Our partner

Psychiatry Ideals

Open discussion about the Anti-Psychiatry Movement and related topics. This includes the opposition to forced treatment and hospitalization as well as the belief that Psychiatric Medication does more harm than good. Please note that these topics are controversial and therefore this forum may offend some people. This is not the belief of Psych Forums or Get Mental Help and this forum was posted to offer a safe place to discuss these beliefs.

Moderator: Riccola

Psychiatry Ideals

Postby xiexie » Sat Feb 20, 2021 3:47 am

First off as a disclaimer in case this is somehow triggering to anyone, I'm completely open to criticism if you think I'm missing some point, feel free to let me know if you think I did.

I know this forum isn't that active but from the threads I've read on the front page anyway it pretty much seems like the people that are here think that everything to do with psychiatry is always wrong no matter what, and that the world would be better off without any mental health "care" at all. Is this just me?

Psychiatry when involuntary is an extremely grey area imo. At times mental illness creates situations that are simply tragic and that won't end without anyone being damaged. People are just people and mental illness is mental illness. The world is not there yet. $#%^ happens. And I say this as a survivor of psychiatry, not a defender of it, or at least what its system is fundamentally based on to my knowledge and what damage it continues to do today in great part because of it, including to myself in the past.

The reason I mention this is because at times the tone of posts comes across as separated from the reality in the sense that there are understandable reasons mental illness is stigmatized, politicized, misunderstood, and so on. Sometimes it's just not enough in line with the reality of human experience to me in the sense that malpractitioners are dehumanized to a degree where said tone makes them sound more like boogeymen, demons, than what they are: people that did something #######5. (or literally are just @@@@@@@)

Without any ideals and alternatives, any "exposing" of psychiatric malpractice is mostly just bark with maybe the occasional unintentional bite. If this forum and the people on it have this space to vent, nothing more, that's fine, but then I'm out of here. Because I'm not angry anymore and I don't want to vent. I want people to be treated fairly regardless of their mental situation and I'd be far more interested in seeking out conversations focused on how to get there instead of aimlessly ruminating in where we are and have been.

So here are some questions I'd appreciate any replies to, or threads based on,

What problems do you have or have you had with psychiatry, either personally or by proxy? (I'm not particularly interested in things you haven't experienced but only read about online, but it's your post lol)

When you think about psychiatry, and about issues within psychiatry, do any core issues immediately come to mind? And if so, have you already thought of a solution for them?

What would the ideal world look like for people with and without a diagnosis of mental illness to you?

Is anything else relevant related to this post you can think of that I didn't?

Thanks
xiexie
Consumer 0
Consumer 0

Local time: Fri Jun 25, 2021 1:45 am
Blog: View Blog (0)

ADVERTISEMENT

Return to Anti-Psych Forum

• Related articles
    Replies
    Views
    Last post