Our partner

Victim Impact Statements

Antisocial Personality Disorder message board, open discussion, and online support group.

Moderator: seabreezeblue

Forum rules
Attention Please. You are entering the ASPD forum. Please read this carefully.

Given the unique propensities of those who are faced with the issues of ASPD, topics at times may be uncomfortable for non ASPD readers. Discussions related to violent urges are permitted here, within the context of deeper understanding of the commonalties shared by members. Indulging these urges is not what regular users here are attempting to do.

Conversations here can be triggering for those who have suffered abuse or violent encounters. Respectful questioning is welcome from non ASPD members.

For those who have no respect for either this illness or for those who are living with it, please do not enter this forum. Discrimination of Personality Disorders is not tolerated on this site.

Moderators are present here to ensure that members treat each other with dignity and respect. If topics become overly graphic or drift from having a healthy perspective, moderators will intervene.
Please feel free to contact a moderator if you have any questions or concerns.

Best Regards,
The Team

Victim Impact Statements

Postby Dulcet » Tue Mar 06, 2018 5:20 pm

When you get sentenced, at least here, "victims" are allowed to come in and say how your crime impacted them. Do you think anyone being sentenced who listens to this actually feels bad? Or is it acting time? An acting judge I understand it's more for the sentencing, but I never got why your sentence is relative to someone who isn't even qualified to understand your mental status (judge/jury) deciding how mentally sorry you are. Is the assumption that if you feel bad you wont do it again? If so, why? I don't do a lot of things but it's not because I feel bad, it's because it creates inconvenient situations for me. Why isn't selfishness a valid motivator in court systems? It's really the best one. I don't get the point of all this fully. This video is an example but not a good example for a case where someone may walk free, which makes this situation even more silly.

Also I think OJ had a great court face.

Dulcet
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Local time: Thu Jul 19, 2018 7:56 am
Blog: View Blog (2)

ADVERTISEMENT

Re: Victim Impact Statements

Postby ohreos » Tue Mar 06, 2018 6:57 pm

Somebody who feels bad for their crime get sentenced less because they get to carry the guilt of their crime while the people that don’t get a longer sentence for them to hopefully regret their actions. If somebody doesn’t feel bad they can choose to act, its the same as manners. Give the media the reaction they want to see and they wont complain any further about the sentencing. Many judges are unfair and judge by their emotional response to the situation instead of strictly following what the law says. It’s up to the lawyer to bring up your mental status.
ohreos
Consumer 5
Consumer 5

Blog: View Blog (0)

Postby Pennywise » Tue Mar 06, 2018 7:04 pm

Victim impact statements may be more useful for the victims to get things off their chest, than to a perpetrator that is not able to feel.

-- Tue Mar 06, 2018 12:09 pm --

I don't know if the court actually takes victim impact statements into account but I think it's important that the judge and jury hear from the victims in any criminal proceedings, if the victim wants to be heard.
Fear kills more dreams than failure ever will.
Pennywise
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Local time: Thu Jul 19, 2018 12:56 am

Postby Quoth » Tue Mar 06, 2018 7:21 pm

This is the Crown Prosecution Service’s list

The purpose of a VPS is to:

give victims a more structured opportunity to state how the crime has affected them - physically, emotionally, psychologically, financially or in any other way;

allow victims to express their concerns in relation to bail or the fear of intimidation by or on behalf of the defendant;

provide victims with a means by which they can say whether they feel that the crime was racially motivated or that their age, gender, faith, sexuality or disability played a part in the crime;

provide victims with the opportunity of stating whether or not they wish to claim compensation or request assistance from Victim Support or any other help agency;

provide the criminal justice agencies with a ready source of information on how the particular crime has affected the victim or in the cases of homicide, the family of the victim; and a practical way of ensuring that the sentencing court will consider, (in accordance with s.143 of the Criminal Justice Act 2003), "any harm which the offence caused".

