understanding of the commonalties shared by members. Indulging these urges is not what regular users here are attempting to do.

Conversations here can be triggering for those who have suffered abuse or violent encounters. Respectful questioning is welcome from non ASPD members.

For those who have no respect for either this illness or for those who are living with it, please do not enter this forum. Discrimination of Personality Disorders is not tolerated on this site.

Moderators are present here to ensure that members treat each other with dignity and respect. If topics become overly graphic or drift from having a healthy perspective, moderators will intervene.
Please feel free to contact a moderator if you have any questions or concerns.

Best Regards,
The Team

Anti-social and your moral code

Postby ZombieZ » Sun Aug 12, 2018 11:19 pm

So everyone has a moral code to some degree, things they won’t do because even if they don’t feel it they know it’s not right. What are the reasons you will not cross those lines, again what and where you would and wouldn’t do isn’t important here it’s why, what stops you from crossing certain lines.
ZombieZ
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Local time: Sat Dec 15, 2018 1:33 am
Blog: View Blog (0)

ADVERTISEMENT

Re: Anti-social and your moral code

Postby madness00 » Sun Aug 12, 2018 11:40 pm

I will not have sex with babies because they would not remember it.
I will not burn down churches because i like people to stay naive and happy.

I'll try to think of more later but i've already spent too much time coming up with these two. I think i'm fairly limitless, to be frank. Maybe someone will say something to change my mind.
Dx: Bipolar 1 rapid cycling, Substance abuse, Antisocial traits
Rx: Vraylar 6mg, Lamictal 300mg

PM me, as i prefer one-on-ones.
madness00
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Local time: Sat Dec 15, 2018 2:33 am

Postby Reaper » Mon Aug 13, 2018 1:37 am

ZombieZ wrote:So everyone has a moral code to some degree, things they won’t do because even if they don’t feel it they know it’s not right.

I disagree. If I don't do something it's not because I think it's wrong. It's because it simply doesn't interest me to do it, there's no benefit or not enough benefit to make it worth it, and/or the risk of injury or death is far too high.

As an example: If I wanted to torture and kill a child I would do that without any problem whatsoever because that's my choice and in my mind, it's perfectly fine for me to make that choice. The reason I don't do it is because I see no benefit in doing so. If someone paid me a lot of money to do it though, I'd likely reconsider if I thought there was a good chance of getting away with it.

So, as I mentioned, the only things that are stopping me from crossing certain lines are lack of interest, zero or limited benefit and increased risk. There are things I'm willing to do and have done that most people wouldn't, so ultimately, there's not much stopping me.
Sometimes I wish I could set the world on fire just to watch it all burn down.
Reaper
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Local time: Sat Dec 15, 2018 5:33 pm
Blog: View Blog (1)

Postby Reaper » Mon Aug 13, 2018 1:48 am

madness00 wrote:I will not have sex with babies because they would not remember it.

Why does it matter if they remember it or not?

If they don't remember it they can't report you to the police later when they get older, so I would think their lack of memory would be a benefit instead.

You only mentioned babies. Does that mean prepubescent children, or any underage children, are fair game because they could remember it?
Reaper
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Postby ArchCannon » Mon Aug 13, 2018 3:16 am

I am comepletely amoral, no "this just isn't right" thought has ever appeared in my mind, not even once.
Not sure whether I'm dying or dead already.
ArchCannon
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Local time: Sat Dec 15, 2018 7:33 am

Postby Ifog671 » Mon Aug 13, 2018 4:53 am

ironically, the attempt to demonstrate that there is no feeling in having sex with children demonstrates the opposite. The use of the word "remember" is very powerful in the fact that it indicates a pursuit of connection. this is something you would see with those with aspd......but not psychopaths
Ifog671
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Local time: Fri Dec 14, 2018 11:33 pm
Blog: View Blog (2)

Postby vcrpamphlet » Mon Aug 13, 2018 7:00 am

Being socially productive, morally responsible is a fairly logical choice to me. Made a conscious shift towards a humanist-type mindset when I was 9 or 10 and anchored it to a value placed on the complexity of living organisms and the idea that good personal conduct can lead to better outcomes.

Humans are naturally social for good evolutionary reason, so maximum individual satisfaction and the general progress of our species comes from cooperativeness and community. Even if there isn't an objective right or wrong, there's certainly healthy and unhealthy, and things like depression and dissonance and disassociation are clearly less common in people geared morally positive.

Feels automatic these days, but I can still be a selfish as shole when I'm on drugs.
vcrpamphlet
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Postby justonemoreperson » Mon Aug 13, 2018 7:40 am

@OP

We all have a choice. We can either allow ourselves to be controlled by a personality disorder or we can control our own lives.

We're the only animals that ask questions. You can teach an ape to communicate using sign language and it can ask you for things and respond to certain questions but it won't ask you anything about its understanding.

In other words, it assumes that what it knows is all there is to know.

However, we don't have to do that. We can ask questions and explore ideas and concepts beyond our own knowledge and experience, and then choose to accept them as motivators.

If we were to build an electric motor, we could either put all of the parts into a cloth bag and shake it up until they fell into the correct place, or we could examine the parts and choose how to assemble the device.

Simply following urges based on what's happening inside our head is the route to shaking up the bag and hoping that it will turn out ok. Examining what we're doing, understanding what is an advantage and was is destructive to us is the best hope of producing something (ourselves) of value.

I quite enjoy deciding how I think about something. Coming to a conclusion about a topic that I don't care about, based on whether it makes sense or not is a minor achievement and often better thought-out than that of many others who just react to their first reaction or popular opinion.

I think it makes me more reasonable and helps me to control the urge to follow my instinct, which is towards entropy and destruction.

-- 13 Aug 2018, 07:46 --

vcrpamphlet wrote:Made a conscious shift towards a humanist-type mindset

This mentality makes the most sense out of all the ideals people seem to sit behind.

There's a town in Massachusetts called Province Town (for those in the UK, it's like Brighton. For those in Australia, it's like Byron), a town where all lifestyles are accepted and celebrated.

The reason for this is that the first democratic document was signed here and so they follow the principle of "Do whatever you want, providing it doesn't impact anyone else negatively."

It's hard to argue with the value and reasonableness of this ideal.
I'm not arguing, I'm explaining why I'm right.
justonemoreperson
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Local time: Sat Dec 15, 2018 6:33 am

Postby Reaper » Mon Aug 13, 2018 8:15 am

justonemoreperson wrote:The reason for this is that the first democratic document was signed here and so they follow the principle of "Do whatever you want, providing it doesn't impact anyone else negatively."

It's hard to argue with the value and reasonableness of this ideal.

This is another reason why I don't think you're a psychopath, especially if you believe in that and you clearly do. If you don't feel any empathy or sympathy for people, as you've claimed, why would you give a fuk about whether or not your actions negatively impact others?

If I want to hurt someone, that quoted 'ideal' means absolutely nothing to me because I'm still going to hurt them anyway. Wouldn't you do the same or would you really stand by that quote?
Reaper
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Postby justonemoreperson » Mon Aug 13, 2018 8:28 am

The ability to intellectually understand a concept that isn't natural to you is a sign of intelligence.

Give it a go.
I'm not arguing, I'm explaining why I'm right.
justonemoreperson
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Local time: Sat Dec 15, 2018 6:33 am

Next

Return to Antisocial Personality Disorder Forum

• Related articles
    Replies
    Views
    Last post