Our partner

Mortality

Antisocial Personality Disorder message board, open discussion, and online support group.

Moderator: seabreezeblue

Forum rules
Attention Please. You are entering the ASPD forum. Please read this carefully.

Given the unique propensities of those who are faced with the issues of ASPD, topics at times may be uncomfortable for non ASPD readers. Discussions related to violent urges are permitted here, within the context of deeper understanding of the commonalties shared by members. Indulging these urges is not what regular users here are attempting to do.

Conversations here can be triggering for those who have suffered abuse or violent encounters. Respectful questioning is welcome from non ASPD members.

For those who have no respect for either this illness or for those who are living with it, please do not enter this forum. Discrimination of Personality Disorders is not tolerated on this site.

Moderators are present here to ensure that members treat each other with dignity and respect. If topics become overly graphic or drift from having a healthy perspective, moderators will intervene.
Please feel free to contact a moderator if you have any questions or concerns.

Best Regards,
The Team

Re: Mortality

Postby caspin » Thu Mar 08, 2018 7:05 pm

emericanblazer wrote:then I would be the one who have lived you out at least two lifes on your own little list.

if your referring to my “list” of life experiences then theres no way for u to know that because i dont know you and you dont know me.

-- Thu Mar 08, 2018 12:33 pm --

can someone tell me how to quote correctly

You click the text like you would copy it and quote.
Or it is a button to quote if you see it.
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
caspin
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Local time: Sat Sep 22, 2018 9:00 am
Blog: View Blog (0)

ADVERTISEMENT

Postby emericanblazer » Thu Mar 08, 2018 8:57 pm

You click the text like you would copy it and quote.
Or it is a button to quote if you see it.

thx
emericanblazer
Consumer 1
Consumer 1

Local time: Sat Sep 22, 2018 2:00 am

Postby xSid » Thu Mar 08, 2018 11:29 pm

Aeva117 wrote:I have a condition that means my body has gotten steadily less cooperative with each year. At 26, I use a cane full-time and occasionally a wheelchair. My form is usually not fatal, but it makes getting there more like torture. I still do pretty much everything I want, just a little differently. My body doesn't look any different from the outside, so I still get hit on. When I start to get severely limited or dependent, I'll off myself.

Even before I was diagnosed, I've always found the idea of death very comforting, and I have no idea why people are afraid of it, or mourn when others die. I always assumed I'd die around 40, like my mother.

Dude that sucks. Can you have sex normally? Get out a lot or are stuck at home? How about getting dressed, taking a bath etc, do you need someone to help you with all that stuffs? If I was like this in my 20s I am pretty sure I would hate life
xSid
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Local time: Sat Sep 22, 2018 8:00 am

Postby saudade7 » Thu Mar 08, 2018 11:29 pm

I never saw the dread over looking old unless you worry you'll need to impress people still. My mom has that fear and claims it's because she can't retire and that companies discriminate against older people, so if she looks young she will somehow have a job in old age. That doesn't make much sense to me, as they'd find out her true age from legal documents, and unless she's applying for a modeling job or something where specifically her looks matter, then their real concern will be that she may decide on retirement not long after joining the company. I think people who fear looking old do so almost entirely because they fear being deemed unworthy of a sex life, lol.

I think the worst part of growing old is being uncomfortable and more prone to things, but a lot of the changes are gradual so I imagine it's not necessarily like your well-being was suddenly yanked from you. Though in some cases it is. But everyone would also be a pedophile if there wasn't some kind of natural, subtle mental progression that readies people for aging.
saudade7
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Local time: Sat Sep 22, 2018 8:00 am

Postby The_Essentials » Fri Mar 09, 2018 12:39 am

xSid wrote:Are you have come to terms with your mortality? The aging, loss of perfect physical condition, etc? Also have you ever been close to death and how did it feel to you?

