Our partner

Psychopathy Is Not An Advantage, It's a Trade-Off

Antisocial Personality Disorder message board, open discussion, and online support group.

Moderator: seabreezeblue

Forum rules
Attention Please. You are entering the ASPD forum. Please read this carefully.

Given the unique propensities of those who are faced with the issues of ASPD, topics at times may be uncomfortable for non ASPD readers. Discussions related to violent urges are permitted here, within the context of deeper understanding of the commonalties shared by members. Indulging these urges is not what regular users here are attempting to do.

Conversations here can be triggering for those who have suffered abuse or violent encounters. Respectful questioning is welcome from non ASPD members.

For those who have no respect for either this illness or for those who are living with it, please do not enter this forum. Discrimination of Personality Disorders is not tolerated on this site.

Moderators are present here to ensure that members treat each other with dignity and respect. If topics become overly graphic or drift from having a healthy perspective, moderators will intervene.
Please feel free to contact a moderator if you have any questions or concerns.

Best Regards,
The Team

Psychopathy Is Not An Advantage, It's a Trade-Off

Postby RogueKing » Thu Jun 14, 2018 12:48 pm

Psychopathy and Empaths both have their advantages.

Psychopaths are short term hedonists. They suck at self improvement because they are incapable of planning for the long term. Also, because they are present-oriented, They will use people for small rewards and burn bridges where as a person with empathy can understand that keeping powerful friends is a lot more helpful than whatever you decide to extract from them now.

Contrary to popular belief, Psychopaths aren't actually all that good at reading people. Empaths are the ones who are really good at this. In fact psychopaths can't really read people's changes in body language very well. Only someone with empathy can really notice a small change in facial expression, a vocal shift in the voice, a more closed body language, etc.

What people with Aspd actually do is run their process. They understand through experience that doing x gives then y, so they do it. But doing x won't always give y however.

So a Psychpaths process works well enough to get what they want from most people, but they aren't actually these smart social calculators people think they are. Those vulnerable to psychopaths are weak people and there are a lot of those out there. Now ovbiously the higher the Psychpath's IQ the better they are at hiding their true self, but personally I have always been able to tell someone is a psychopath.

Psychopaths go through a hedonistic, use you before you use me short term based lifestyle. Never thinking about tomorrow, always about today. They change their circle of friends and girlfriends often never settling in. No long term friends or girlfriends. They also dont actually change all that much either because they lack the ability to plan long term improvement.

That's the trade off for a lack of empathy and fearlessness. It's not a very good trade off if you ask me especially since a person with empathy can learn to turn off theirs at will and mimic psychopaths decently well.

If you've ever felt the flight or fight response then you've turned off your empathy.

But you can learn to manually do this. It's hard to explain how to actually do this. If someone wants to know then tell me.

So yeah. I understand Psychopaths are grandized especially by "edgy" teenagers. But if you actually look at a psychopath's life, it's sad and incredibly destructive.

RK
RogueKing
Consumer 1
Consumer 1

Local time: Sun Jun 24, 2018 12:28 am
Blog: View Blog (0)

ADVERTISEMENT

Re: Psychopathy Is Not An Advantage, It's a Trade-Off

Postby ZombieZ » Thu Jun 14, 2018 12:57 pm

I agree with a lot of what you say but psychopaths usually score really high in cognitive empathy and low in emotional empathy so they can understand probably better than most what’s going on they just can’t identify emotionally. Also it’s not what I call a trade off because no one is asked to fill out a personality check list and select empathy or psychopath. You just are one, if you like it or not. There is a lot debate as to whether an empath is even a thing, which is just as trendy by the way.
ZombieZ
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Postby KvotheTheRaven » Thu Jun 14, 2018 1:00 pm

Yeah right. At 3 percent of the population of men and 1 percent of the population of women I am sure you have run into so many that you can immediately tell the difference.

This is like how everyone's ex is a narcissist.
KvotheTheRaven
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Local time: Sun Jun 24, 2018 7:28 am

Postby RogueKing » Thu Jun 14, 2018 1:19 pm

The advantages of those with High Empathy is being very well at adjusting to get what you want. Whereas those with aspd rely on process, those woth high empathy can see changes in behavior and adjust accordingly to get what they want. Part of this is because of mirror-neurons. If another person is feeling a bit uncomfortable, then it will reflect back on the person with high empathy and so they can choose to make the person less uncomfortable, for example.

Empaths are also more long term oriented. They have the capacity for self improvement. And unlike psychopaths they also have the capacity of seeing the benefits of keeping a friend and girlfriend.

Empaths drink the world in. They are incredibly perceptive of all outside stimuli. This is a blessing and a curse.

It's a blessing because actively taking everything in allows you to learn 10x faster. Empaths are always processing emotions, behaviors, etc. They are the real social calculators. This is what allows them to be so perceptive.

The curse of course is that constantly figuring stuff out is mentally tiring, it can cause paralysis by analysis, and it can make it harder to do things if you feel they are morally wrong behavior.

