Our partner

Brain Damage from anti-psychotics

Open discussion about the Anti-Psychiatry Movement and related topics. This includes the opposition to forced treatment and hospitalization as well as the belief that Psychiatric Medication does more harm than good. Please note that these topics are controversial and therefore this forum may offend some people. This is not the belief of Psych Forums or Get Mental Help and this forum was posted to offer a safe place to discuss these beliefs.

Moderator: Riccola

Brain Damage from anti-psychotics

Postby dksleuth » Mon Dec 10, 2018 6:48 pm

Hi

I believe I am experiencing long term side-effects from a year of anti-psychotic meds. I am not clear if I ever should have been on these meds. I unknowingly took these medicines for a year thinking they were keeping me from a manic episode. I few months ago I began to notice severe cognitive deficits. These deficits are so striking I thought I had suffered a stroke or developed a brain tumor or premature dementia. It was one of the scariest moments in my life. Some of my symptoms include slowed cognition, inability to put thoughts into words, memory problems, lack of emotional affect,difficulty reading, sexual dysfunction, trouble paying attention, flattening of the personality, trouble planning and deciding. By happenstance I began researching anti-psychotics and I stumbled upon a wealth of information that confirms that these drugs in fact cause major brain damage particularly affecting the frontal lobe. It seems they essentially disrupt the center of the brain that makes us human.

It has been a nightmare conveying to others the symptoms I am experiencing. They attribute it to depression or trauma. Urging me hopefully that I will overcome this and be restored to normal functioning. I feel so bad for them because they are just trying to be helpful and they love me very much. I wish they could spend just one second inside my mind so they could have a grasp of what i'me experiencing. In the past few months I have begun to withdrawl from social engagements since it is simply too difficult to keep with the stream of a conversation or contribute anything meaningful. My affect is so flattened it seems like nobody wants to be around me because I know longer am the bright, gregarious, passionate, and empathetic person I was.

I have noticed the only behaviors which seem to give me a sense of a reward are smoking, coffee, compulsive eating, compulsive television watching, and compulsive internet usage. I have become glued to my smartphone as it seems much easier to to receive digital information than any other external stimuli. Music has lost it's touch and it sounds as if all music was composed by heartless robots. Like I am can intellectual hear the sounds but they have no effect on me. I am hardly moved by beauty, nature or spirituality. Church which was once a major part of my life seems flat or even fake.

One bright spot is I don't seem to have lost my ability to convey what I am experiencing by typing it. Handwriting is hard because I have lost some motor coordination. But it seems that I can still interface with a pad and convey thoughts. It's like the language centers of my brain have been disrupted. The thoughts want to get out in speech but just can't. I have researched frontal lobe function particularly the regulatory function of broca's area of the brain. I can't help but think I am suffering frontal lobe impairment.

I am now in a cycle of negativity. Fearing I will never recover my true self seems to feed into the symptoms of withdrawl and isolation. I know that I have to keep positive, stretch my creative muscle, not give up on experiencing what makes me human but it is so hard. Today I find myself discouraged. I just want to know if anyone relates to what I am experiencing. I don't want to feel alone like this. If you know what I am experiencing what strategies have you employed to compensate for the damage?

Thanks,

C
dksleuth
Consumer 0
Consumer 0

Local time: Sun Aug 25, 2019 9:25 pm
Blog: View Blog (0)

ADVERTISEMENT

Re: Brain Damage from anti-psychotics

Postby Theymakeyouwait » Mon Dec 17, 2018 5:40 am

I have been on antipsychotics for years. It’s been to long to know how dumb they’ve made me but I experience plenty of side effects. One side effect is akinisia. I walk 16 miles a day because when I sit still I want to bash my head in. I’d rather be insane and considering I’m still miserable and still expecting better results from the drugs I’m still acting insane. These drugs also take of a few decades from your lifespan; great solution.

