Our partner

Dark Tourism

Antisocial Personality Disorder message board, open discussion, and online support group.

Moderator: seabreezeblue

Forum rules
Attention Please. You are entering the ASPD forum. Please read this carefully.

Given the unique propensities of those who are faced with the issues of ASPD, topics at times may be uncomfortable for non ASPD readers. Discussions related to violent urges are permitted here, within the context of deeper understanding of the commonalties shared by members. Indulging these urges is not what regular users here are attempting to do.

Conversations here can be triggering for those who have suffered abuse or violent encounters. Respectful questioning is welcome from non ASPD members.

For those who have no respect for either this illness or for those who are living with it, please do not enter this forum. Discrimination of Personality Disorders is not tolerated on this site.

Moderators are present here to ensure that members treat each other with dignity and respect. If topics become overly graphic or drift from having a healthy perspective, moderators will intervene.
Please feel free to contact a moderator if you have any questions or concerns.

Best Regards,
The Team

Dark Tourism

Postby justonemoreperson » Thu Aug 09, 2018 12:26 pm

Anyone have any experience or interest in Dark Tourism?

It's something that I've always found interesting and usually try to seek out when I'm travelling.
I'm not arguing, I'm explaining why I'm right.
justonemoreperson
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Local time: Mon Aug 20, 2018 2:21 pm
Blog: View Blog (1)

ADVERTISEMENT

Re: Dark Tourism

Postby Reaper » Thu Aug 09, 2018 2:08 pm

Yes and no. I'm only interested in visiting places where murders occurred, not just tragedy and death in general.

The more violent, the better. Being in a place that involved a violent murder sexually arouses me for some reason. It kind of excites me a little bit when I think about what took place there.
Reaper
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Local time: Tue Aug 21, 2018 1:21 am

Postby madness00 » Thu Aug 09, 2018 2:13 pm

No, not really.

I hate history. The past is the past and i couldn't care less about it.
Dx: Bipolar 1 rapid cycling, Substance abuse, Antisocial traits
Rx: Vraylar 6mg, Lamictal 200mg

PM me, as i prefer one-on-ones.
madness00
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Local time: Mon Aug 20, 2018 10:21 am
Blog: View Blog (0)

Postby ZombieZ » Thu Aug 09, 2018 4:16 pm

I’ve never went out of my way but I could get interested. I love history, particularly wars. I actually have visited a couple “haunted “ places I didn’t experience anything but the history behind the place and the story behind the hauntings were interesting
ZombieZ
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Local time: Mon Aug 20, 2018 9:21 am

Postby poxalis » Thu Aug 09, 2018 6:10 pm

I watched half the first episode. Not something interesting to me. My traveling either involves family obligation or getting high in the mountains.
poxalis
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Postby solemnlysworn » Thu Aug 09, 2018 7:29 pm

Some Beachy head, a couple of stories I'd come across about it 'haunted' houses (with a back story of small massacres or desecrate behaviour lead me to visiting, etc.
Hello friend
solemnlysworn
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Postby fiveintime » Fri Aug 10, 2018 12:02 am

justonemoreperson wrote:Anyone have any experience or interest in Dark Tourism?

It's something that I've always found interesting and usually try to seek out when I'm travelling.

Interesting--never heard that term before. My first thought was either like what happens in Hostel, sex tourism, or some hybrid of the two. Thanks to wikipedia, it's apparently much more acceptable than all that.

I'm mostly into food, culture, and nature. I can see wanting to visit some "dark tourist" locations, but mostly just for the cultural relevancy.
I'm not crazy. My reality is just different from yours.
fiveintime
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Local time: Tue Aug 21, 2018 12:21 am

Postby justonemoreperson » Fri Aug 10, 2018 6:31 am

I find people weird and inconsistent most of the time and dark tourism resonates with this.

Odd cultures, misconceptions etc.

There's a place near the arctic circle where they bury their dead and, as the ice melts and re-freezes, they float back up to the surface, so the people dig up the perfectly preserved bodies and drag them to a feast for the village. I guess it keeps the food bill down.

Tombs of buried-alive servants, who smashed their own heads against rocks to kill themselves so that they can serve their masters in the afterlife in some place near Peru (I think).

Auschwitz in Poland, of course.

There's also a place in Africa where they suspend the men by bones through their chest skin as part of the growing up ritual. I'd like to give that a go.

