Our partner

The Honest And The Dishonest Among Us

Antisocial Personality Disorder message board, open discussion, and online support group.

Moderator: seabreezeblue

Forum rules
Attention Please. You are entering the ASPD forum. Please read this carefully.

Given the unique propensities of those who are faced with the issues of ASPD, topics at times may be uncomfortable for non ASPD readers. Discussions related to violent urges are permitted here, within the context of deeper understanding of the commonalties shared by members. Indulging these urges is not what regular users here are attempting to do.

Conversations here can be triggering for those who have suffered abuse or violent encounters. Respectful questioning is welcome from non ASPD members.

For those who have no respect for either this illness or for those who are living with it, please do not enter this forum. Discrimination of Personality Disorders is not tolerated on this site.

Moderators are present here to ensure that members treat each other with dignity and respect. If topics become overly graphic or drift from having a healthy perspective, moderators will intervene.
Please feel free to contact a moderator if you have any questions or concerns.

Best Regards,
The Team

The Honest And The Dishonest Among Us

Postby Reaper » Mon Mar 05, 2018 7:00 am

I want to see some action on this forum and this topic should stir things up a bit. It applies to everyone who posts here, whether they have AsPD or not.

This thread is about how people present themselves here - the claims they make about themselves and their personality, how it's expressed and presented.

So, here is a question or two for you all:

- Who do you think is genuine here and who do you think is not? And, what information are you basing your opinion on? Explain.

I'll probably get some crap for posting this thread, but I don't give a shlt. This is not a personality contest, so don't treat it like one.

If anything posted in this thread by other members upsets you, grow some balls and suck it up. Maybe there is something we could all learn from it.
Whether you're a King or a sweeper you'll meet the grim Reaper
Reaper
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Local time: Wed Sep 19, 2018 9:30 pm
Blog: View Blog (1)

ADVERTISEMENT

Re: The Honest And The Dishonest Among Us

Postby ShowJumpingRabbit » Mon Mar 05, 2018 7:59 am

I find people pretty genuine on here, this is why it's my favorite forum. People are calling each other out so there is less room for complacency than in other places.

By genuine, I mean that people seem true to themselves. If by "the dishonest among us" you meant people who are lying to themselves, then it's another story...
ShowJumpingRabbit
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Local time: Wed Sep 19, 2018 5:30 am
Blog: View Blog (0)

Postby Reaper » Mon Mar 05, 2018 9:12 am

ShowJumpingRabbit wrote:If by "the dishonest among us" you meant people who are lying to themselves, then it's another story...

I meant all - lying to others and/or themselves. Though, I'm not really sure how someone lies to themselves. What does that mean exactly and how do you know if they are or not?

Looking for lies is easy because contradictions and the holes in people's stories make them obvious, but delusion, if that's what you're talking about, can be harder to detect. If an accusation is based purely on one's lack of trust in that person, as is often the case here when accusations like that are thrown around, then anyone here could be accused of being delusional.
Reaper
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Postby CelestialFlame » Mon Mar 05, 2018 4:49 pm

Wish i could answer this but i don’t pay enough attention to other people on here to remember their posts and stories. I should probably start paying more attention since i am on here almost everyday. My focus is more self centered than not most of the time. Besides i don’t particularly care if someone’s telling the truth. Its their life and im only concerned about mine.
Gosh, it disturbs me to see you, Gaston
Looking so down in the dumps
Every guy here'd love to be you, Gaston
Even when taking your lumps
There's no man in town as admired as you
You're everyone's favorite guy
Everyone's awed and inspired by you
And it's not very hard to see why!
CelestialFlame
Consumer 5
Consumer 5

Local time: Wed Sep 19, 2018 10:30 am

Postby naps » Mon Mar 05, 2018 5:40 pm

Reaper wrote:I'm not really sure how someone lies to themselves. What does that mean exactly and how do you know if they are or not?

Lying to yourself is sort of like having self-imposed delusions about yourself. People usually know when they're lying to themselves, but the lie is usually about something they don't want to face, so they carry on with it. If they tell themselves the lie long enough, then they will start to believe it, and it becomes a delusion.

