Our partner

Family Social Class Vs Your Social Class

Antisocial Personality Disorder message board, open discussion, and online support group.

Moderator: seabreezeblue

Forum rules
Attention Please. You are entering the ASPD forum. Please read this carefully.

Given the unique propensities of those who are faced with the issues of ASPD, topics at times may be uncomfortable for non ASPD readers. Discussions related to violent urges are permitted here, within the context of deeper understanding of the commonalties shared by members. Indulging these urges is not what regular users here are attempting to do.

Conversations here can be triggering for those who have suffered abuse or violent encounters. Respectful questioning is welcome from non ASPD members.

For those who have no respect for either this illness or for those who are living with it, please do not enter this forum. Discrimination of Personality Disorders is not tolerated on this site.

Moderators are present here to ensure that members treat each other with dignity and respect. If topics become overly graphic or drift from having a healthy perspective, moderators will intervene.
Please feel free to contact a moderator if you have any questions or concerns.

Best Regards,
The Team

Re: Family Social Class Vs Your Social Class

Postby xSid » Mon Aug 06, 2018 9:56 pm

Guess I stayed to lower class from childhood to adulthood
xSid
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Local time: Sat Oct 20, 2018 5:37 pm
Blog: View Blog (0)

ADVERTISEMENT

Postby Hallava » Tue Aug 07, 2018 6:22 am

vcrpamphlet wrote:I've never seen a single percentage unit written that way before, without a number attached. I did misread the quote actually: the data is exactly what you see here and everywhere; about two thirds of the population identify with the middle class, which can be subdivided further into upper and lower; a third identify with lower; and a tiny percentage identify with upper - which is all roughly parallel with capitalism. It's a clear and basic contradiction.

The emotional outburst doesn't make any sense to me, sorry. I can see that I was blunt, but to be fair, you implied a special circumstance where you live without comprehending the topic, then changed position without comprehending the data - what did you expect?

Imo you ceased talking about the actual topic and instead started to talk about whether I'm right or wrong. I already stated I'm no expert, nor do I want to be seen as one.
You're someone insisting to criticise unfinished painting.
You are an incompetent physician interpreting a blood work and actually just wanting to get rid of the patient.

Denmark has gotten multiple votes on being the happiest place on earth.
“Don't bend; don't water it down; don't try to make it logical; don't edit your own soul according to the fashion. Rather, follow your most intense obsessions mercilessly.”

Dx: Bipolar II F31.8, BPD traits F60.3
Hallava
Consumer 5
Consumer 5

Local time: Sat Oct 20, 2018 8:37 pm

Postby poxalis » Thu Aug 09, 2018 6:17 pm

WELL ANYWAY, what i was getting at was people who struggle mentally drop classes, even if family history shows constant or improving status. but i think it's more than just "problems mentally", because i've seen some people with issues manage to hold on to their class. I think specific mental disorders are more likely to drop class. I don't just mean income wise either, I also mean "class"...losing taste, no longer paying attention to details,failing to take care of what one has. Essentially, retaining nothing from their better upbringing and wallowing in the trash level.
poxalis
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Local time: Sat Oct 20, 2018 12:37 pm

Postby solemnlysworn » Thu Aug 09, 2018 7:25 pm

I have mixed sensibilities I think. Depends. What I was taught probably just hides an attitude that is less than I was brought up to be in class
Hello friend
solemnlysworn
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Postby fiveintime » Fri Aug 10, 2018 12:14 am

I grew up dirt poor. It was an interesting dichotomy, though, because even though we were poor, my family wasn't white trash. My family were intelligent and competent--we were just really remote and working class.

