Our partner

Childhood abuse/neglect resulting in AsPD

Antisocial Personality Disorder message board, open discussion, and online support group.

Moderator: seabreezeblue

Forum rules
Attention Please. You are entering the ASPD forum. Please read this carefully.

Given the unique propensities of those who are faced with the issues of ASPD, topics at times may be uncomfortable for non ASPD readers. Discussions related to violent urges are permitted here, within the context of deeper understanding of the commonalties shared by members. Indulging these urges is not what regular users here are attempting to do.

Conversations here can be triggering for those who have suffered abuse or violent encounters. Respectful questioning is welcome from non ASPD members.

For those who have no respect for either this illness or for those who are living with it, please do not enter this forum. Discrimination of Personality Disorders is not tolerated on this site.

Moderators are present here to ensure that members treat each other with dignity and respect. If topics become overly graphic or drift from having a healthy perspective, moderators will intervene.
Please feel free to contact a moderator if you have any questions or concerns.

Best Regards,
The Team

Childhood abuse/neglect resulting in AsPD

Postby KvotheTheRaven » Thu Jun 14, 2018 8:47 am

My psychologist suspects I developed RAD as a child as a result of abuse and neglect which led to CD as a teenager and the development of AsPD as an adult.

There are a few studies that show a link between childhood trauma and the later development of AsPD.

What has your experience been?

Were you able to form healthy attachments as a child? (Regardless of abuse.)

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/m/pubmed/8166307/

http://triggered.edina.clockss.org/Serv ... ent/mhn016
User avatar
KvotheTheRaven
Consumer 6
Consumer 6
 
Posts: 788
Joined: Fri Feb 16, 2018 4:37 pm
Local time: Mon Oct 22, 2018 3:46 pm
Blog: View Blog (0)


ADVERTISEMENT

Re: Childhood abuse/neglect resulting in AsPD

Postby caspin » Thu Jun 14, 2018 9:26 am

There are a few studies that show a link between childhood trauma and the later development of AsPD.


Before I answer your questions I want some details about your trauma.
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
User avatar
caspin
Consumer 6
Consumer 6
 
Posts: 2734
Joined: Wed Jan 18, 2017 8:40 pm
Local time: Mon Oct 22, 2018 2:46 pm
Blog: View Blog (0)

Re: Childhood abuse/neglect resulting in AsPD

Postby ZombieZ » Thu Jun 14, 2018 10:51 am

The most common theory I’ve heard that makes the most sense to me is it’s part genetics and part environment especially early childhood neglect/abuse
User avatar
ZombieZ
Consumer 6
Consumer 6
 
Posts: 1387
Joined: Sun Nov 26, 2017 3:07 pm
Local time: Mon Oct 22, 2018 8:46 am
Blog: View Blog (0)

Re: Childhood abuse/neglect resulting in AsPD

Postby dobiedobiedoo » Thu Jun 14, 2018 11:05 am

Reactive attachment disorder as neglect/poor socialization are common themes). However, the neglect is generally earlier and more severe in Reactive Attachment Disorder. Finally, there is some evidence that severe neglect or abuse can result in structural and functional changes in the brain so, like individuals with psychopathy, individuals with reactive attachment disorder may process emotional and other stimuli different than typical folks and have difficulty with self-control, impulsivity, attention, etc. This, in turn, may result in alexithymia where individuals with psychopathy or reactive attachment disorder have difficulty identifying and describing emotions. Some children with Reactive Attachment Disorder in childhood may later meet diagnostic criteria for Antisocial Personality Disorder in adulthood.


https://www.quora.com/Whats-the-differe ... is-Zavodny

I thought that RAD was about pushing intimacy away, while CD is about rejection of authority.
dobiedobiedoo
Consumer 3
Consumer 3
 
Posts: 61
Joined: Thu Jan 04, 2018 5:02 pm
Local time: Mon Oct 22, 2018 3:46 pm
Blog: View Blog (0)

Re: Childhood abuse/neglect resulting in AsPD

Postby KvotheTheRaven » Thu Jun 14, 2018 11:39 am

ZombieZ wrote:The most common theory I’ve heard that makes the most sense to me is it’s part genetics and part environment especially early childhood neglect/abuse


Yes. I am interested in people's actual experience in childhood. I don't really care about what causes AsPD and what labels people decide to put to what at whatever specific point.
User avatar
KvotheTheRaven
Consumer 6
Consumer 6
 
Posts: 788
Joined: Fri Feb 16, 2018 4:37 pm
Local time: Mon Oct 22, 2018 3:46 pm
Blog: View Blog (0)

Re: Childhood abuse/neglect resulting in AsPD

Postby ZombieZ » Thu Jun 14, 2018 12:42 pm

KvotheTheRaven wrote:
ZombieZ wrote:The most common theory I’ve heard that makes the most sense to me is it’s part genetics and part environment especially early childhood neglect/abuse


Yes. I am interested in people's actual experience in childhood. I don't really care about what causes AsPD and what labels people decide to put to what at whatever specific point.


