Our partner

Wanting Fame/Notoriety

Antisocial Personality Disorder message board, open discussion, and online support group.

Moderator: seabreezeblue

Forum rules
Attention Please. You are entering the ASPD forum. Please read this carefully.

Given the unique propensities of those who are faced with the issues of ASPD, topics at times may be uncomfortable for non ASPD readers. Discussions related to violent urges are permitted here, within the context of deeper understanding of the commonalties shared by members. Indulging these urges is not what regular users here are attempting to do.

Conversations here can be triggering for those who have suffered abuse or violent encounters. Respectful questioning is welcome from non ASPD members.

For those who have no respect for either this illness or for those who are living with it, please do not enter this forum. Discrimination of Personality Disorders is not tolerated on this site.

Moderators are present here to ensure that members treat each other with dignity and respect. If topics become overly graphic or drift from having a healthy perspective, moderators will intervene.
Please feel free to contact a moderator if you have any questions or concerns.

Best Regards,
The Team

Wanting Fame/Notoriety

Postby Reaper » Wed May 16, 2018 11:25 am

I came across this article today that I thought would make for a good thread topic:

Many Serial Killers Crave Public Notoriety

https://www.psychologytoday.com/us/blog/wicked-deeds/201805/many-serial-killers-crave-public-notoriety

- If you were a serial killer would you want some kind of infamy or notoriety in the media, like Jack The Ripper or The Zodiac Killer? Why or why not?

- If you could leave a mark or signature that allows the media to give you a specific name, what kind of mark or signature would you leave? (for example: You carve a smiley face into your victims. The media then dubs you as The Smiley Face Killer)

- Have you ever wanted to be famous for some other reason, maybe as a celebrity, like an actor or well-known artist etc? If yes, what would you want to be famous for and why?

- If you've never wanted fame or notoriety, is it because you wouldn't want the attention that comes with it or some other reason?

- Any thoughts you'd like to share on the article I linked?
Reaper
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Local time: Tue Oct 23, 2018 9:38 pm
Blog: View Blog (1)

ADVERTISEMENT

Re: Wanting Fame/Notoriety

Postby madness00 » Wed May 16, 2018 1:18 pm

I've always preferred to remain under the radar, and don't like too much attention, but i do wish to inflict the world with the pains that i feel, largely coming from being misunderstood.

That said, notoriety appeals to me. So i can share my stories.

I want to help the world's over population problem.
I want to help the world get rid of blood-sucking whores and hobos.

But most of all, i just want some great sex and the ultimate control. And my idea of great sex is making someone think they're about to die, and ultimate control is from finishing the deed.

I'd likely carve a meaningful symbol onto the victims forehead.
Dx: Bipolar 1 rapid cycling, Substance abuse, Antisocial traits
Rx: Vraylar 6mg, Lamictal 300mg

PM me, as i prefer one-on-ones.
madness00
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Local time: Tue Oct 23, 2018 6:38 am
Blog: View Blog (0)

Postby KvotheTheRaven » Wed May 16, 2018 1:36 pm

I don't have enough faith in my abilities to not make an error that would get me caught if I were to display victims as a serial killer. If I was, I would take getting rid of the bodies so they would never be found as my top priority. Fame is not worth my freedom. However, if I was a serial killer I would consider it an addition to my art portfolio. In that sense, it would be a shame not to display it.

- If you were a serial killer would you want some kind of infamy or notoriety in the media, like Jack The Ripper or The Zodiac Killer? Why or why not?

In a world where I could display and not go to jail, I would. As I said above, it would be creating art. People create art to be viewed and trigger a response. The bigger the response and more emotionally charged, the better you art work is because it has achieved its goal.

- If you could leave a mark or signature that allows the media to give you a specific name, what kind of mark or signature would you leave? (for example: You carve a smiley face into your victims. The media then dubs you as The Smiley Face Killer)

I would drain the blood from my victims and dress them up like porcelain dolls. Maybe remove their eyes. You never choose your own nickname. I have no idea what I would be dubbed if I were to do that.

- Have you ever wanted to be famous for some other reason, maybe as a celebrity, like an actor or well-known artist etc? If yes, what would you want to be famous for and why?

Art or writing. It's nice to have people appreciate what you create.

- If you've never wanted fame or notoriety, is it because you wouldn't want the attention that comes with it or some other reason?