I don't think there's any way you can tell if someone's lying to themselves on a forum like this short of examining their post history and looking for contradictions or information that don't add up.
Be nice.
naps
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Local time: Wed Sep 19, 2018 6:30 am

Postby caspin » Mon Mar 05, 2018 6:01 pm

Reaper wrote:I want to see some action on this forum and this topic should stir things up a bit. It applies to everyone who posts here, whether they have AsPD or not.

This thread is about how people present themselves here - the claims they make about themselves and their personality, how it's expressed and presented.

So, here is a question or two for you all:

- Who do you think is genuine here and who do you think is not? And, what information are you basing your opinion on? Explain.

I'll probably get some crap for posting this thread, but I don't give a shlt. This is not a personality contest, so don't treat it like one.

If anything posted in this thread by other members upsets you, grow some balls and suck it up. Maybe there is something we could all learn from it.

Dishonest probably ifog. Written he became a sociopath or a psychopath from abuse from his father. I cant really see how that make anyone an sociopath. You are born as you are and different things in life have an effect but it cant make you an sociopath.
Btw psychopath/sociopath is the same thing for me.
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
caspin
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Local time: Wed Sep 19, 2018 11:30 am

Postby ShowJumpingRabbit » Mon Mar 05, 2018 6:26 pm

Reaper wrote:I meant all - lying to others and/or themselves. Though, I'm not really sure how someone lies to themselves. What does that mean exactly and how do you know if they are or not?

Looking for lies is easy because contradictions and the holes in people's stories make them obvious, but delusion, if that's what you're talking about, can be harder to detect.

There are two types of clues you may look for: logic inconsistencies vs discrepancies in motivation (pure logic vs logic of feelings). It's more a question of what you are attuned to perceive rather than some clues being absolutely harder to detect.

Reaper wrote:If an accusation is based purely on one's lack of trust in that person, as is often the case here when accusations like that are thrown around, then anyone here could be accused of being delusional.

Delusion is a strong word, it's denial I was referring to. Pure logic itself does a good job at spotting BS, but, in the end, one often overlaps with the other.

We're all in denial, yes, to different degrees. But more importantly about different things. That's where the cooperative nature of a forum comes in handy. It's not about accusing people as much as perceiving their blind spots. Of course, you may end up feeling accused or one may accuse you under the guise of caring. But it's nothing that communication can't solve.
ShowJumpingRabbit
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Local time: Wed Sep 19, 2018 5:30 am

Postby julllia » Mon Mar 05, 2018 6:44 pm

An example lying to yourself is like having to face something painful and instead of admitting to yourself that is painful, you refuse to admit it even exists. Blocking the pain completely that you can't find it anymore.
Having a blind spot in your behavior. Because your behavior might come because of this pain. But you can't even see it. So the ones who can see it have an advantage
julllia
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Local time: Wed Sep 19, 2018 12:30 pm

Postby Reaper » Mon Mar 05, 2018 7:11 pm

ShowJumpingRabbit wrote:We're all in denial, yes, to different degrees. But more importantly about different things. That's where the cooperative nature of a forum comes in handy. It's not about accusing people as much as perceiving their blind spots. Of course, you may end up feeling accused or one may accuse you under the guise of caring. But it's nothing that communication can't solve.

I like the way you put that. It makes sense.

julllia wrote:An example lying to yourself is like having to face something painful and instead of admitting to yourself that is painful, you refuse to admit it even exists. Blocking the pain completely that you can't find it anymore.
Having a blind spot in your behavior. Because your behavior might come because of this pain. But you can't even see it. So the ones who can see it have an advantage

What if they're not in pain though and you're just assuming they are.

I've seen you do that here, assume someone experienced trauma only to have them tell you they didn't at all. Who are you to say what someone else is experiencing or has experienced.
Reaper
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Postby Sixoclock0 » Mon Mar 05, 2018 7:26 pm

What dishonesty? To whom are we accountable?

I'm currently disclosing at just for fun section about my spare time spent with the ducks. I'm dead serious, I've got zero interest in lies. The most I've ever done is conceal personal information.
..What the heck for. :roll:
Dx: Bipolar II
☆ In a world where you can be anything. Be kind. ☆
Sixoclock0
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Local time: Wed Sep 19, 2018 1:30 pm

Next

Return to Antisocial Personality Disorder Forum