Ok, I gotcha now. Yeah for myself father was abusive ran the house like a dictator and was in my opinion probably a psychopath I didn’t bond with my mother there was no connection in childhood. I’m not sure why she was always closer to my brother. The most severe thing I can remember him doing was putting a revolver to my mothers head and threatened to blow her head off then shot out a window and had a stand off with the cops with all of us in the house before he finally surrendered.
User avatar
ZombieZ
Consumer 6
Consumer 6
 
Posts: 1387
Joined: Sun Nov 26, 2017 3:07 pm
Local time: Mon Oct 22, 2018 8:46 am
Blog: View Blog (0)

Re: Childhood abuse/neglect resulting in AsPD

Postby madness00 » Thu Jun 14, 2018 1:48 pm

I had a connection to both my parents, as much as i could have. A love/hate type of thing; i appreciate their efforts toward me, but i hate that they had some control over me. As i aged, things slowly shifted in my favor.

I don't really think about them much, and always forget to call them, but there was definitely no abuse and neglect. My dad could be domineering, but did nothing that doesn't make sense to me as i age.
Dx: Bipolar 1 rapid cycling, Substance abuse, Antisocial traits
Rx: Vraylar 6mg, Lamictal 300mg

PM me, as i prefer one-on-ones.
User avatar
madness00
Consumer 6
Consumer 6
 
Posts: 885
Joined: Thu May 10, 2018 7:16 pm
Local time: Mon Oct 22, 2018 9:46 am
Blog: View Blog (0)

Re: Childhood abuse/neglect resulting in AsPD

Postby Reaper » Thu Jun 14, 2018 2:16 pm

My father killed himself when I was very young. I have no idea how he treated me because I only have one memory of him and I'm not even sure it's him who I'm remembering (my mother had a lot of different boyfriends in the past).

My mother had a bad temper. She threw my brother onto his bed once when he was a toddler, hit my sister with a cricket bat or baseball bat (one or the other. I can't remember which) and threatened to drown her in the bath on another occasion. She threatened to strangle me a few times and had a tendency to lose control when she hit you. She also put a knife to my throat once, as a joke I assume since it was just a butter knife.

Her boyfriends were all abusive assholes who would either beat my mother up and/or verbally abuse her (most of the time it was just verbal). Occasionally my siblings and I would cop the abuse, but my mother was the one who copped it the most. The worst of it was that she enabled it by buying the alcohol that lead to the abuse. They were all fuking alcoholics.

I don't consider any of it traumatizing because that's just how life was back then. All the violence and abuse was pretty much normal because it's what I grew up with.
User avatar
Reaper
Consumer 6
Consumer 6
 
Posts: 22107
Joined: Mon Dec 29, 2014 3:34 pm
Local time: Tue Oct 23, 2018 12:46 am
Blog: View Blog (1)

Re: Childhood abuse/neglect resulting in AsPD

Postby justonemoreperson » Thu Jun 14, 2018 3:57 pm

Reaper wrote:My father killed himself when I was very young. I have no idea how he treated me because I only have one memory of him and I'm not even sure it's him who I'm remembering (my mother had a lot of different boyfriends in the past).

My mother had a bad temper. She threw my brother onto his bed once when he was a toddler, hit my sister with a cricket bat or baseball bat (one or the other. I can't remember which) and threatened to drown her in the bath on another occasion. She threatened to strangle me a few times and had a tendency to lose control when she hit you. She also put a knife to my throat once, as a joke I assume since it was just a butter knife.

Her boyfriends were all abusive assholes who would either beat my mother up and/or verbally abuse her (most of the time it was just verbal). Occasionally my siblings and I would cop the abuse, but my mother was the one who copped it the most. The worst of it was that she enabled it by buying the alcohol that lead to the abuse. They were all fuking alcoholics.

I don't consider any of it traumatizing because that's just how life was back then. All the violence and abuse was pretty much normal because it's what I grew up with.


And what's incredulous to any sane person is that you genuinely believe that this had no effect on you.
I'm not arguing, I'm explaining why I'm right.
justonemoreperson
Consumer 6
Consumer 6
 
Posts: 9234
Joined: Sat Mar 31, 2012 8:02 am
Local time: Mon Oct 22, 2018 1:46 pm
Blog: View Blog (1)

Re: Childhood abuse/neglect resulting in AsPD

Postby Reaper » Thu Jun 14, 2018 4:11 pm

justonemoreperson wrote:And what's incredulous to any sane person is that you genuinely believe that this had no effect on you.


Would it have affected you?

We aren't all the same, so we're not all going to be affected the same way. I'm not saying it had absolutely no affect on me at all. We're all affected by our upbringing to some degree. I'm just saying it wasn't traumatizing.
User avatar
Reaper
Consumer 6
Consumer 6
 
Posts: 22107
Joined: Mon Dec 29, 2014 3:34 pm
Local time: Tue Oct 23, 2018 12:46 am
Blog: View Blog (1)

Next

Return to Antisocial Personality Disorder Forum




  • Related articles
    Replies
    Views
    Last post

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google Adsense [Bot], justonemoreperson, Solowolfpack, xcagedsilhouttex and 65 guests