Our partner

Personal responsibility

Antisocial Personality Disorder message board, open discussion, and online support group.

Moderator: seabreezeblue

Forum rules
Attention Please. You are entering the ASPD forum. Please read this carefully.

Given the unique propensities of those who are faced with the issues of ASPD, topics at times may be uncomfortable for non ASPD readers. Discussions related to violent urges are permitted here, within the context of deeper understanding of the commonalties shared by members. Indulging these urges is not what regular users here are attempting to do.

Conversations here can be triggering for those who have suffered abuse or violent encounters. Respectful questioning is welcome from non ASPD members.

For those who have no respect for either this illness or for those who are living with it, please do not enter this forum. Discrimination of Personality Disorders is not tolerated on this site.

Moderators are present here to ensure that members treat each other with dignity and respect. If topics become overly graphic or drift from having a healthy perspective, moderators will intervene.
Please feel free to contact a moderator if you have any questions or concerns.

Best Regards,
The Team

Personal responsibility

Postby dobiedobiedoo » Wed Jul 11, 2018 3:31 pm

Personal responsibility means admitting ownership for your own behavior (at least to yourself) and the consequences of that behavior, actions or failures.
Do you do that sort of thing or is your natural instinct to blame shift?
A feeling of obligation is something that can drive a sense of responsibility for many people. What drives yours?
dobiedobiedoo
Consumer 2
Consumer 2

Local time: Wed Sep 19, 2018 5:11 am
Blog: View Blog (0)

ADVERTISEMENT

Re: Personal responsibility

Postby Reaper » Wed Jul 11, 2018 3:39 pm

dobiedobiedoo wrote:Personal responsibility means admitting ownership for your own behavior (at least to yourself) and the consequences of that behavior, actions or failures.

I often blame shift. Sometimes I do it because I honestly don't see myself at fault, other times I do it for manipulative reasons and sometimes I just do it because I can. Why take the blame myself when I can throw the blame on something or someone else.

A feeling of obligation is something that can drive a sense of responsibility for many people. What drives yours?

I don't feel obligated to anyone or anything.

Selfishness and self-preservation is what often drives me to do the things I do.
Whether you're a King or a sweeper you'll meet the grim Reaper
Reaper
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Local time: Wed Sep 19, 2018 2:11 pm
Blog: View Blog (1)

Postby FormallyZach31 » Wed Jul 11, 2018 3:42 pm

Reaper wrote:
dobiedobiedoo wrote:Personal responsibility means admitting ownership for your own behavior (at least to yourself) and the consequences of that behavior, actions or failures.

I often blame shift. Sometimes I do it because I honestly don't see myself at fault, other times I do it for manipulative reasons and sometimes I just do it because I can. Why take the blame myself when I can throw the blame on something or someone else.

I don't feel obligated to anyone or anything.

Selfishness and self-preservation is what often drives me to do the things I do.

:lol:
FormallyZach31
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Postby Reaper » Wed Jul 11, 2018 3:44 pm

FormallyZach31 wrote: :lol:

Feel free to explain why it's so funny to you.
Last edited by Reaper on Wed Jul 11, 2018 3:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reaper
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Postby ArchCannon » Wed Jul 11, 2018 3:47 pm

Depends on my mood. Sometimes I'm like 'I've caused this situation so I deserve to take consequences'. Especially when I'm down.
Other times I evade responsibility however I can.
Why do you try?
There's no bandage for your mind
Why do you cry?
There's no honesty in life
ArchCannon
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Local time: Wed Sep 19, 2018 4:11 am

Postby dobiedobiedoo » Wed Jul 11, 2018 4:14 pm

Reaper wrote:

I noticed. So it's always other people's faults? This sounds like a defense mechanism to protect one's ego.
dobiedobiedoo
Consumer 2
Consumer 2

Local time: Wed Sep 19, 2018 5:11 am

Postby Reaper » Wed Jul 11, 2018 5:13 pm

dobiedobiedoo wrote:I noticed. So it's always other people's faults?

Not always, no. I do blame others about 90% of the time though. There are a few exceptions where I have accepted responsibility for my actions.

This sounds like a defense mechanism to protect one's ego.

I don't know. Why would I need to protect my ego? protect it from what?
Reaper
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Postby RogueKing » Wed Jul 11, 2018 7:17 pm

I take responsibility for myself and for those I care about. If you mess with someone I love, I will rip you to shreds.
You come at the king, you best not miss.
RogueKing
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Local time: Tue Sep 18, 2018 10:11 pm

Postby Fool » Wed Jul 11, 2018 7:20 pm

Reaper wrote: Why take the blame myself when I can throw the blame on something or someone else.

if you don't accept responsibility for 90% of your behavior, then what is the point of self preservation?

you only account for 10% of your life by your own standards. it seems redundant to explain such behavior as selfishness, surely? how is it selfish? you're literally putting the responsibility of your life on other people, which is fatuous.

it's taking away your power of accountability for the sake of pretense.

i mean, what is the point? you ask "why should i take blame when i can shift it to someone else" ...because you can? accepting responsibility allows the mind to grow, to change, to evolve and potentiate itself.

you're just another human bean, no different from anyone else, and as such you're perfectly entitled to ###$ up like everyone else. it's no biggie, you know? there's no sense in blaming the world for your incompetence when the world is already fubar, but if you disagree, can you explain why?
"Kindly let me help before you drown" said the monkey, lifting the fish into the tree.
Fool
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Local time: Wed Sep 19, 2018 3:11 am

Postby madness00 » Wed Jul 11, 2018 9:26 pm

I shift blame.

It's hard to quantify.

When you don't even take responsibility for simple things such as food and bills, it's hard to look at it under an even larger scope.

I mean, i payed may dues so to speak with the courts. I suffered almost all possible consequences (except jail). And there's no one to blame other than myself.

Then where does blame shifting come in?
Other than blaming my family for not raising me in the ideal way (which i assume is true for most everyone), the little things. Things like why i'm alone, etc.
Dx: Bipolar 1 rapid cycling, Substance abuse, Antisocial traits
Rx: Vraylar 6mg, Lamictal 300mg

PM me, as i prefer one-on-ones.
madness00
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Local time: Tue Sep 18, 2018 11:11 pm

Next

Return to Antisocial Personality Disorder Forum

• Related articles
    Replies