It really isnt for the benefit of the accused at all.
”The man would then tear up little pieces of paper above the street, and the creatures, attracted by this shower of white butterflies, came out into the middle of the road, raising enquiring paws towards the last pieces of paper. At this the little old man would spit on the cats, firmly and accurately.”
Quoth
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Postby caspin » Tue Mar 06, 2018 8:18 pm

Dulcet welcome to psychforum as a victim, what is your statement?
caspin
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Local time: Thu Jul 19, 2018 8:56 am

Postby Eight » Tue Mar 06, 2018 8:40 pm

Quoth wrote:It really isnt for the benefit of the accused at all.

It isn't for the benefit of the guilty party at all.
If hearing the victim's statement has an effect on the person found guilty of the crime, good. That sometimes happens. But that is dubious and not the purpose.
It is so that the victim's voice can be heard. It is for the empowering of the victim.
I think that is a good thing, and a necessity, if any form of justice is to be served.
Eight
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Local time: Wed Jul 18, 2018 11:56 pm

Postby emericanblazer » Tue Mar 06, 2018 9:01 pm

saw the first video.i find using the courts/goverment as a means to get back at someone/seek justice pathetic and is a win by the courts not the victims.if i was raped or sexually abused i would rather them get away with it then pull some bltch shyt like that :lol:

and for the oj simpson vid do u guys think he is guilty or nah?i think he is definitely involved with theor deaths
emericanblazer
Consumer 1
Consumer 1

Local time: Thu Jul 19, 2018 1:56 am

Postby Pennywise » Tue Mar 06, 2018 9:17 pm

emericanblazer wrote:saw the first video.i find using the courts/goverment as a means to get back at someone/seek justice pathetic and is a win by the courts not the victims.if i was raped or sexually abused i would rather them get away with it then pull some bltch shyt like that :lol:

and for the oj simpson vid do u guys think he is guilty or nah?i think he is definitely involved with theor deaths
Well most victims probably don't feel the same way you do, I'm guessing. They feel that their power was taken away from them, having been a victim of crime, and making a victim impact statement is a way of taking some of that power back, symbolically at least. In front of the courts. Maybe you think the courts are $#%^ tho. lol

-- Tue Mar 06, 2018 2:19 pm --

I would not rather see someone who raped me get away with it, then go through the courts, personally. I'd rather see the end result which is my rapist goes to jail. Rather than walk the streets and keep raping.
Fear kills more dreams than failure ever will.
Pennywise
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Local time: Thu Jul 19, 2018 12:56 am

Postby caspin » Tue Mar 06, 2018 10:10 pm

Pennywise wrote:
emericanblazer wrote:saw the first video.i find using the courts/goverment as a means to get back at someone/seek justice pathetic and is a win by the courts not the victims.if i was raped or sexually abused i would rather them get away with it then pull some bltch shyt like that :lol:

Well most victims probably don't feel the same way you do, I'm guessing. They feel that their power was taken away from them, having been a victim of crime, and making a victim impact statement is a way of taking some of that power back, symbolically at least. In front of the courts. Maybe you think the courts are $#%^ tho. lol

-- Tue Mar 06, 2018 2:19 pm --

I would not rather see someone who raped me get away with it, then go through the courts, personally. I'd rather see the end result which is my rapist goes to jail. Rather than walk the streets and keep raping.

Then I guess you havent met my hamster Nisse.
caspin
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Local time: Thu Jul 19, 2018 8:56 am

Postby Eight » Tue Mar 06, 2018 10:56 pm

emericanblazer wrote:i find using the courts/goverment as a means to get back at someone/seek justice pathetic and is a win by the courts not the victims.

I don't see what is so pathetic about it. "Larry" is going to prison for the rest of his life. He'll never eat what he wants, sleep when he wants, go where he wants, wear what he feels like, or do anything at all as he wishes. To me, that would be satisfying if I were one of his victims.

if i was raped or sexually abused i would rather them get away with it then pull some bltch shyt like that :lol:
I very much doubt that. Sounds like false pride talking to me.
Eight
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Local time: Wed Jul 18, 2018 11:56 pm

Next

Return to Antisocial Personality Disorder Forum

• Related articles
    Replies
    Views
    Last post