Our partner

Mortality

Antisocial Personality Disorder message board, open discussion, and online support group.

Moderator: seabreezeblue

Forum rules
Attention Please. You are entering the ASPD forum. Please read this carefully.

Given the unique propensities of those who are faced with the issues of ASPD, topics at times may be uncomfortable for non ASPD readers. Discussions related to violent urges are permitted here, within the context of deeper understanding of the commonalties shared by members. Indulging these urges is not what regular users here are attempting to do.

Conversations here can be triggering for those who have suffered abuse or violent encounters. Respectful questioning is welcome from non ASPD members.

For those who have no respect for either this illness or for those who are living with it, please do not enter this forum. Discrimination of Personality Disorders is not tolerated on this site.

Moderators are present here to ensure that members treat each other with dignity and respect. If topics become overly graphic or drift from having a healthy perspective, moderators will intervene.
Please feel free to contact a moderator if you have any questions or concerns.

Best Regards,
The Team

Mortality

Postby xSid » Wed Mar 07, 2018 1:41 pm

Are you have come to terms with your mortality? The aging, loss of perfect physical condition, etc? Also have you ever been close to death and how did it feel to you?

I am mostly in terms with the fact that I will die in itself, but I have never been in terms with the fact I will age and become less capable physically. I dislike the idea of old age, inability to do things that I enjoy and illness. It feels like a compromise that future me will eventually have to do, and I hate the idea of it

Been *very* close to death in the past and the thought of the moment was, alright, that was that, no big deal. But it's one thing to die from an accident or injury and a completely different thing to watch yourself getting older and losing your ability. I will be 34 in a couple months and I am kind of mentally putting a limit to 40 y.o. - if I am not in a good health by then, maybe it is best to die and having lived a life that I enjoyed. What's the meaning of reaching 50 or 60 or even more, if after 40 your life has basically stopped and you have to spend the next decades taking care of your health and putting your life on the side (Also I am ######6 sick with fever and cough right now and I guess that feels pretty mortal and oppressing
xSid
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Local time: Wed Sep 19, 2018 11:32 am
Blog: View Blog (0)

ADVERTISEMENT

Re: Mortality

Postby CelestialFlame » Wed Mar 07, 2018 2:04 pm

Im killing myself before i get old enough to have wrinkles. Maybe around 45 or 50, haven’t made my mind up yet. I just don’t see the appeal in growing old. Your body deteriorates and your mind wanders, why would anyone want that? Its disgusting. I don’t want to be put in a nursing home where people wipe my ass because i can’t do it myself. I don’t want to be in and out of the hospital because i keep falling down. I don’t want to have back pain because im becoming weak.
Gosh, it disturbs me to see you, Gaston
Looking so down in the dumps
Every guy here'd love to be you, Gaston
Even when taking your lumps
There's no man in town as admired as you
You're everyone's favorite guy
Everyone's awed and inspired by you
And it's not very hard to see why!
CelestialFlame
Consumer 5
Consumer 5

Postby ohreos » Wed Mar 07, 2018 2:22 pm

I never wanted to live up to 40 because my mom already had wrinkles and was weak at that point but I came to realize in an early age that I could keep my youth a little longer if I had a healthy lifestyle and have been having this lifestyle ever since. Everytime people empathize with old people, I wonder why they haven’t killed themselves yet from living such a miserable life. Technology will advance and keeping your youthful looks for ages is a wonder in Asia. I don’t think it will be impossible for them to increase the life expectancy of people during the years before I turn 40. Other than that, I don’t want to die a predictable death, if I am going to die then somebody should go down with me to the pits of hell.
ohreos
Consumer 5
Consumer 5

Postby Knoxious » Wed Mar 07, 2018 2:32 pm

I know some 60-70 year olds who at times seem like they have more energy than i do.

I've been in a near death experience one time, and i got really still and focused. Afterward, it felt like nothing happened.

I've always told myself i'll kick it to 80, then shoot coke, murder someone, then jump out of a plane holding a cheeseburger. Something really intense like that. But if my life doesn't turn around from what it has been recently, i could end up dying in a jail cell.

Starbucks Coffee. I want a large, hot blonde roast with no room.
- Knox
Knoxious
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Local time: Wed Sep 19, 2018 7:32 am
Blog: View Blog (2)

Postby ohreos » Wed Mar 07, 2018 2:41 pm

Knoxious wrote:I know some 60-70 year olds who at times seem like they have more energy than i do.

I've been in a near death experience one time, and i got really still and focused. Afterward, it felt like nothing happened.

I've always told myself i'll kick it to 80, then shoot coke, murder someone, then jump out of a plane holding a cheeseburger. Something really intense like that. But if my life doesn't turn around from what it has been recently, i could end up dying in a jail cell.

Starbucks Coffee. I want a large, hot blonde roast with no room.

