Our partner

Abilify Manteina recovery

Open discussion about the Anti-Psychiatry Movement and related topics. This includes the opposition to forced treatment and hospitalization as well as the belief that Psychiatric Medication does more harm than good. Please note that these topics are controversial and therefore this forum may offend some people. This is not the belief of Psych Forums or Get Mental Help and this forum was posted to offer a safe place to discuss these beliefs.

Moderator: Riccola

Re: Abilify Manteina recovery

Postby Danielson » Sat Mar 03, 2018 1:25 pm

I don't see your point, I can't see how struggling to force myself to write some more words can heal my brain damage.
Danielson
Consumer 0
Consumer 0

Local time: Tue Jul 17, 2018 12:51 am
Blog: View Blog (0)

ADVERTISEMENT

Postby AarronB » Mon Mar 26, 2018 5:03 am

well... a good amount of time has passed, what's your experience and how is it going??
AarronB
Consumer 0
Consumer 0

Local time: Tue Jul 17, 2018 11:51 am
Blog: View Blog (4)

Postby Danielson » Tue Mar 27, 2018 10:56 pm

Still the same, no improvement at all.
Danielson
Consumer 0
Consumer 0

Postby SnapCrackle » Sat Mar 31, 2018 11:34 am

I don't want to suggest anything so I'll just share something with you. Years ago I had a massive breakdown and was diagnosed psychotic, I was off work and my concentration and memory deteriorated to a point where I felt like a total vegetable, for example watching tv was too much. I blamed the antipsychotic medication but later on it turned out that the cognitive problems were a part of my illness, I am now diagnosed with a dissociative disorder.

I don't know if you have something similar going on there, some parts of your story just felt very similar to mine. Therapy and different exercises have helped me but it is a long road and lots of work. I've mostly given up on the dream of getting as smart as I was at my best, the main thing is getting better and learning to live with depression and other things.
SnapCrackle
Consumer 0
Consumer 0

Local time: Tue Jul 17, 2018 1:51 am

Postby Danielson » Sat Mar 31, 2018 5:28 pm

I have no doubt that the meds are the cause of my problems, I was fine before and after taking them I suddendly developed cognitive problems, akatishia, tremors and the inability to feel pleasure, which is not too surprising since that kind of med block the dopamine.
How did you find out that meds were not the cause of your cognitive problems, by the way?
Danielson
Consumer 0
Consumer 0

Postby AarronB » Sun Apr 01, 2018 11:22 pm

Hi Danielson, still the same with no improvement at all.

We each go through experiences in life that come and go on I guess a minute by minute basis, when we choose to hold on to those experiences they manifest, if you score a goal in soccer to win the match you might first reflect on the excellent pass you received and team work that allowed you to kick the goal.

Over time if you hold onto the experience you might relive that you were the only person of importance on your team, you ran through the opposition by yourself and tricked the goalie with an excellent fake before slotting the ball into the net.

My point is holding onto experiences even positive experiences isn't always a good idea.

Writing things down gives you a release to leave the past where it should stay - in the past, allowing you to constantly move forwards to score more goals.

Personally I track (or write) everything I eat - I know there is a strong relationship between stomach health and mental health and so keep track of calories, fat, carb, port, vitamins, minerals to make improvements each meal and for the future. I track (or write) each time I go for a walk, a run, a cycle - so I know in January when I started walking my average speed was 10 minutes per kilometre and in March the average speed is 6.2 minutes per kilometre (with help from an exercise app).

But that's me and how I write my experiences, tracking progress to get well and be happy off meds. For you it's up to you to create your own systems that allow you to know if you are? Or, are not? Happier over time.

At the moment you can spend, what? 20 odd words 'forcing' yourself to write about impatiens or feelings. Yet at the same time find somebody - like SnapCrackle, and you'll easily to write 60 plus words explaining your an expert because you discovered a new word (for you) called dopamine (and of course that no-one understands you goes without saying).

So - still the same with no improvement at all.

This is where you still are and if you keep on doing things the same your future will look like what?
AarronB
Consumer 0
Consumer 0

Local time: Tue Jul 17, 2018 11:51 am
Blog: View Blog (4)

Postby anathegram » Mon Apr 02, 2018 12:14 am

Your issues probably are not as simple as 'low dopamine'. Dopamine-altering drugs are like playing with a Rubik's cube, their lasting effects can be complex.

Focusing on ideas like "when will I get better" or "will I ever get better" are the wrong approach. Your brain can change itself back but it won't happen spontaneously. You need to help it.

Embrace the short-term. Find something you can do that will improve your mental state 1 day or 1 hour or 1 minute from now, and then again. It will take time and it will not be easy. Try anyways.
anathegram
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Local time: Mon Jul 16, 2018 11:51 pm

Postby SnapCrackle » Mon Apr 02, 2018 7:53 pm

Some of the adverse effects of the drugs are similar to the symptoms of the illness itself and that's why it can be hard to tell what is the cause.

I was on several different antipsychotics for long periods of time and sometimes without any medication. My cognitive skills were similarly impaired all the time and changing drugs or stopping taking them had absolutely no effect. This is why I've concluded that the medication had nothing to do with me having poor memory and concentration skills.
SnapCrackle
Consumer 0
Consumer 0

Local time: Tue Jul 17, 2018 1:51 am

Postby Danielson » Mon Apr 02, 2018 10:54 pm

SkeletonWarDraftee wrote:Your issues probably are not as simple as 'low dopamine'. Dopamine-altering drugs are like playing with a Rubik's cube, their lasting effects can be complex.

Focusing on ideas like "when will I get better" or "will I ever get better" are the wrong approach. Your brain can change itself back but it won't happen spontaneously. You need to help it.

Embrace the short-term. Find something you can do that will improve your mental state 1 day or 1 hour or 1 minute from now, and then again. It will take time and it will not be easy. Try anyways.

So are you sure that my brain can't heal spontaneously? Haven't ever been some cases of it happpening?
Also, what can I do to help my brain recover? what kind of activities will be useful?

This is where you still are and if you keep on doing things the same your future will look like what?
Sorry, but i cannot undertsrand what you mean.
I'm very dumbed down.
Danielson
Consumer 0
Consumer 0

Postby anathegram » Tue Apr 03, 2018 3:25 am

Danielson wrote:So are you sure that my brain can't heal spontaneously?

It might, but you might also be waiting for a miracle.

what kind of activities will be useful?

Anything that isn't nothing. Read a book. Watch a film. Go for a walk. Talk to someone. Whatever it is, try to focus on it while you are doing it.

Honestly, you sound depressed (in terms of symptoms, not necessarily as a syndrome). I don't know if antipsychotic-induced depression is documented, but come on, of course it exists. Do you have a doctor you trust who you can see about this? A real doctor, not a psychiatrist. They might be able to find or suggest some practical help, lifestyle changes, therapy, etc.
anathegram
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Local time: Mon Jul 16, 2018 11:51 pm

PreviousNext

Return to Anti-Psych Forum

• Related articles
    Replies
    Views
    Last post