Our partner

The full emotional range

Antisocial Personality Disorder message board, open discussion, and online support group.

Moderator: seabreezeblue

Forum rules
Attention Please. You are entering the ASPD forum. Please read this carefully.

Given the unique propensities of those who are faced with the issues of ASPD, topics at times may be uncomfortable for non ASPD readers. Discussions related to violent urges are permitted here, within the context of deeper understanding of the commonalties shared by members. Indulging these urges is not what regular users here are attempting to do.

Conversations here can be triggering for those who have suffered abuse or violent encounters. Respectful questioning is welcome from non ASPD members.

For those who have no respect for either this illness or for those who are living with it, please do not enter this forum. Discrimination of Personality Disorders is not tolerated on this site.

Moderators are present here to ensure that members treat each other with dignity and respect. If topics become overly graphic or drift from having a healthy perspective, moderators will intervene.
Please feel free to contact a moderator if you have any questions or concerns.

Best Regards,
The Team

The full emotional range

Postby dobiedobiedoo » Thu May 24, 2018 9:02 pm

Many here claim they have shallow affect and are content with who they are. Someone here wrote he cannot feel happiness for some reason, and someone else abused animals as a child in order to experience the intensity of emotion, etc.
Which leads me to my question. Do you ever wish you could experience the full emotional range like neurotypicals or do you ever wonder if you are missing on a pleasurable experience?
dobiedobiedoo
Consumer 3
Consumer 3

Local time: Tue Oct 23, 2018 7:04 am
Blog: View Blog (0)

ADVERTISEMENT

Re: The full emotional range

Postby madness00 » Thu May 24, 2018 9:05 pm

I think i do experience the full range, just dialed down.

Do i wish i was dialed up? Sometimes. Feelings are like drugs, for me. It's why i use drugs, to induce new feelings. They are drugs in the sense that they give your brain stimulation.

I never want to be plagued with things like shame, guilt and remorse. But would i want to try it and see what it's like? Of course. If only to be able to understand the human condition and better "fit in" to society.

I want to know for my own manipulative purposes, but wouldn't want them to linger.
Dx: Bipolar 1 rapid cycling, Substance abuse, Antisocial traits
Rx: Vraylar 6mg, Lamictal 300mg

PM me, as i prefer one-on-ones.
madness00
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Local time: Tue Oct 23, 2018 1:04 am

Postby ZombieZ » Thu May 24, 2018 9:16 pm

I believe I’ve experienced every human emotion there is at one point or another, I tend to experience negative emotions more intensely than positive ones but I have been happy. I struggle with emotional empathy. So I experience emotions myself, hard to say if they are shallow or not as I’ve never been anyone else, I just don’t experience other people’s emotions. It’s tough to imagine anyone who doesn’t experience emotions to some degree or another without severe brain trauma.
ZombieZ
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Local time: Tue Oct 23, 2018 12:04 am

Postby SirPercival » Thu May 24, 2018 9:30 pm

Hm, I haven't actually been in a situation where I'd wished I could experience the full emotional spectrum, I think. Then again, I don't know the extent to which I experience different emotions, so it could be that I actually can and do feel them, and that's why I don't think it's got such a huge impact on my life. Or maybe I don't. I've never actually cared enough to think about it.
ZombieZ wrote: So I experience emotions myself, hard to say if they are shallow or not as I’ve never been anyone else

Kinda the same case for me.
SirPercival
Consumer 3
Consumer 3

Local time: Tue Oct 23, 2018 12:04 am

Postby madness00 » Thu May 24, 2018 9:46 pm

Life experience, as well as being on this forum, has led me to believe i feel shallower than most people. I require a lot of stimulation, i can easily regulate my emotions, and i just can't relate to the reactions some people have when emoting.

Generally i am not all that connected to things. Whether they be people, ideas or feelings. Everything is fleeting. That's another reason i know.
Dx: Bipolar 1 rapid cycling, Substance abuse, Antisocial traits
Rx: Vraylar 6mg, Lamictal 300mg

PM me, as i prefer one-on-ones.
madness00
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Local time: Tue Oct 23, 2018 1:04 am

Postby Reaper » Thu May 24, 2018 9:54 pm

dobiedobiedoo wrote:Which leads me to my question. Do you ever wish you could experience the full emotional range like neurotypicals or do you ever wonder if you are missing on a pleasurable experience?

No. How I am is all I know. It's normal to me. I don't think I'm missing out on anything.

All I see in other people are emotions getting in the way. It makes them stupid, gullible and irrational.

Ever wondered why most people can be easily manipulated... Why the fuk would I want to be like that.
Reaper
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Local time: Tue Oct 23, 2018 4:04 pm
Blog: View Blog (1)

Postby justonemoreperson » Fri May 25, 2018 5:04 am

dobiedobiedoo wrote:Which leads me to my question. Do you ever wish you could experience the full emotional range like neurotypicals or do you ever wonder if you are missing on a pleasurable experience?

I know I'm missing out, it would be unreasonable to think otherwise.

Of course I'd like to know the full range; it's something missing that I don't have and everyone else does. However, I don't want the stuff that comes with it. I don't want the stupidity that it brings.
I'm not arguing, I'm explaining why I'm right.
justonemoreperson
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Local time: Tue Oct 23, 2018 5:04 am

Postby Mitmit » Fri May 25, 2018 5:27 am

How many feelings would u say that is?
Mitmit
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Local time: Tue Oct 23, 2018 6:04 am

Postby justonemoreperson » Fri May 25, 2018 5:33 am

Mitmit wrote:How many feelings would u say that is?

12?

What?
I'm not arguing, I'm explaining why I'm right.
justonemoreperson
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Local time: Tue Oct 23, 2018 5:04 am

Postby Mitmit » Fri May 25, 2018 8:28 am

justonemoreperson wrote:
Mitmit wrote:How many feelings would u say that is?

12?

What?

Hold your horses. 12 sounds a bit high.
Mitmit
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Local time: Tue Oct 23, 2018 6:04 am

Next

Return to Antisocial Personality Disorder Forum

• Related articles
    Replies