Our partner

Psychology denies reality

Open discussion about the Anti-Psychiatry Movement and related topics. This includes the opposition to forced treatment and hospitalization as well as the belief that Psychiatric Medication does more harm than good. Please note that these topics are controversial and therefore this forum may offend some people. This is not the belief of Psych Forums or Get Mental Help and this forum was posted to offer a safe place to discuss these beliefs.

Moderator: Riccola

Psychology denies reality

Postby Infinitude » Sat Nov 24, 2018 1:15 am

400 years ago Galileo promoted a view of the world that contradicted the one that the authorities were enforcing, so he was labelled a heretic. Today we have accepted his view. But we have not moved past the worldview that allows false views of the world to be enforced en masse to the world by authorities who refuse to accept contradictory view points.

Take psychology for instance. In psychology (and psychiatry and so on) a view of the human mind is being peddled, a view of how a person should function, that is out of touch with reality. As a result, all sorts of healthy behaviours are being labelled as unhealthy and unhealthy ones as healthy, because we haven't yet latched on to an accurate picture of human functioning.

Just as there was a debate between geocentrism and heliocentrism, today we have a similar debate. If a person is not able to function in society as it is, then that person is seen as ill. However, if society is being structured in such a way that many people are unable to function within it, should it be the individuals that should change themselves to fit the society, or should the society be changed to fit the individuals within it?

I once informed a psychiatrist that in tribal societies, a person who presented with symptoms that are today described as being schizophrenia would have been sent to the tribe's Shaman and go on to be the next Shaman of the tribe. Her response was basically that modern society doesn't work like that, so if a schizophrenic is unable to find a place in society, that's their problem, and it requires treatment by psychiatry.

I look around at the state of the working world and I see that it does not have the sort of jobs in high enough numbers that would suit the variations seen within the population. The vast majority of jobs are being aimed at a certain subset of the population, and it seems to be taken for granted that everyone else should try and change themselves to fit that expectation.

I'm sure there are many other such examples.

Basically what I see is that society is sick. There are many ways in which that is the case, but the fact that a huge portion of the population are expected to change themselves to fit in with it - something which typically causes that person to become mentally unhealthy - is testament to this. A person functioning as they should, but not functioning as society says they should, is labelled ill. A person not functioning as they should, but functioning as society says they should, is labelled healthy. Part of this is because we don't yet have an understanding of how different people are supposed to function - a view of what sort of behaviours are actually healthy and which aren't.

Until we have a major shift in how people are being conceptualised by psychology/psychiatry - i.e. a shift of understanding where people are actually being treated for what they are, not what the authorities want them to be - then we will continue to be in this mess and no progress will be made.

Things must change.
Dx: schizoaffective, social anxiety AKA spiritual and self-conscious
Infinitude
Consumer 4
Consumer 4

Local time: Wed Dec 19, 2018 3:00 pm
Blog: View Blog (1)

ADVERTISEMENT

Re: Psychology denies reality

Postby RottenFish » Sat Nov 24, 2018 11:30 pm

Awesome, Infinitude. I couldn't have said this better myself.

My biggest problem with psychology is that:
1. It's very inconsistent. For example, gays were once labeled as mentally ill by psychologists. But now they are seen as normal people. This is basically an admission that psychologists are wrong many times.

2. It doesn't know what it wants to be. For example, Hoarding was considered part of the OCD group, but now with the DSM-V, Hoarding is not related to OCD. Instead, it has its own classification as just Hoarding Disorder. Can psychologists make up their minds?

3. It tries to make everyone look ill, even happy people. It's sad how psychology has turned every behavior, action, or thought into a mental disorder.
RottenFish
Consumer 3
Consumer 3

Local time: Wed Dec 19, 2018 12:00 am
Blog: View Blog (0)

Postby Infinitude » Mon Nov 26, 2018 8:30 am

RottenFish wrote:Awesome, Infinitude. I couldn't have said this better myself.

1. It's very inconsistent. For example, gays were once labeled as mentally ill by psychologists. But now they are seen as normal people. This is basically an admission that psychologists are wrong many times.

2. It doesn't know what it wants to be. For example, Hoarding was considered part of the OCD group, but now with the DSM-V, Hoarding is not related to OCD. Instead, it has its own classification as just Hoarding Disorder. Can psychologists make up their minds?

3. It tries to make everyone look ill, even happy people. It's sad how psychology has turned every behavior, action, or thought into a mental disorder.