Body Worlds in Amsterdam is interesting; where art is made from dead bodies. Well worth a visit if you're ever in Europe.

History can be interesting, as it easily predicts the future, but I'm more interested in looking at the non-sanitised recesses of the "normal" person's psyche.
justonemoreperson
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Postby Infinitesimal » Fri Aug 10, 2018 1:19 pm

I find it personally ironic as to when this thread was created. I recently made some personal connections in my lineage that makes me want to visit what you're construing as a dark tourist area.

In fact you almost named it directly with Auschwitz, but instead I'm very inclined as of recently to visit Dachau Concentration camp in Germany, which was the first concentration camp constructed just days after hitler came to power.

I've spoken briefly of my grandfathers highly decorated military career becoming a Major after a 20 year career in the Army signal corps intelligence.

I am just learning that his squad, the 42nd division was literally the first of two squads to enter and liberate Dachau in southern Germany.

They arrived to parked box cars over flowing with thousands of dead decomposing bodies of women and children.

The head of command botched his suicide and took over an hour to die. The remaining few hundred other nazis surrendered quickly.

I'm sure many here have seen Shutter Island, as its a great movie, but their is a scene showing the liberation of the camp and what ensued directly after.

https://youtu.be/sN0B6KM0Oc8 shutter island clip

https://youtu.be/R0c8DLdDzow history channel clip in color, almost want to say the captain on the right at 2:00 could be my grandfather but highly highly doubt that.

But can't imagine being 21, on the other side of the world, and essentially blindly walking into this, which wasn't warfare obviously as they expected.

We now know it as genocide.

And kids these days needs closets to cry in between college classes.

Helps to explain my grandfathers stoicism and secretiveness and he took a lot of things to the grave that were declassified and told to my grandmother well over a decade after he died.

It's documented they killed 300 high ranking Nazi soldiers after they surrendered, but rumors suggests that the number was much higher, and the disgust mixed with the WW2 wartime vitamin rations, which were meth, cranked these men into a frenzy and gave the Nazis the mercy they deserved. Absolutely Zero.

The 42nd specifically liberated and took over the newer compound a few miles away that was their lab in which they were doing some crazy experiments on people which i know most of you are aware of like sewing twins together or separating Siamese ones.

My grandfathers position at that time as an officer, likely a captain would of made him one one the first officers (different than soldiers) to go into these buildings and thoroughly go through what the eff was going on, as they were caught off guard but the extent of all of this that he went and reported to his superior, and only a few more superiors up your at General Dwight D Eisenhower who personally went to Dachau to witness the atrocities first hand to testify.

Thankfully these days we'll never be exposed to such malicious carnage(unless it's funded by our government) as that was the last war to actually matter.

Hoping someone here knows about miliary badges and can help shed some light on his patch, I can't find a single one like it anywhere in the web.

I also live in proximity to Camp Hero and wanna make it there one of these days. Rumor has it that's the place they base the show Stranger Things off of to a large extent, in fact I heard they initially were going to name it Montauk or the Montauk project.

I've had friends go and there's a lot of weird things associated with that building, like them filling in 7+ floors of subterranean levels with concrete after they stopped using the base, which was the largest radar dish of its kind that still ominously stands at the tip of Long Island with a covert military presence that is still out there till this day.

Don't think mind control exists- google patent 3951134

Just remember it wasn't that far off to the south and west that Lyme disease was created and spread from Plum Island disease research center that's still up to some weird thing.. :::check who owns patent on Zika virus cough:::
BTC: 1NmB4yxEUPfwVWskCSMigdHPy9i4kCtZDY
LTC: LXbB7U4XpXBx2FCuyYfoXdhUrr6Das3DaC
ETH:0xD170607D7Ac442Da67Be15753D2abda-
4247b6283
XRP: rDsbeomae4FXwgQTJp9Rs64Qg9vDiTCdBv - Destination Tag 96854920
Infinitesimal
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Postby justonemoreperson » Sat Aug 11, 2018 9:57 am

Infinitesimal wrote:Hoping someone here knows about miliary badges and can help shed some light on his patch, I can't find a single one like it anywhere in the web.

Not seen that before, but the rainbow was a symbol for the National Guard.
justonemoreperson
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Next

Return to Antisocial Personality Disorder Forum

• Related articles
    Replies
    Views
    Last post