Our partner

Why Would I Talk to My Doctor?

Antisocial Personality Disorder message board, open discussion, and online support group.

Moderator: seabreezeblue

Forum rules
Attention Please. You are entering the ASPD forum. Please read this carefully.

Given the unique propensities of those who are faced with the issues of ASPD, topics at times may be uncomfortable for non ASPD readers. Discussions related to violent urges are permitted here, within the context of deeper understanding of the commonalties shared by members. Indulging these urges is not what regular users here are attempting to do.

Conversations here can be triggering for those who have suffered abuse or violent encounters. Respectful questioning is welcome from non ASPD members.

For those who have no respect for either this illness or for those who are living with it, please do not enter this forum. Discrimination of Personality Disorders is not tolerated on this site.

Moderators are present here to ensure that members treat each other with dignity and respect. If topics become overly graphic or drift from having a healthy perspective, moderators will intervene.
Please feel free to contact a moderator if you have any questions or concerns.

Best Regards,
The Team

Why Would I Talk to My Doctor?

Postby Poisonchocolate » Mon Jun 11, 2018 7:18 pm

I've got a psychiatrist right now. I never tell her what I'm really thinking. I never tell her what I do or how I maintain my social relations. If I did, I'm quite sure she would be concerned. But why would I ever get a "diagnosis"? Seems completely counterproductive to me. Everything good I've gotten in life has come from lying and manipulation. Why would I jeapordize that? It seems like the only way anyone could know I'm insincere is if I told them outright. I don't know why I'm asking this. I guess because so many people do seem to have diagnoses, and I would guess some of those are from mistakes that result from miscalculations of others' responses to things, but some of those must be from confiding in a doctor or someone else. I guess a lot of it is curiosity. I will say, I don't claim to have ASPD. I have no idea, and I probably don't, this forum just made the most sense to me over anything else.
Poisonchocolate
Consumer 0
Consumer 0

Local time: Sun Jun 24, 2018 12:23 am
Blog: View Blog (0)

ADVERTISEMENT

Re: Why Would I Talk to My Doctor?

Postby RogueKing » Tue Jun 12, 2018 12:52 am

Then why see the doctor on the first place if you dont want help?

Psychology is a soft science. Lots of quacks out there but a solid doctor will help you. If you're already going then might aswell open up and see if they can improve your life. You can always just stop going.
RogueKing
Consumer 1
Consumer 1

Postby Poisonchocolate » Tue Jun 12, 2018 1:10 am

It's not related to "not wanting help". I see a psychiatrist because I had a temporary psychotic break and for my OCD. It's helpful to have médecines like SSRIs. The absurdity of even posting this here is kind of coming to me now, but it's really moreso that I feel I should keep certain things hidden. I don't think I can or should truly open up to this doctor because doing so would possibly put me in a bad position, faced with psychotherapy or some other treatment for something I feel is more beneficial than not.

I guess I'm more eantub here than looking for answers.
Poisonchocolate
Consumer 0
Consumer 0

Postby madness00 » Wed Jun 13, 2018 1:36 pm

At least where i live and the facility that i go to, you need an extensive criminal record in order to get pegged AsPD. I slipped between their fingers at that, but largely am getting treated for the disorder.

It actually is helpful for them to know about the real you, because they can offer feedback as to what behaviors could be tweaked to become more pro-social (if you even care), but more importantly, they can better analyze social situations with you and let you know what the other person may have been feeling. Furthermore, they can give you feedback based on your presentation, and tell you when you come off "antisocial", so that you can do a better job to hide it.

That's the part that always gets me. My therapist is unrelentless in pointing out to me how i am acting "antisocial", but the reason why is largely because she makes me irritable. So being able to deal with the irritability and trying to play the game better is always a challenge.

Get to know your blind spots, at the very least.
madness00
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Local time: Sun Jun 24, 2018 1:23 am

Postby Poisonchocolate » Thu Jun 14, 2018 12:16 am

You know, I never really thought of that angle. Thanks! I do see the idea behind that.its always natural to feel like you're "doing a good job" but you wouldn't know your mistakes unless an external observer pointed them out. So thank you for the helpful advice.
Poisonchocolate
Consumer 0
Consumer 0

Postby DaMeechum » Thu Jun 14, 2018 10:24 pm

To get to the other side.~
DaMeechum
Consumer 3
Consumer 3

Local time: Sun Jun 24, 2018 5:23 am

Postby madness00 » Thu Jun 14, 2018 10:27 pm

Poisonchocolate wrote:You know, I never really thought of that angle. Thanks! I do see the idea behind that.its always natural to feel like you're "doing a good job" but you wouldn't know your mistakes unless an external observer pointed them out. So thank you for the helpful advice.

Good luck my friend.

And welcome here.
madness00
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Local time: Sun Jun 24, 2018 1:23 am

Return to Antisocial Personality Disorder Forum

• Related articles
    Replies
    Views
    Last post