I'm awaiting the day that schizophrenia will no longer be seen as a mental illness (which isn't to say that mental illness doesn't often play a role) and that out-of-the-norm experiences will be validated, perhaps even part of the new norm.

We need an acceptance and promotion of the diversity found within the human population, not a one-size-fits-all model of health that will inevitably only lead to (and already has caused) widespread illness.
Infinitude
Consumer 4
Consumer 4

Postby Riccola » Tue Nov 27, 2018 12:32 am

Infinitude wrote:
RottenFish wrote:Awesome, Infinitude. I couldn't have said this better myself.

I'm awaiting the day that schizophrenia will no longer be seen as a mental illness (which isn't to say that mental illness doesn't often play a role) and that out-of-the-norm experiences will be validated, perhaps even part of the new norm.

We need an acceptance and promotion of the diversity found within the human population, not a one-size-fits-all model of health that will inevitably only lead to (and already has caused) widespread illness.

Same here. The day when its viewed as a normal part of the human experience. Kind of like sleep paralysis, or better yet personal preferences.
forum-rules.php

"Neurons that fire together wire together, neurons that are out of sync fail to link"
Riccola
Moderator: Consumer
Moderator: Consumer

Local time: Wed Dec 19, 2018 1:00 am

Postby Infinitude » Fri Nov 30, 2018 2:17 am

They are small-minded, and in their small-mindedness, they take those who would seek to elevate themselves to higher forms and have them deny their vision, and join them in small-mindedness
Infinitude
Consumer 4
Consumer 4

Postby RottenFish » Sat Dec 01, 2018 2:31 pm

Infinitude wrote:They are small-minded, and in their small-mindedness, they take those who would seek to elevate themselves to higher forms and have them deny their vision, and join them in small-mindedness

Psychology reminds me of a cult. The therapists are the messengers. The patients are the followers. The psychiatrists are the drug pushers, who make sure everyone is drugged up enough to believe all the lies.
RottenFish
Consumer 3
Consumer 3

Postby Polozker » Sun Dec 02, 2018 7:57 am

RottenFish wrote:Psychology reminds me of a cult. The therapists are the messengers. The patients are the followers. The psychiatrists are the drug pushers, who make sure everyone is drugged up enough to believe all the lies.

It's indeed a kind of a rotten cult. Look at Dr. Freud's preachings. This "doctor" never gave any evidence of his inferences. He only enunciated some bizarre statements which are pure nonsense under deep scrutinisation. Or at least we have no any valuable methods to validate them. For example, he argued that gold means excrements in mythology and in subconscience. How he knew this? He never explained. And I'd like to ask his followers (know for sure that they will ignore this nagging question) are people so pervert that they like to wear so much "$#%^" on their bodies and cover with "$#%^" some valuable stuff as religious pictures, wedding rings and so on?
In other words, this and many other Freud's statements are very dubious. But because he had a talent for inducing people into believing his unscientific writings he got world-wide popularity among naive people who had been searching for a new post-religious prophet. He also got the position of the highest judge of human race claiming that he knew better than people themselves what they feel in reality. He and only he could and his followers can now interpret our dreams or poetic illuminations in the right way. They and only they know how to do this. It sounds terrible, because nobody knows exactly what a symbol like gold can mean, in reality it can have uncountable number of meanings because our mind while dreaming or while unleashed for creative thinking freely creates unexpected associations.
But these guys the psychoanalysts, the psychologists, and the psychiatrists once gained power over people would never willingly give it up, because they receive a lot of its benefits. So they brain wash people to believe them. These mental health "curares" became a bunch of dogmatists who dominate people polluting our minds with their dogmas.
Polozker
Consumer 3
Consumer 3

Local time: Wed Dec 19, 2018 7:00 am

Postby RottenFish » Wed Dec 05, 2018 2:43 pm

Polozker wrote:It's indeed a kind of a rotten cult. Look at Dr. Freud's preachings. This "doctor" never gave any evidence of his inferences. He only enunciated some bizarre statements which are pure nonsense under deep scrutinisation. Or at least we have no any valuable methods to validate them.

Dr. Freud is considered the "Father of Psychoanalysis." That in itself should be embarrassing to the entire field of Psychology. Just about all of Dr. Freud's findings have no evidence to make them even closely factual. Worse yet, all his findings are so disconnected from reality that it is an absolute shock that people in his time didn't just laugh and consider him a comedian.

Plus, his degrading view toward women speaks volumes about his true character.
RottenFish
Consumer 3
Consumer 3

Return to Anti-Psych Forum

• Related articles
    Replies
    Views
    Last post