I'm somewhere around middle now... I guess? Finances are a non-issue. Some cultural things from childhood will always remain. I have a different attitude from most of my coworkers. Having personally transcended class structure, I don't believe in a lot of status symbols. I don't really believe in social classes at all. Everybody is equal in my mind. I don't believe I work for my manager--my perspective at work is that my manager and I just serve different functions as colleagues of sorts. I mean, technically, I have a manager, but I don't consider him a boss. I live in an aggressively egalitarian world, which strangely both makes me sometimes champion for others and devalue them, depending on circumstances.
I'm not crazy. My reality is just different from yours.
fiveintime
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Local time: Sun Oct 21, 2018 3:37 am

Postby justonemoreperson » Fri Aug 10, 2018 6:48 am

Does 'social class' still exist?

People talk about it but it seems to revolve around a mindset now, rather than a social type.

Around where I live, most of the houses are roughly the same price and yet they're occupied by various types of people.

Often, the ones who would have been considered working class are now driving around in Mercs and BMW's and the doctors are holidaying in VW camper vans. Maybe an exaggeration, but I don't think the definition is as clear cut as it once was.

If I try to remember people I know who have mentioned social class, they tend to be the ones who find it important and they are the ones who will strive to put on a show.

Most people with real money don't give a sh1t. You can always spot the different types in airport executive lounges. The try-hards with their suits and laptops, talking loudly on their phones and the non-try-hards wearing jeans and t-shirts watching episodes of Family Guy on their iPad.

Striving for social class always seems a bit pathetic.
I'm not arguing, I'm explaining why I'm right.
justonemoreperson
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Blog: View Blog (1)

Postby Hallava » Fri Aug 10, 2018 7:52 am

My father was a CEO who loved owning the latest car models. And who's personality was abrupt, unpleasant and static. However, money couldn't offer him taste for literature, culture or music. He just wasn't interested.

I was the book worm and music lover. Ironically I am also, alongside with my mother who is a clothing designer, the least educated person in our family.
“Don't bend; don't water it down; don't try to make it logical; don't edit your own soul according to the fashion. Rather, follow your most intense obsessions mercilessly.”

Dx: Bipolar II F31.8, BPD traits F60.3
Hallava
Consumer 5
Consumer 5

Local time: Sat Oct 20, 2018 8:37 pm

Postby justonemoreperson » Fri Aug 10, 2018 8:29 am

The problem with education is that it's often tunnel-focused on one type of learning. As such, it's irrelevant to many types of intelligence that have, historically, gone unnoticed.

There are many people I know who are like a lighthouse in the desert; very bright but f*ck all use to anyone.

That said, there seems to be a shift in our perception of intelligence. More value is beginning to be shown to vocational intelligence and less to academia.

College / university degrees are becoming almost worthless unless they point to a specific profession, while people with vocational qualifications are becoming harder and harder to find and more valuable.
I'm not arguing, I'm explaining why I'm right.
justonemoreperson
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Blog: View Blog (1)

Postby poxalis » Fri Aug 10, 2018 4:01 pm

For a while, I was the most academically accomplished of my family. A lot of that being because of money. I was also the one who cared the least about education. Other family members had earned it without the funds available and had a real goal in mind. Mine was a choice out of apathy. I would have rather stayed at home, continue community college while figuring out what I wanted. My degree was such a waste.
poxalis
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Local time: Sat Oct 20, 2018 12:37 pm

Postby fiveintime » Sat Aug 11, 2018 7:13 pm

justonemoreperson wrote:Does 'social class' still exist?

People talk about it but it seems to revolve around a mindset now, rather than a social type.

Agreed, but the mindset runs deep. People are conditioned that they're in a certain class from a young age. They have certain expectations about their own capabilities, position in society, intelligence, etc, which can be hard to transcend. I don't know if it's society holding people back as much as conditioning.

I live in a very "socially mobile" country. The supposed American dream is that no matter where you come from you can work hard and achieve. That said, there still seems to be a common "class" (sorta class) amongst those I work with. It seems like the vast majority come from upper middle-class families, are well educated, etc.
I'm not crazy. My reality is just different from yours.
fiveintime
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Local time: Sun Oct 21, 2018 3:37 am

PreviousNext

Return to Antisocial Personality Disorder Forum

• Related articles
    Replies
    Views
    Last post