Our partner

Abilify Manteina recovery

Open discussion about the Anti-Psychiatry Movement and related topics. This includes the opposition to forced treatment and hospitalization as well as the belief that Psychiatric Medication does more harm than good. Please note that these topics are controversial and therefore this forum may offend some people. This is not the belief of Psych Forums or Get Mental Help and this forum was posted to offer a safe place to discuss these beliefs.

Moderator: Riccola

Re: Abilify Manteina recovery

Postby epthe » Thu Jan 25, 2018 2:22 pm

Danielson wrote:Thanks for the advice, and one other thing, did you also had cognitive deficits as a result of the med?
I mean things such as decreased IQ and difficulty to think, form sentences, understand things and so on.

Yes. I was still in high school and in drama classes when I started taking Geodon and one of the things I noticed immediately was that I couldn't remember any of my lines for the play we were performing, and it used to be so easy for me, and my delivery was so off that my teacher replaced me with the understudy. It was a huge blow to my ego at a time when I was already in a very fragile point in my life. So yes, the meds make it difficult to think, form sentences, and understand things. It takes a bit longer for those things to come back, because they are higher functioning levels of your brain. But I'm doing okay now in the one college class I'm currently taking.
epthe
Consumer 5
Consumer 5

Local time: Mon Aug 20, 2018 7:21 am
Blog: View Blog (0)

ADVERTISEMENT

Postby Danielson » Fri Jan 26, 2018 3:06 am

-Roughly how much time do you think that my mental functions will need to come back?

-Also, can you explain to me why phsyichiatrists usually say that the meds can't give this kind of problems? They truly don't know/don't believe it or are they lying?
Danielson
Consumer 1
Consumer 1

Local time: Mon Aug 20, 2018 3:21 pm

Postby epthe » Sun Jan 28, 2018 1:39 pm

Danielson wrote:-Roughly how much time do you think that my mental functions will need to come back?

-Also, can you explain to me why phsyichiatrists usually say that the meds can't give this kind of problems? They truly don't know/don't believe it or are they lying?

The amount of time it takes to fully recover from psych meds varies significantly from person to person. Some people have relatively little difficulty from them and bounce back to normal right away, others continue to have issues 8 months later or even worse. In my case, withdrawals got in the way of recovery, and I didn't bounce back until they were over. A few things you can do in the meanwhile that seemed to help me.... try to read challenging books (for example, Swann's Way by Proust), do math problems, do chemistry problems, do puzzles, play challenging video games, play a musical instrument, dance in your room (it involves a lot of mental coordination), if you have any witty sarcastic snarky friends try to hang out with them and try to engage in conversation with them. You may fail a lot at first, but keep trying, keep exercising your mind. The meds effectively shut down your mind, and it begins to atrophy. You have to build it back up. Try to think of it like if you don't exercise for awhile, you get out of shape because your muscles start to atrophy, and it takes awhile to build them back up.

At one time I thought they were just ignorant and didn't realize what they were doing to us, and for some that may be true, but even ignorance is no excuse as the information is readily available to them about the true side effects of the meds. And if they're that clueless, they shouldn't be prescribing meds to anyone. But now I think that almost all psychiatrists, most psychiatric nurse practitioners, and probably most upper level staff at psychiatric clinics know about the side effects and don't care about us and are lying to us. It took me a long time to figure out that they did not have my own best interests at heart, and that they were not working for me, but rather working for the government to protect society from mentally ill people, and if the drugs hurt me, so what? They didn't care. They forget about the fact that most mentally ill people are not dangerous, not violent, and pose no real threat to society. Hell, they let violent non-mentally ill prisoners out of jails and prisons, and many of them have a long history of violence, and many of them re-offend shortly after getting out of prison, but yet, they have rights. The mentally ill are treated as though they have no rights.
epthe
Consumer 5
Consumer 5