I wouldn't want to go to jail or be infamous rather than famous. I am also a private person, I don't want people to know about my affairs more than necessary. I don't want stalkers.
KvotheTheRaven
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Local time: Tue Oct 23, 2018 12:38 pm

Postby Reaper » Wed May 16, 2018 2:09 pm

Since the murder thread got locked I'll post these articles here. Some parts of the articles relate to this thread as well anyway. If any of you are up for some reading they're pretty interesting:

I Just Wanna Be a Serial Killer

- https://www.psychologytoday.com/us/blog/shadow-boxing/201210/i-just-wanna-be-serial-killer

I Wanna Be a Serial Killer, Part 2

- https://www.psychologytoday.com/us/blog/shadow-boxing/201604/i-wanna-be-serial-killer-part-2

I Wanna Be a Serial Killer #3

- https://www.psychologytoday.com/us/blog/shadow-boxing/201709/i-wanna-be-serial-killer-3

Sugar and Spice, and a Nasty Little Vice

- https://www.psychologytoday.com/us/blog/shadow-boxing/201607/sugar-and-spice-and-nasty-little-vice

The "Dexter" Murders

- https://www.psychologytoday.com/us/blog/shadow-boxing/201401/the-dexter-murders

The Sociopath-Serial Killer Connection

- https://www.psychologytoday.com/us/blog/wicked-deeds/201409/the-sociopath-serial-killer-connection
Reaper
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Postby Siegfried » Wed May 16, 2018 2:22 pm

Reputation is certainly a useful tool, but in the context of serial killing I don't see it serving any other purpose than ego-stroking for the sake of it. Oh, you want to 'create art' or carve some spooky symbol into your victim. I think every narcissist with enough self-awareness eventually realizes the foolish nature of their thought pattern. I suppose I'm an elevated narcissist in that I don't see most people's attention worth a damn. I don't go out in my garden and carve symbols into worms to frighten the other worms. In fact, I never really think about worms. That's how far beneath my attention they are. And worms have a higher place in my respect hierarchy than humanity in its current state.
Siegfried
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Local time: Tue Oct 23, 2018 11:38 am

Postby Reaper » Wed May 16, 2018 2:32 pm

In fantasy notoriety is nice - I've fantasized about playing cat and mouse with the FBI (or whatever the Australian version is here), but in reality it's just not worth it because it increases your chance of capture.

I think I would definitely like it though if I was as infamous as Jack The Ripper, but it would kinda suck that I'm the only one who really knows who committed all those murders.
Reaper
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Postby caspin » Wed May 16, 2018 2:51 pm

No I do not seek attention because I am pretty introverted, I like to observe the human mind. Also animals but I see all animals as friends but I know they arent.

The mark would be the victim and not anything else.

Every person in the world sometimes want to be famous of course but I do not like the attention.

I would of course like to be famous but I do not care so much because I will not be famous, there is other options in life.
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
caspin
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Local time: Tue Oct 23, 2018 11:38 am

Postby ZombieZ » Wed May 16, 2018 3:36 pm

Reaper wrote:I came across this article today that I thought would make for a good thread topic:

Many Serial Killers Crave Public Notoriety

https://www.psychologytoday.com/us/blog/wicked-deeds/201805/many-serial-killers-crave-public-notoriety

I don’t really have a desire to be a serial killer, but I prefer to go about my life without having to deal with any attention of that kind.
..:
I always wanted to be a professional athlete, I’ve had fantasies about that.
I’m pretty introverted I don’t like being bothered by random people, I think being famous would be a pain in the ass to me. I’d have no problem cashing the checks though 8)
- Any thoughts you'd like to share on the article I linked?
ZombieZ
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Local time: Tue Oct 23, 2018 5:38 am

Postby Reaper » Wed May 16, 2018 5:26 pm

The tragic thing about this story - I Just Wanna Be a Serial Killer https://www.psychologytoday.com/us/blog/shadow-boxing/201210/i-just-wanna-be-serial-killer in my opinion, is that although he became the serial killer he wanted to become, he's still a nobody. He didn't really get what he wanted in the end - notoriety.

If I asked a bunch of people who Colin Ireland is, no-one would know. If I asked a bunch of people who Ted Bundy is, almost everyone would know.

No serial killer gets notoriety these days unless you kill around 50 people or more and then you have to get caught. I doubt we'll ever see another Jack The Ripper or Zodiac Killer.
Reaper
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Postby ZombieZ » Wed May 16, 2018 6:23 pm

Reaper wrote:The tragic thing about this story - I Just Wanna Be a Serial Killer https://www.psychologytoday.com/us/blog/shadow-boxing/201210/i-just-wanna-be-serial-killer in my opinion, is that although he became the serial killer he wanted to become, he's still a nobody. He didn't really get what he wanted in the end - notoriety.

If I asked a bunch of people who Colin Ireland is, no-one would know. If I asked a bunch of people who Ted Bundy is, almost everyone would know.

No serial killer gets notoriety these days unless you kill around 50 people or more and then you have to get caught. I doubt we'll ever see another Jack The Ripper or Zodiac Killer.

I think the media is making a effort to keep serial killers and mass shooters names out of the headlines for this exact reason. It still gets out but they aren’t making huge stories about them like they did before.
ZombieZ
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Local time: Tue Oct 23, 2018 5:38 am

Next

Return to Antisocial Personality Disorder Forum

• Related articles
    Replies
    Views
    Last post