Our partner

Do I qualify as having anorexia nervosa?

Anorexia Nervosa message board, open discussion, and online support group.

Moderator: weepingwillow

Do I qualify as having anorexia nervosa?

Postby Cylris » Sun Jun 25, 2017 5:30 pm

I'm not sure if I have anorexia nervosa. The thing is I know that I would be starving myself some days not because I'm worried about my weight exactly, but often because I feel like I don't deserve to eat or am too anxious and/or depressed to eat. But I don't starve myself. I don't because my parents are very observant and will definitely notice if I'm trying not to eat, I'm not allowed to eat in my room so I can't throw away food to act like I ate it, my parents clean out my room a lot and would see if I had thrown food away anyway, I care for my parents and brother a lot and they would worry a lot if I began to starve myself, my parents would easily notice if I had thrown my meals away in our trashcan in the kitchen, and my parents or brother are usually in the kitchen when I eat. I do sometimes go hungry on purpose at home simply by skipping lunch and eating when dinner comes, or at places like summer camps where you have to eat in front of people I won't get to know fast enough for me to trust to let them watch me eat out of fear. I have depression and GAD. (I also possibly might have BPD according to online tests following DSM, however I have not been diagnosed professionally.) I will definitely talk to my counselor about this but I want some thoughts from others.
Cylris
Consumer 0
Consumer 0

Local time: Fri May 14, 2021 4:03 pm
Blog: View Blog (0)

ADVERTISEMENT

Re: Do I qualify as having anorexia nervosa?

Postby vortexvoid » Thu Jun 29, 2017 5:58 pm

based purely off your other post about wanting to get fat, i'm going to say no.

that said, it does sound like you've got some food and body issues that could be helped by seeing a therapist.
Rae - current host

The Others:
Rachel, Rachel Joy, Keda, Taty, SS3NDASS, Killer, Critic, Kid, Void, and Jukebox

Our journey of discovery and getting to know each other
vortexvoid
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Local time: Fri May 14, 2021 2:03 pm

Postby mesome » Sat Aug 12, 2017 10:50 am

It seems you are using fasting as self punishment. Overall you sound like you are eating. Why do you want to punish your self this way? There is far more to this. I'm not sure it's about food. People with GAD sometimes don't want to eat because of the reaction food causes, I heard nothing about this reaction issue, I would say that GAD is not part of what you wrote. I think the cause is directly related to your reason for self punishment using fasting as your punishment. Skipping one meal here and there is not going to qualify your for anorexia if you are getting proper nutrition overall. Why are you self punishing?
mesome
Consumer 0
Consumer 0

Local time: Fri May 14, 2021 6:03 pm

Postby PetLover » Tue Jan 09, 2018 11:49 pm

What is more a concern is what your relationship with food is, not the amount you are eating. The reason for skipping food will matter as much as how much you are skipping. Depression is a common reason for loss of appetite, as you mentioned. Always talk to a professional if you are wondering about something like that. Even if everyone around you says you are fine. If you are starting to feel the urges, but not giving in to them, that's a perfect time to seek help, to avoid progression into an illness.
PetLover
Consumer 0
Consumer 0

Local time: Fri May 14, 2021 4:03 pm

Return to Anorexia Nervosa Forum

• Related articles
    Replies
    Views
    Last post