Our partner

The mental health system is dehumanizing

Open discussion about the Anti-Psychiatry Movement and related topics. This includes the opposition to forced treatment and hospitalization as well as the belief that Psychiatric Medication does more harm than good. Please note that these topics are controversial and therefore this forum may offend some people. This is not the belief of Psych Forums or Get Mental Help and this forum was posted to offer a safe place to discuss these beliefs.

Moderator: Riccola

The mental health system is dehumanizing

Postby Darktolight74 » Wed Feb 26, 2020 7:20 pm

In my view what leads to abuse and dehumanization in psychiatry and the mental health system (should be called the mental illness system) is the whole concept of mental illness, it stigmatizes vulnerable hurting people simply looking for help. It’s cruel and heartless. Everything about this system is evil as far I’m concerned. On the surface they talk about compassion, unconditional positive regard, blah blah, blah, but its all #######4. The reality is they take your trauma, past abuse history and use it against you, and label you with a mental illness.

About 5 years ago due to a lot of depression and past trauma I decided to go to a community mental health clinic for help. What I experienced wasn’t anything I would call healing, it felt like I was bullied, dehumanized and left feeling even worse about myself. I don’t mean to give these fraudsters, I mean professionals my power but when you’re in a vulnerable state of mind, it’s easy to fall victim to this kind of manipulation. I was laughed at, treated like I was some horrible person, and discarded. Not once did anyone ever apologize, at least not genuinely or make any effort to reach out. It’s not that I think everyone is out to get me or I that have some delusional disorder, what I experienced was very real. I left humiliated and feeling suicidal. It isn’t mental illness that leads to suicide, it’s the way they treat you and the stigmatizing conditions they create that leads to suicide.

I’ve had a lot of time to reflect on what happened to me, and so many other people looking for help. This system needs to be done away with something that actually leads to real healing, treating clients as people rather than patients and stop labeling people’s suffering as symptoms of mental illness. It’s love and acceptance that helps.
Darktolight74
Consumer 0
Consumer 0

Local time: Thu Nov 26, 2020 1:47 pm
Blog: View Blog (0)

ADVERTISEMENT

Re: The mental health system is dehumanizing

Postby Riccola » Thu Feb 27, 2020 12:34 am

On of the best posts I've read. I know, feel and think exactly what your saying because I lived it first hand.

This:

The reality is they take your trauma, past abuse history and use it against you, and label you with a mental illness.

Spot on! That is precisely how it works.

Not much more I can add other than I'm grateful you can see it.
forum-rules.php

"Neurons that fire together wire together, neurons that are out of sync fail to link"
Riccola
Moderator: Consumer

Local time: Thu Nov 26, 2020 5:47 pm

Postby Darktolight74 » Thu Feb 27, 2020 10:39 am

Riccola wrote:On of the best posts I've read. I know, feel and think exactly what your saying because I lived it first hand.

It really is horrible what they do to people. Even if there well meaning this system does far more harm than good. The road to hell is paved with good intentions.
Darktolight74
Consumer 0
Consumer 0

Postby Riccola » Thu Feb 27, 2020 11:52 am

Darktolight74 wrote:
Riccola wrote:On of the best posts I've read. I know, feel and think exactly what your saying because I lived it first hand.

It really is horrible what they do to people. Even if there well meaning this system does far more harm than good. The road to hell is paved with good intentions.

I think we are in no disagreement seeing eye to eye :)
forum-rules.php

"Neurons that fire together wire together, neurons that are out of sync fail to link"
Riccola

Postby Theymakeyouwait » Sun Mar 15, 2020 2:21 am

It is dehumanizing to hear you and your brain are defective and in a chemical imbalance. Research finds that the chemical imbalance mantra increases stigma because it makes people believe those labelEd with mental illness are defective. It makes all accomplishments you perform the result not of your own hard work and qualities but from the drugs you take that correct how damaged you are. The even darker thing about this is that that evidence says there is no chemical imbalance until you give the people drugs. Research finds depressed people don’t have less serotonin than non-depressed people. In fact one study found depressed people had more serotonin. The drugs cause the chemical imbalance. That’s is their direct effect.
Short term and withdrawal studies find mental health medications reduce symptoms. But if we judged by short term effects recreational drugs would be the best treatments. Long term studies find these drugs worsen outcomes. Taking a antidepressant or antipsychotic increases your chance of becoming disabled by 50%. In the VA they found patients without mental illness who took mental health medications had almost double rates of suicide compared to veterans with mental illness who didn’t take drugs. Using psychiatric medications makes you worse. The system is the problem.
Theymakeyouwait
Consumer 1
Consumer 1

Postby Copy_Cat » Thu Nov 05, 2020 5:28 am

Darktolight74 wrote:About 5 years ago due to a lot of depression and past trauma I decided to go to a community mental health clinic for help. What I experienced wasn’t anything I would call healing, it felt like I was bullied, dehumanized

Ya its awful. About 10 years ago now for me the last one.

Never knew such horrific places even existed in civilized society.

For a long time I even thought about getting real drunk to look bad enough to get admitted again then have a friend sneak in a small video camera so I could expose what the hell was going on in that hellhole posing as 'help'

I was pissed for a long time, was on about a 7 year tear posting for the anti psychiatry movement every day.

Look at my post number
I survived psychiatry.
Copy_Cat
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Local time: Thu Nov 26, 2020 9:47 pm

Postby Riccola » Sat Nov 07, 2020 6:50 pm

Copy_Cat wrote:
Darktolight74 wrote:About 5 years ago due to a lot of depression and past trauma I decided to go to a community mental health clinic for help. What I experienced wasn’t anything I would call healing, it felt like I was bullied, dehumanized

Ya its awful. About 10 years ago now for me the last one.

Never knew such horrific places even existed in civilized society.

For a long time I even thought about getting real drunk to look bad enough to get admitted again then have a friend sneak in a small video camera so I could expose what the hell was going on in that hellhole posing as 'help'

I was pissed for a long time, was on about a 7 year tear posting for the anti psychiatry movement every day.

Look at my post number

Same here, about 8-10 years for me. Some success, some not so much. Bitter sweet experience. Being validated in some places, shouted down in others. I did my small part. I gave people a voice. I said most of what I needed to say. If I improved mental health care for at least one person it was all worth it.
forum-rules.php

Riccola

Return to Anti-Psych Forum

• Related articles
    Replies
    Views
    Last post