-- Sun Dec 16, 2018 9:40 pm --

I have been on antipsychotics for years. It’s been to long to know how dumb they’ve made me but I experience plenty of side effects. One side effect is akinisia. I walk 16 miles a day because when I sit still I want to bash my head in. I’d rather be insane and considering I’m still miserable and still expecting better results from the drugs I’m still acting insane. These drugs also take of a few decades from your lifespan; great solution.
Theymakeyouwait
Consumer 0
Consumer 0

Postby Pairou » Mon Dec 17, 2018 6:10 am

My first medication was Zoloft. I was 13. When I'm off my meds I am an awful lot smarter. I hope my memory problems will resolve themselves. I'm forgetful to the point of embarrassment.
Pairou
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Local time: Mon Aug 26, 2019 12:25 am

Postby dksleuth » Mon Dec 17, 2018 8:24 pm

I think the critical factor in recovery is going to be mindset. I am no longer going to allow myself to be a prisoner to the obsessive rumination that my mind is permanently destroyed by anti-psychotics. That attitude of hopelessness can only feed the despair and lead to a state of resignation and precipitate defeat. I am now recognizing that the incessant worrying that has accompanied this journey is deleterious because it causes a host of other problems; anxiety, depression, anger. I won't allow these medications to take whatever is left of me. My journey to recovery begins now.
dksleuth
Consumer 0
Consumer 0

Postby Pairou » Tue Dec 18, 2018 5:56 am

dksleuth wrote: I won't allow these medications to take whatever is left of me. My journey to recovery begins now.

Bravo!
Pairou
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Local time: Mon Aug 26, 2019 12:25 am

Postby Ben2143 » Sat Jan 05, 2019 3:14 pm

I can relate, its been a long road through psychiatry for me. About 10 years now, im 29. I've been medicated ongoing for the last 2 years, it's not good. It's like there is a significant piece of my inner mind that It covers up. I missed the depot just before Christmas so I had a couple of days to feel what it was like again off meds. I can't say I was disappointed. For a couple of days I was relaxed, could think clearly and I had a certain 'presence' about me. Now I keep catching myself out of touch with whatever im doing, although the effect of the medication (paliperidone) is like it forces me to focus, (tight head) but then It makes me lose it. It's like my intellect is gone. Why do I have to take this. If I don't the cops come round. I feel a certain annoyance, because I can always tell i'm on it and i'm very 'mind' oriented. It's quite invasive to my personal awareness. I am through with communicating with psychiatry, they only make matters worse. The only good thing they did for me was put me on a pension, and now i'd rather not have to keep going with their support because it clearly doesn't do me any favours. If they threw me in the rough i'd be more than happy, but they won't. They insist I keep going there, "because they fear for my sanity". I was never insane, if i'd done it again i'd just keep my mouth shut as to not cause alarm.
Ben2143
Consumer 0
Consumer 0

Local time: Mon Aug 26, 2019 3:25 pm

Postby Malasha » Wed Mar 27, 2019 8:46 am

Recently I was very surprised how many methods there are now that have come instead of lobotomy. I thought the lobotomy was gone and never came back.
Treatment of schizophrenia is based on injury to a healthy brain! Psychosurgery, electroconvulsive therapy, insulin therapy. Your brain is healthy until you injure it with antipsychotics or something.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Psychosurgery
Malasha
Consumer 5
Consumer 5

Local time: Mon Aug 26, 2019 9:25 am

Postby GadSitar » Mon Aug 05, 2019 12:57 pm

Thank you for posting this because it gives me confirmation for what I have experienced myself. I was placed on depot injection for 6 months and quit for 8 months. Was then placed on a pill for 12 months and the effects started to become quite obvious. It's exactly the same symptoms as you mentioned minus a few. My work became sloppy and I started to make some very stupid mistakes in judgement. The med I was prescribed, Latuda, even officially mentions trouble concentrating and impaired judgement as side effects.

I have since come off the medication and have been feeling better. What I do to improve my situation is I regularly exercise and I eat a low carb diet rich in nutrients. There isn't much else one can do beyond trying to stimulate your brain.

Good luck to you
GadSitar
Consumer 5
Consumer 5

Local time: Mon Aug 26, 2019 5:25 am

Return to Anti-Psych Forum

• Related articles
    Replies
    Views
    Last post