Local time: Mon Aug 20, 2018 7:21 am

Postby AarronB » Sat Feb 03, 2018 11:12 pm

stopping the drugs has a negative effect called spellbinding. The symptom's come back often more severe than prior to being on pills, the patient often freak out worried about a relapse when what is happening is the symptoms are caused by the medication and not by the 'natural' brain - it's the addiction effect of the pills and of course your psychiatrist will likely put you back on pills to treat it.
https://www.madinamerica.com/2012/05/an ... do-better/
Find a safe place where you can go through the withdraw without causing alarm, exercise, watch your diet, drink lots of water and research to learn the real science behind pills.
At the end of the day you might not make it how-ever you're still young still developing and so long as you don't hurt yourself or anyone around you then worst case is going back into managed care on medications.
AarronB
Consumer 0
Consumer 0

Local time: Tue Aug 21, 2018 2:21 am
Blog: View Blog (4)

Postby Danielson » Sun Feb 18, 2018 10:24 pm

Still no improvement.
Do you know any case of people who recover from antipsichotics after months of absence of improvements after getting off meds?
Or this mean that I'm probably stuck with this side effects forever?
Danielson
Consumer 1
Consumer 1

Postby AarronB » Mon Feb 19, 2018 7:14 am

Denielson, yeah the side effects do settle down and go away. If your experiencing some bad times it's probably the withdraw / side effects of strong medication which can bring back negative emotions.
If your not already doing so start walking/cycling/running to speed up metabolism. Drink lots of water. Eat good food - lots of greens, lentils, potatoes - things which don't have much sugar. Add Himalayan salt to everything about a teaspoon a day.
For me the idea is to sweat the medications out.
Research your diet - hormones like dopamine are made in the stomach (not the brain).
Review the two months off medication, are you able to concentrate better, remember more, are you losing weight, are you having good conversations with friends, family and people?
Allot of people say to set goals, personally, I just want to feel happier each day so I keep notes on daily exercise, diet and how I'm feeling, so I know that I'm moving in the right direction.
AarronB
Consumer 0
Consumer 0

Postby Danielson » Mon Feb 19, 2018 9:30 pm

No, I haven't seen any improvements at all and I am not able to have any decent conversation since my cognitive functions don't work properly.
How can you be sure that the side effects will eventually go away?
Danielson
Consumer 1
Consumer 1

Postby AarronB » Tue Feb 20, 2018 3:21 am

there's no guarantee's to life.

On the positive while you might not feel as if you are moving forwards you don't mention slipping backwards so that is encouraging.

What steps are you taking to educate your mind, body and soul?

If you play an instrument try learning a new song, if you like writing write an essay or a book.

Your going to be around for a while so there's no need to do everything today, time is on your side, start small and create a secure foundation to build your temple.
AarronB
Consumer 0
Consumer 0

Postby Danielson » Thu Feb 22, 2018 6:44 am

I'm not doig anything since I'm unable to, my cognitive functions are too low to engage in any activities whatsoevher.
Danielson
Consumer 1
Consumer 1

Postby AarronB » Thu Mar 01, 2018 8:07 am

Hi Danielson, I see what you mean about cognitive function being low - your paragraph is just 20 words long.

My flatmate had his three children around last weekend aged from 5 to 12 and I didn't test them, however, I suspect they could all write a 20 word paragraph. Although the little one would struggle to spell words like cognitive and function.

Neither the less 20 words can be a base to start from, every book I've ever read started with just one word and from that one word the author somehow penned the courage to build a story.

I guess what I'm saying is that if you can somehow find away to expand from 20 words to 25 words then those extra five words represent a 20% improvement in cognitive functioning as demonstrated through creative writing.

You wrote that on Thursday so if you were to write something today, that may work out to be a 20% improvement over the last ten or eleven days and 20% is a big improvement for anybody in such a short space of time.
AarronB
Consumer 0
Consumer 0

PreviousNext

Return to Anti-Psych Forum

• Related articles
    Replies
    Views
    Last post