Our partner

Ask someone with severe ASPD a question

Antisocial Personality Disorder message board, open discussion, and online support group.
Forum rules
Attention Please. The AsPD FORUM IS CLOSED.

The AsPD forum is closed for an indefinite period of time pending discussion of member usage, and relevance of the forum, and for revision of the forum's policies. We ask that you NOT to take AsPD threads and discussions into other forums here. This will result in being permanently banned from the forums and will only result to a longer period of forum locking or a permanent shut down. Please respect the safe spaces that those forums represent for other members here.

The Team

Re: Ask someone with severe ASPD a question

Postby Reaper » Tue Jan 05, 2016 4:28 am

Here is something that may interest some of you: What Happens When a Psychopath Falls In Love

https://www.psychologytoday.com/blog/fulfillment-any-age/201505/what-happens-when-psychopath-falls-in-love

Individuals who fit the criteria of psychopathic personality disorder—whether or not they also engage in criminal behavior—exhibit behaviors associated with an avoidant attachment style, being unable to form close intimate relationships. Emotional detachment and lack of empathy—two key indicators of psychopathic personality disorder—also relate to maladaptive attachment styles.
Reaper
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Local time: Sat May 15, 2021 10:26 am
Blog: View Blog (1)

ADVERTISEMENT

Postby TheSinner » Tue Jan 05, 2016 4:36 am

a lot of fluff and simply those displaying psychopathic traits but the point stands. it doesn't really end well.
TheSinner
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Local time: Fri May 14, 2021 7:26 pm
Blog: View Blog (0)

Postby justagirl00 » Tue Jan 05, 2016 4:40 am

TheSinner wrote:it sounds nice in theory but I don't think you'd want to be one of the rare cases of a psychopaths infatuation. typically it's obsessive, domineering and possessive to the degree that you will consume their thoughts and be their property.

if you own something, you can do with it whatever you please.

but for the love debate, I've read that sociopaths can form attachments to certain individuals and groups and they be excluded from the rest of the world in their view and actions. not all of them. though no psychopaths can, or atleast not human connections.

i had an ex-bf that acted that way with me. he had been in and out of jail, so, ASPD, maybe. but he would text me asking me where i was all the time and if i wasn't home he would freak out and tell me to get home and not talk to anyone until i got home. he said he would kill any guy who texted me and he went through my phone calling guys and threatening them. he asked me to tatt his name on me and said he owned me for life. that went on for like two years, even after i got another boyfriend he was still calling me and threatening to kill the guy.

i kind of thought he was just kidding the whole time though. it was just so over the top. it was hard to take it seriously. but i think he had a history of that kind of behavior with women. he was really dominant in bed too.
justagirl00
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Local time: Fri May 14, 2021 3:26 pm

Postby Reaper » Tue Jan 05, 2016 4:40 am

TheSinner wrote:a lot of fluff and simply those displaying psychopathic traits

It doesn't say those who have some psychopathic traits, but those who actually fit the criteria for psychopathic personality disorder (psychopaths).
Reaper
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Postby justagirl00 » Tue Jan 05, 2016 4:42 am

Reaper wrote:Here is something that may interest some of you: What Happens When a Psychopath Falls In Love

https://www.psychologytoday.com/blog/fulfillment-any-age/201505/what-happens-when-psychopath-falls-in-love

Individuals who fit the criteria of psychopathic personality disorder—whether or not they also engage in criminal behavior—exhibit behaviors associated with an avoidant attachment style, being unable to form close intimate relationships. Emotional detachment and lack of empathy—two key indicators of psychopathic personality disorder—also relate to maladaptive attachment styles.

i have an avoidant attachment style too. but i can still get attracted to people, i just have trouble getting close to anyone. i prefer to keep things at arms length.
justagirl00
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Postby Smelljasmine » Tue Jan 05, 2016 4:44 am

Then you have to assume they can be attracted to you, like you and want sex with you.

Is that love?
Smelljasmine
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Local time: Fri May 14, 2021 2:26 pm

Postby justagirl00 » Tue Jan 05, 2016 4:46 am

@ Smelljasmine i guess love is an abstract concept. there is no one definition

i kind of consider that intense of an attraction a form of love, but not a healthy kind of love
justagirl00
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Postby TheSinner » Tue Jan 05, 2016 4:53 am

then I'll have to call bull $#%^, they took 140 couples so 280 people and psychopathy is a condition that affects less then 1% of the population.

plus the fact they were couples for atleast 7 years beforehand. some psychopaths stay in relationships that long, but not many and that would also mean even less of the amount of total psychopaths worldwide would be eligible. you could say they did not need many but there would be a requirement of likely atleast 10 males and 10 females who fit the DX along with some couples who both would be psychopaths.

seems improbable. psychopathic traits as I assumed, yes, would be possible.
TheSinner
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Local time: Fri May 14, 2021 7:26 pm

Postby Reaper » Tue Jan 05, 2016 5:01 am

justagirl00 wrote:i have an avoidant attachment style too. but i can still get attracted to people, i just have trouble getting close to anyone. i prefer to keep things at arms length.

I have an avoidant attachment style as well. I too can still get attracted to people, but only because I want to have casual sex with them, not to get into a relationship with them.

If anyone is interested there's a test here to determine your attachment style:

http://dianepooleheller.com/attachment-quiz/

Avoidant

In the avoidant attachment style, caregivers’ emotionally unavailable, insensitive and even hostile responses to a child’s need for connection forms a coping strategy of disconnection in a child. Avoidantly attached people commonly find their greatest struggle to be a lack of emotion. Without intimate nurturance the limbic system is neurologically starved and does not receive the signals required for building social responses nor the frontal brain stimulation that develops bonding.

This disconnection extends first to the parents and then to all other relationships. Though some of our cultural models extol the virtues of this self-reliant lone-wolf behavior (think X man Wolverine, or the quintessential “Desperado” cowboy icon), actually living with such a lack of emotional attunement can be increasingly isolated.
Reaper
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Postby justagirl00 » Tue Jan 05, 2016 5:08 am

Reaper wrote:
justagirl00 wrote:i have an avoidant attachment style too. but i can still get attracted to people, i just have trouble getting close to anyone. i prefer to keep things at arms length.

I have an avoidant attachment style as well. I too can still get attracted to people, but only because I want to have casual sex with them, not to get into a relationship with them.

i prefer FWB too

it seems like too many guys say they want FWB then they start playing weird mind games. that's when it gets weird, for me.
justagirl00
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

PreviousNext

Return to Antisocial Personality Disorder Forum

• Related articles
    Replies
    Views
    Last post