This is where taking a play out of the psychopaths playbook comes in. High Empathy all the time is bad.

See the thing with Empaths is that because they are so open not only do they learn much faster but failures are a lot more hurtful, even crippling.

What smart people with high empathy then do is understand when to keep their empathy on and high, when to turn it down, and when to turn it off.

This is something I learned to do naturally. For example, need to put someone in their place? Turn empathy off. Want to approach a pretty girl? Turn empathy off. Want to do something morally bad? Turn it off.

Whenever it is time for action and empathy is crippling you, turn it off. Then turn it back on again. If you get good enough you'll get to a point where you don't even need to turn it off anymore.

Dialing Empathy up and down is the key to getting what you want out of life.

You shouldn't have your empathy low or off all the time. Empathy allows us to learn socially very fast and be hyper aware of our surroundings.

It's incredibly useful. Learn to use it
RogueKing
Consumer 1
Consumer 1

Postby madness00 » Thu Jun 14, 2018 2:16 pm

RogueKing wrote:Now ovbiously the higher the Psychpath's IQ the better they are at hiding their true self, but personally I have always been able to tell someone is a psychopath.

I'm curious as to on what basis you are labeling people with psychopathy.

Is it in the eyes, body language?

I can not say i've ever met a psychopath, because no one has given off such a threatening, charming or otherwise striking vibe. Now i'm not saying i'm a psychopath, but i do give off similar vibes. So to me this body language is normal and i have a hard time differentiating who may be psychopathic and who isn't.

I've had friends in college test me, like test my startle response, my boiling point, my anxiety levels. One of them called me a psychopath afterward, so as you can see even close friends can be wrong.
madness00
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Local time: Sun Jun 24, 2018 1:28 am

Postby ZombieZ » Thu Jun 14, 2018 2:41 pm

The two people I have known that were psychopaths were very obvious. Territorial, if someone came around they had to be right out there to make their presence known, would intimidate,bully , use, steal you name it. These two made no attempt to hide who they were and if you weren’t willing to stand up for yourself you were screwed. Constantly testing what they can get away with, both very unpleasant to be around, I imagine they are not all like this but that’s usually who I think of when I think of a psychopath.
ZombieZ
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Postby Reaper » Thu Jun 14, 2018 2:49 pm

How do you know for certain they had psychopathy and not just AsPD or something else (unstable home life for example) causing them to act out like that?
Reaper
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Local time: Sun Jun 24, 2018 4:28 pm
Blog: View Blog (1)

Postby ZombieZ » Thu Jun 14, 2018 3:02 pm

I don’t know for certain I know they both had ASPD and spent the majority of their life in and out of jail. Bad dudes, im assuming they were but I don’t know for certain no.
ZombieZ
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Postby Reaper » Thu Jun 14, 2018 3:09 pm

Yeah, I can imagine that they had AsPD anyway. They could have both been psychopaths, but their behavior could have been just as indicative of AsPD alone.
Reaper
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Local time: Sun Jun 24, 2018 4:28 pm
Blog: View Blog (1)

Postby RogueKing » Thu Jun 14, 2018 3:11 pm

@reaper
Psychopathy=Sociopathy=ASPD all the same except Aspd is the clinical term.

@madness

I can tell you this. If you're wondering if you are a sociopath then you definitely aren't one. Self reflection and finding out who you are is something a real sociopath will never do much less join a discussion board. Sociopaths only really become aware of what they are once they're diagnosed.

But to answer your question. You can only really tell when someone is a sociopath when they consistently use people, throw them under the bus, manipulate, and hurt them without a second thought and without an emotional response. When someone does this consistently you can concur they are sociopaths.

Like Zombie said, the dumb sociopaths will not even pretend they are pieces of $#%^. These are the ones that usually end up thrown in jail.

However Smart sociopaths are harder to discover. Reason is they will feign morality, take the moral high ground in social situations and act like the good guys. They also use much subtler manipulating tactics.

Of course this is just a facade, a mask. And masks always come off sooner or later. But a good way to tell is if you feel the person is putting on a fake persona.

Personally, I was betrayed by one of those high iq sociopaths. I always sort of suspected it but could never tell forsure because he was my friend and he'd pretend to care about me and my other friends and it was convincing. This individual also hated that I was better with girls than him and he'd do things to take girls away from me at parties.

But the main thing that made me go Aha! Looking back after he ###$ me over was whenever he liked a girl he'd come up to me and say, "Hey man. I really like Heidi. Will you not talk to her?" Because a sociopath doesn't give a $#%^ about anyone but himself, he thinks others are like him and cant fathom that a friend won't try to steal his girl.

Easiest way to find out someone is a sociopath though? Get them drunk. trust me.
RogueKing
Consumer 1
Consumer 1

Next

Return to Antisocial Personality Disorder Forum

• Related articles
    Replies
    Views
    Last post