Our partner

Cognitive empathy

Antisocial Personality Disorder message board, open discussion, and online support group.
Forum rules
Attention Please. The AsPD FORUM IS CLOSED.

The AsPD forum is closed for an indefinite period of time pending discussion of member usage, and relevance of the forum, and for revision of the forum's policies. We ask that you NOT to take AsPD threads and discussions into other forums here. This will result in being permanently banned from the forums and will only result to a longer period of forum locking or a permanent shut down. Please respect the safe spaces that those forums represent for other members here.

The Team

Re: Cognitive empathy

Postby toosober » Fri Jan 09, 2015 5:43 am

Academically I comprehend what empathy is and I react appropriately to other peoples emotional state. If I do not like that person I will react conversely , specifically if the other person wronged or treated me poorly. I see little advantage or purpose in utterly dismissing the feelings of another person. Again, it goes back to propriety.. If you burn too many bridges with too many people just for the sake of indulging your psychopathic tendency than you will invariably harm yourself and gain little to no respect. Unless you are a full blown psychopathic serial killer than it would behoove a regular psychopath to keep the " animal " at bay. Don't pretend to be the big scary monster just because you don't care. You soon will be marginalized by those you think fear you. Contrary to what some psychopaths think your average person doesn't fear you. They themselves don't really concern themselves of you or I. This might be disconcerting to some of you but it is reality. Sometimes we make ourselves more significant than we are. And their are millions of psychopath but only a few truly manifest into monsters and genuinely instill fear among their fellow man. Just because I lack empathy a monster I'm not. I simply lack the ability to care and that is it. How you live your life based on that fact is what matters.
toosober
Consumer 6
Consumer 6
 
Posts: 345
Joined: Wed Mar 19, 2014 12:31 am
Local time: Fri Aug 14, 2020 12:33 am
Blog: View Blog (0)


ADVERTISEMENT

Re: Cognitive empathy

Postby Reaper » Fri Jan 09, 2015 6:40 am

toosober wrote:Don't pretend to be the big scary monster just because you don't care.


I think it's society that labels people as 'monsters' more so than the individuals themselves.

If you don't meet the social standards that are expected of you and aren't compliant with the laws of society, then you get labelled as a monster, a freak, an outcast, etc.

I've been labelled a freak and other similar names more times than I can remember and all by people who didn't even know me very well. I've also been threatened with violence a number of times simply because I have a particular interest in certain things that aren't socially acceptable. I didn't indicate whether or not I had even done the things I mentioned. Just mentioning my interest in them was enough to warrant me a threat, which I personally found somewhat ignorant.

Society expects us all to be sheep and just follow the rest of the herd. I'd rather cut my own path in life and do what pleases me, not what pleases society, especially when it's mostly full of mindless puppets.
User avatar
Reaper
Consumer 6
Consumer 6
 
Posts: 24201
Joined: Mon Dec 29, 2014 3:34 pm
Local time: Fri Aug 14, 2020 11:33 am
Blog: View Blog (1)

Re: Cognitive empathy

Postby creative_nothing » Fri Jan 09, 2015 12:14 pm

Dark Soul wrote:
creative_nothing wrote:
Have you ever met a socially awkward sociopath or psychopath...

In that case they would probrably be labeled schizoids, wouldnt them?


No, not necessarily. Not all schizoids are socially awkward. Unlike avoidants, who seem to be socially anxious, schizoids just don't care to socialize much.

Lack of regular socialization doesn't always mean lack of social skills.

They may not be extremely awkward, but they are at cluster A(odd).
Dx. GAD
In the animal kingdom, the rule is, eat or be eaten; in the human kingdom, define or be defined
Thomas Szasz
creative_nothing
Consumer 6
Consumer 6
 
Posts: 5138
Joined: Fri Oct 04, 2013 5:46 pm
Local time: Thu Aug 13, 2020 9:33 pm
Blog: View Blog (0)

Re: Cognitive empathy

Postby toosober » Fri Jan 09, 2015 2:18 pm

Hey Dark soul. Yes, society does label people into categories, specifically when said group of people contradict societal standards and values. This is done to segregate the outcasts from the rest of society and to maintain "order". And while it is true society often label psychopaths as monsters , which is not a fair accusation, their are some psychopaths who have bought into the notion that being the monster, merely for the sake of being one, is more advantageous. I argue to the contrary. I speculate that most psychopaths probably do not lead immoral lives and that the only thing truly separating us from society is how we interpret and feel empathy, or lack thereof. Not being able to feel empathy does not equal immoral behavior necessarily speaking nor does it make the person inherently immoral. I will concede that lacking empathy does perhaps make it easier to perpetrate crimes against people but lacking empathy doesn't equate to having a criminal mindset. At that level it has more to do with the individual rather than their clinical diagnosis.
Their are plenty of " normal " people who have empathy who act more monstrously than psychopaths. I stay under the radar because I don't want to be judged by a hypocritical society that refers to people like me as " bad " simply because I can't shed a tear for them when the going gets rough, so to speak. Be well Dark soul..
toosober
Consumer 6
Consumer 6
 
Posts: 345
Joined: Wed Mar 19, 2014 12:31 am
Local time: Fri Aug 14, 2020 12:33 am
Blog: View Blog (0)

Re: Cognitive empathy

Postby HereNow » Fri Jan 09, 2015 4:43 pm

miss_lilith wrote:
jipped wrote:Hey don't forget about what I wrote d1ckheads



Hahaha, of course not. :D

If it's any consolation, I laughed once in someone's face after he told me his mother died. He was a neighbour who stopped me while passing by almost every day to tell me some random jokes or whatever. I tried to be polite, so I just zoned out, nodded and laughed at appropriate moments, while I thought about something else entirely. So one day, he stops me and starts talking (I zoned out, of course) and when he stopped talking, I started laughing like a hyena. It took me a moment or two to figure out that I wasn't supposed to, after which I had to restrain from laughing even harder (at myself).