Starbucks? Of all the coffees that exist you choose a cheap one?
ohreos
Consumer 5
Consumer 5

Postby shanzeek » Wed Mar 07, 2018 3:11 pm

Are all of you serious? :lol:
Well if physical appearance is the only thing you're basing your identity on, I can see how few wrinkes would push you to suicide. That kind of thinking is hilarious. No, I don't plan on ending my life in my 40s/50s. I think its the age of maturity in which people finally figure some things out, some dedicate more to academia, writing/publishing their work, others to children/grandchildren, etc. I'm not willing to give up the wisdom that comes with it just because I won't be in 'perfect physical condition'.
I did though spend a decent amount of time (doing a film exercise) in a retirement home and after everything I've seen, I probably wouldn't wanna end up there. Looked like a waiting room for death.
shanzeek
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Local time: Wed Sep 19, 2018 1:32 pm

Postby crystal_richardson_ » Wed Mar 07, 2018 3:21 pm

i echo the sentiments in this thread. in fact, i think xsid made this thread with me in mind

i have a question about retirement homes:

do they really die naturally or are they killed by the staff at a certain point?

one thing i notice is that old people in retirement homes, it's like they acquire the ability to predict their death. i notice in the months before they die they will say their goodbyes to their grand children, etc, without explicitly letting on that they are going to die.

are the old people allowed to request euthanasia?

i don't believe many die naturally.
crystal_richardson_
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Postby naps » Wed Mar 07, 2018 4:59 pm

Thank you shanzeek. I was going to post a pic of a very shallow pond or puddle, but I suspect that would have flown over a few heads.

When I was twenty, thirty seemed like the time to pack it in. But when I reached thirty, it wasn't so bad. I had some great experiences in my thirties. Sex became better than ever. But forty was scary, until I got there. And so on.

Yes, with age comes wisdom, but that's such a tired old phrase it doesn't have any meaning until you've experienced it. And it's not so much wisdom as experience. Not just experience with the world, but experience with living in your own head. Decisions become easier, more clear because you've amassed a catalogue of mistakes from which to cull various lessons you can apply rather easily.

I look at my journal entries from my twenties and lo and behold, I sounded just as idiotic as some of the posters who responded to this thread.

It's not just the wisdom/experience thing that benefits you as you age; you adapt your preconceived notions of what getting older will be like to the reality of how you actually feel and function. It’s a coping mechanism. Not everyone has it.
Be nice.
naps
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Local time: Wed Sep 19, 2018 7:32 am

Postby julllia » Wed Mar 07, 2018 5:05 pm

Worse is illness than death. I am fine with death. I prefer it than debilitating illness.

@shanzeek there can be 2 kinds of narcissists you know the one who obsess with appearance and the others with intelligence and intellectual stuff. Or money.power can come from money.
So i guess those with the intellectual might want to die older :lol:

I didn't want to pass over 20,then i didn't want to pass over 25,then over 30,now i don't want to pass over 35. But i am still here somehow. Is not that easy to die. When i was a teenager i still remember thinking i don't want to go over 21.
Plus i wonder often why do people want to live so much .even when their lives are boring. They must feel something different than me.
About weakness. With empathy is not so scary because people want to protect you and love you even then.but of course we don't live in the most empathetic world.the opposite so is bad. Also probably they have emotional connections that make them want to stay.or maybe money.or passion for something.
julllia
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Local time: Wed Sep 19, 2018 1:32 pm

Postby xSid » Wed Mar 07, 2018 10:31 pm

shanzeek wrote:Are all of you serious? :lol:
Well if physical appearance is the only thing you're basing your identity on, I can see how few wrinkes would push you to suicide. That kind of thinking is hilarious. No, I don't plan on ending my life in my 40s/50s. I think its the age of maturity in which people finally figure some things out, some dedicate more to academia, writing/publishing their work, others to children/grandchildren, etc. I'm not willing to give up the wisdom that comes with it just because I won't be in 'perfect physical condition'.
I did though spend a decent amount of time (doing a film exercise) in a retirement home and after everything I've seen, I probably wouldn't wanna end up there. Looked like a waiting room for death.

Ofc I am serious. I don't give a ###$ about physical appearance/wrinkles, but I do give a ###$ about being able to take care of myself always, under every and any circumstances, and to be able to things I enjoy in all circumstances. I haven't took great care of health in my younger years, and I am enough of a realist to know that the decline will come.

I don't intend to start missing out on things for the abstract concept of better health when I am older, cause, if you don't do it while you still can, then what's the point of being alive at all? I am feeling that my time is running out and that I won't be eternally healthy and able. It's a realization that the things that appeal to me and make my life worth living also require a physical condition, health, stamina, a jest for life that I am coming to the realization that it's not gonna last forever, maybe not even for long enough

Of course I am not discarting the possibility that I might start find different things worth doing in the future (I don't think I have a future in academia though). I can only judge with my current criteria and, the way I see life right now, being old, sick, having to take care of my liver, or my back pains, etc, sucks

-- Wed Mar 07, 2018 10:32 pm --

crystal_richardson_ wrote:i echo the sentiments in this thread. in fact, i think xsid made this thread with me in mind

You know it, cutiepie. You are always the first and only thing in my mind. Though I refuse to believe that someone with the name of a stripper might get old - I just *know* you will always be youthful and hot
xSid
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Next

Return to Antisocial Personality Disorder Forum