I am mostly in terms with the fact that I will die in itself, but I have never been in terms with the fact I will age and become less capable physically. I dislike the idea of old age, inability to do things that I enjoy and illness. It feels like a compromise that future me will eventually have to do, and I hate the idea of it

Been *very* close to death in the past and the thought of the moment was, alright, that was that, no big deal. But it's one thing to die from an accident or injury and a completely different thing to watch yourself getting older and losing your ability. I will be 34 in a couple months and I am kind of mentally putting a limit to 40 y.o. - if I am not in a good health by then, maybe it is best to die and having lived a life that I enjoyed. What's the meaning of reaching 50 or 60 or even more, if after 40 your life has basically stopped and you have to spend the next decades taking care of your health and putting your life on the side (Also I am ######6 sick with fever and cough right now and I guess that feels pretty mortal and oppressing

I meant to reply to this thread earlier, very interesting subject.

In my youth I did not care if I died or not. I attribute this to ignorance & that whole "I'm invincible" thing most young people have. There was a large portion of my life where I did things I really shouldn't have done that put my life in entirely unnecessary risk.

Part of it is that I am not afraid to die. That doesn't mean I want to die though, let me be clear on that point. I want to be alive, life is fun. Being dead seems not so fun, ya dig?

Being aware that you're going to die, accepting it.. and I mean truly accepting it without fear or reservation is actually quite the freeing process. Each and every day is valuable to me specifically because I am so very much aware that I will die, sooner than later I imagine. Time is not on our side, us humans. Biologically speaking once you pass the 30 mark, everything in your body is slowly dying from that point on. Brain elasticity slows, cellular regeneration slows, your muscles and skin take longer to repair.. in short, you've passed your prime and are on the downswing. Some argue that we're dying from the moment we're born, which in a sense is true I suppose.

I've almost died a few times, some by drugs, others by accident/injury. I've never experienced the whole "white light" #######4 and I seriously question the sanity of anyone that claims that. My take away from almost dying was simply.. Dying is incredibly easy, as we humans are incredibly fragile creatures. Hit your head in the wrong spot in the wrong way and boom, you're dead. It can happen from you tripping, or something falling on your head randomly.. Death is everywhere, in short. So I value life. If I want to try something, I try it. If I want to do something, I do it. I quit my previous job/career that I hated and went back to school for something I enjoy and get a lot out of. I don't like wasting time doing things I don't enjoy, and I try to enjoy life to the fullest.

Without a healthy respect for your mortality, I think you miss out on a lot of what life has to offer. If we lived forever, nothing would have value, or meaning. There is value and meaning in things specifically because we're only here for a short amount of time.

Those who fear death spend their entire life running from something they can't possibly escape. That, to me, is a giant waste of time.
All things serve the Beam - "Ka"

Baby-bunting, baby-dear, Baby, bring your berries here. Chussit, chissit, chassit! Bring enough to fill your basket!
The_Essentials
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Local time: Sat Sep 22, 2018 3:00 am

Postby Aeva117 » Fri Mar 09, 2018 5:32 am

xSid wrote:Dude that sucks. Can you have sex normally? Get out a lot or are stuck at home? How about getting dressed, taking a bath etc, do you need someone to help you with all that stuffs? If I was like this in my 20s I am pretty sure I would hate life

For now, I can do most things an able-bodied person can, just adapted (cane/wheelchair, shower chair, stool in my kitchen to cook/wash dishes, etc). The primary issue is just constant pain. I work full time, but don't really do much else because I don't have the energy. Lots of Netflix, video games and cuddling with my dog. I do something "big" (museum, movies, shopping) maybe once a month, with my wheelchair and a friend. There are a lot of people with my condition that are house or bed bound though. I will continue to get worse, but there's no telling to what extent. I probably should accept help far more than I do, but I'm stubbornly independent in every aspect of my life.

Penetrative sex is torture for me, but since I date women, it's not as much of an issue. Occasionally I'll ###$ a dude out of convenience, but it always ends with "why the hell did I do that??" and returning to girls.
RAD kid turned PD-NOS adult (which doesn't exist anymore). Basically a mix-and-match.
Aeva117
Consumer 5
Consumer 5

Local time: Sat Sep 22, 2018 3:00 am

Previous

Return to Antisocial Personality Disorder Forum