Oops. :mrgreen:


Laughing at death isn't a lack of empathy, its displaced emotion; a coping mechanism to deal with an uncomfortable situation. Lack of empathy would no reaction and nonchalance/confusion over others emotional reactions.
I may be on the side of the angels, but don't think for one second that I am one of them.
HereNow
Consumer 6
Consumer 6
 
Posts: 457
Joined: Sun Sep 21, 2014 6:24 pm
Local time: Thu Aug 13, 2020 6:33 pm
Blog: View Blog (0)

Re: Cognitive empathy

Postby miss_lilith » Fri Jan 09, 2015 4:47 pm

HereNow wrote:
miss_lilith wrote:
jipped wrote:Hey don't forget about what I wrote d1ckheads



Hahaha, of course not. :D

If it's any consolation, I laughed once in someone's face after he told me his mother died. He was a neighbour who stopped me while passing by almost every day to tell me some random jokes or whatever. I tried to be polite, so I just zoned out, nodded and laughed at appropriate moments, while I thought about something else entirely. So one day, he stops me and starts talking (I zoned out, of course) and when he stopped talking, I started laughing like a hyena. It took me a moment or two to figure out that I wasn't supposed to, after which I had to restrain from laughing even harder (at myself).

Oops. :mrgreen:


Laughing at death isn't a lack of empathy, its displaced emotion; a coping mechanism to deal with an uncomfortable situation. Lack of empathy would no reaction and nonchalance/confusion over others emotional reactions.


That post was a bit off topic, however you've misinterpreted what I meant to say. I didn't laugh out of lack of empathy, I laughed because I wasn't paying attention at all at what he was saying. Since I figured he was telling me one of his jokes, I laughed once he stopped talking so it would seem like I actually listened to him. It backfired (obviously).
I wonder, how many calories are burned by jumping to conclusions?
miss_lilith
Consumer 6
Consumer 6
 
Posts: 805
Joined: Fri Jan 02, 2015 5:56 pm
Local time: Fri Aug 14, 2020 2:33 am
Blog: View Blog (0)

Re: Cognitive empathy

Postby HereNow » Fri Jan 09, 2015 4:55 pm

I wasn't speaking only to you.
I may be on the side of the angels, but don't think for one second that I am one of them.
HereNow
Consumer 6
Consumer 6
 
Posts: 457
Joined: Sun Sep 21, 2014 6:24 pm
Local time: Thu Aug 13, 2020 6:33 pm
Blog: View Blog (0)

Re: Cognitive empathy

Postby miss_lilith » Fri Jan 09, 2015 4:59 pm

HereNow wrote:I wasn't speaking only to you.


Severe narc (along with ASPD) here. Bear with me. :D
I wonder, how many calories are burned by jumping to conclusions?
miss_lilith
Consumer 6
Consumer 6
 
Posts: 805
Joined: Fri Jan 02, 2015 5:56 pm
Local time: Fri Aug 14, 2020 2:33 am
Blog: View Blog (0)

Re: Cognitive empathy

Postby jipped » Fri Jan 09, 2015 5:01 pm

@too sober no I think you're wrong. I do think psychopaths are monsters but we have a reason when we snap on people. I think we are natural born leaders and competitor. It is installed in my head to be better than everyone and when someone challenges me I start losing it internally then if the situation calls for it you would see the "psychopath".

Overall I'm not a mean person (I'm justified ;) ) but I can admit I have no control over what makes me wantto hurt opeople. Sometimes I can choose not to obviously but I can't control the need mentally to fantasize, and sometimes once I let it out I keep it out until I'm satisfied.

@herenow a therapist I had to see for a referral told me she thought it was a defense mechanism like you just mentioned except it's not. I don't care... it doesn't bother me, I laugh at people when they get injured am I coping then too? No obviously.

Side note I believe there are more psychopaths than 1% if you add sociopath as well its obvious. Just look at ghetto areas people do what they have to do like the sword wielding days people were naturally
colder and could handle more.

Miss lillith you said you only had aspd in my message. ...
Dx-NPD with strong ASPD traits.

"In a prison environment, you would be labeled a psychopath"-psychologist
jipped
Consumer 6
Consumer 6
 
Posts: 1093
Joined: Thu Jul 17, 2014 12:47 pm
Local time: Thu Aug 13, 2020 6:33 pm
Blog: View Blog (0)

Re: Cognitive empathy

Postby miss_lilith » Fri Jan 09, 2015 5:05 pm

jipped wrote:
Miss lillith you said you only had aspd in my message. ...


Nope, I said I don't know whether I should be classified as a socio or psycho because not one of my shrinks used either of the terms in relation to me. However, I have NPD and ASPD.
I wonder, how many calories are burned by jumping to conclusions?
miss_lilith
Consumer 6
Consumer 6
 
Posts: 805
Joined: Fri Jan 02, 2015 5:56 pm
Local time: Fri Aug 14, 2020 2:33 am
Blog: View Blog (0)

PreviousNext

Return to Antisocial Personality Disorder Forum




  • Related articles
    Replies
    Views
    Last post

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 28 guests

cron