Our partner

I want to walk away when my family talks politics.

Open Discussions about Anger and Anger Management.

Moderator: NewSunRising

I want to walk away when my family talks politics.

Postby thegentlepath » Mon Aug 12, 2019 7:51 pm

Most of the time I tune it out, but today I snapped & started ranting & raving. So much so that the family member suggested I need to go back to the last support group I attended. Which is another sore subject for me since that particular support group was religiously-affiliated & with all the intolerant hypocritical BS that goes along with it. It was the best I could find around here, which is not much. What a waste of energy. I was able to communicate to my family member that I thought it best we don’t discuss politics & religion though. I feel like a fool. What else is new? :mrgreen:

This comes up a lot for me. My family is all on the other end of the political spectrum from me, which is fine. I don’t think everyone needs to be the same. You do you. Just don’t lecture me on your views because you are stupid & I don’t want to hear it anyway. I despise politics.

You can shove your politics up your buttocks. :twisted:

The only peace I will have in this world is if I outlive you & then you will still haunt me via cptsd.

Thanks. :evil:
thegentlepath
Consumer 5
Consumer 5

Local time: Thu Aug 22, 2019 4:21 pm
Blog: View Blog (92)

ADVERTISEMENT

I’m a loose cannon.

Postby thegentlepath » Mon Aug 12, 2019 10:16 pm

Shooting off verbal abuse. I learned from the best. I would like some people to back off sometimes. Other times I am fine. My mind went to a dark place for a few minutes, maybe. I acknowledged those feelings to myself & then I did other activities. I’m able to be alone for a little bit too.
thegentlepath
Consumer 5
Consumer 5

Re: I want to walk away when my family talks politics.

Postby NewSunRising » Tue Aug 13, 2019 1:02 pm

Sounds like a perfect time to make use of those earphones . I don't talk politics . Period .

I tend to find myself in the mood for a walk when the conversation starts getting heated about it . Some folks , I avoid altogether if they can't respect my wishes to not get sucked into a debate ( or rather , a lecture ) .
NewSunRising
Site Admin

Local time: Fri Aug 23, 2019 12:21 am
Blog: View Blog (0)

Re: I want to walk away when my family talks politics.

Postby thegentlepath » Tue Aug 13, 2019 1:28 pm

Headphones are a great idea NewSunRising. Thank you. You’re right, the politics are secondary. It’s more the lack of respect for my boundaries that really upsets me. This is a common theme in my family of origin. I’ve also been spending too much time with them. Familiarity breeds contempt.

Things are awkward right now, which is fine. A little awkwardness never killed anybody. They’re not spewing their usual verbal diarrhea at me, so that’s one good thing to come of it. A brief but much needed respite from their usual BS. I need the break.
thegentlepath
Consumer 5
Consumer 5

Return to Anger Management

• Related articles
    Replies
    Views
    Last post