Our partner

Intimidation

Antisocial Personality Disorder message board, open discussion, and online support group.

Moderator: seabreezeblue

Forum rules
Attention Please. You are entering the ASPD forum. Please read this carefully.

Given the unique propensities of those who are faced with the issues of ASPD, topics at times may be uncomfortable for non ASPD readers. Discussions related to violent urges are permitted here, within the context of deeper understanding of the commonalties shared by members. Indulging these urges is not what regular users here are attempting to do.

Conversations here can be triggering for those who have suffered abuse or violent encounters. Respectful questioning is welcome from non ASPD members.

For those who have no respect for either this illness or for those who are living with it, please do not enter this forum. Discrimination of Personality Disorders is not tolerated on this site.

Moderators are present here to ensure that members treat each other with dignity and respect. If topics become overly graphic or drift from having a healthy perspective, moderators will intervene.
Please feel free to contact a moderator if you have any questions or concerns.

Best Regards,
The Team

Intimidation

Postby ohreos » Sat Apr 07, 2018 10:36 pm

Do you like it when people see you as intimidating? Why? Why not?

In my case, I like to remain neutral. I intimidate people that I can control by doing so. I like to be seen as naive too so that people would have the sense that I’m easy to control while some would want to protect me from being so.
ohreos
Consumer 5
Consumer 5

Local time: Sun Apr 22, 2018 4:32 pm
Blog: View Blog (0)

ADVERTISEMENT

Re: Intimidation

Postby ZombieZ » Sat Apr 07, 2018 10:51 pm

i Try to NOT be intimidating and it doesn’t really work.

Edit: I didn’t capitalize i... crystal would be proud
ZombieZ
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Local time: Sun Apr 22, 2018 11:32 am

Postby ohreos » Sat Apr 07, 2018 11:14 pm

Zombieprepper wrote:i Try to NOT be intimidating and it doesn’t really work.

How does it not work?
ohreos
Consumer 5
Consumer 5

Postby ZombieZ » Sat Apr 07, 2018 11:20 pm

ohreos wrote:
Zombieprepper wrote:i Try to NOT be intimidating and it doesn’t really work.

How does it not work?

I’m 6’3 275 lbs it’s hard not to be Intimidating
ZombieZ
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Postby Contrast » Sat Apr 07, 2018 11:29 pm

Sometimes. Depends on whether it is obstructive of what I want from that relationship. I flipflop a lot to project what I think would be more effective in the moment. Weakness, because I ought to be able to maintain a more stable image that allows people to know what to expect of me

-- Sat Apr 07, 2018 11:31 pm --

Having to change to my environment and being able to is a useful adaptive trait but it also means I'm less of a force of nature than ideal, since I have to change my style a lot and all the time.
Contrast
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Postby Knoxious » Sun Apr 08, 2018 12:43 am

I don't know if "intimidating" is the right word, but yes i like a certain amount of anxiety in people i deal with. People are generally more honest when in such a state. They also are more obedient.

Yes of course i switch my image too, but in general i'd rather be intimidating than not.

Maybe because i'm not, underneath it all.

:oops:
- Knox
Knoxious
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Local time: Sun Apr 22, 2018 12:32 pm
Blog: View Blog (2)

Postby Aeva117 » Sun Apr 08, 2018 1:45 am

No. I'd rather people defer to me because they see me as more capable than them, not because they're afraid. I think respect has more to do with the one being viewed, while fear has more to do with the viewer.

In general, I try to elicit positive emotions from people. You can intimidate, threaten & hurt people, and they're going to do what you want for a while. But somebody is eventually going to get suspicious or fed up with your shlt and cause trouble. I find it much easier to make people genuinely like and want to do things for me.
RAD kid turned PD-NOS adult (which doesn't exist anymore). Basically a mix-and-match.
Aeva117
Consumer 5
Consumer 5

Postby Reaper » Sun Apr 08, 2018 1:48 am

ohreos wrote:Do you like it when people see you as intimidating? Why? Why not?

Yes, especially when it benefits me. Intimidation is my favorite manipulation technique because there's a certain pleasure in knowing others are afraid of what I could do to them and I like creating fear in people.

Apparently, I can be intimidating without even trying though. Family members have told me I have an intimidating personality and some MMA fighters who were chatting on an MMA forum years ago were talking about me as though I'm intimidating to them, saying that I'm a scary person, that kind of thing.

I think I intimidated some therapists I've seen in the past. I know one of them was intimidated by me at least because he jumped in his chair when I suddenly leaned forward in mine as though I was going to jump up attack him. That was amusing.

There's other situations I could mention too, but that's enough to give you a good idea.

Aeva117 wrote:In general, I try to elicit positive emotions from people. You can intimidate, threaten & hurt people, and they're going to do what you want for a while. But somebody is eventually going to get suspicious or fed up with your shlt and cause trouble.

When that happens I say, "bring it on! Let's play and see just how dangerous you can get". Rarely does anyone ever do it though.

One day I'll probably get myself killed for doing that, but I plan to get my knife wet before that happens. I won't be the only one dying.
Give me power and I'll show you a weapon of mass destruction.
Reaper
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Local time: Mon Apr 23, 2018 3:32 am
Blog: View Blog (1)

Postby ZombieZ » Sun Apr 08, 2018 11:06 am

Everyone is different and operates differently, but for me personally I find that when people are intimidated they will be more difficult and more defensive it gets really annoying dealing with people like this after awhile. I prefer to crack a stupid joke get them to lower their shields and then we can get down to business.
ZombieZ
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Postby caspin » Sun Apr 08, 2018 11:30 am

Zombieprepper wrote:Everyone is different and operates differently, but for me personally I find that when people are intimidated they will be more difficult and more defensive it gets really annoying dealing with people like this after awhile. I prefer to crack a stupid joke get them to lower their shields and then we can get down to business.

Yes I agree and you should not be laid back.
caspin
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Local time: Sun Apr 22, 2018 5:32 pm

Next

Return to Antisocial Personality Disorder Forum

• Related articles
    Replies
    Views
    Last post