Our partner

Personality Disorder/Mental Illness Need a Solution

Open Discussions about Anger and Anger Management.

Moderators: NewSunRising, thegentlepath

Personality Disorder/Mental Illness Need a Solution

Postby MikeGreo » Sat Aug 25, 2018 5:42 pm

My father is suffering from some form of mental illness. It has never officially been diagnosed, but from his behaviour there is no doubt in my mind that he is not well.

He is a very angry person, and hardly a day passes by when he doesn't lash out over something. And the way he is and speaks is very self-centered. He constantly gets upset over people disrespecting him. The most important thing in his life seems to be how other behave towards him and if there are respecting him enough. When people's behaviour not to the standards of his expectations he will resent then and have grudges on them and argue with them.

Another strange behaviour is the absolute denial of bad actions.
MikeGreo
Consumer 0
Consumer 0

Local time: Sat Mar 06, 2021 4:39 am
Blog: View Blog (0)

ADVERTISEMENT

Re: Personality Disorder/Mental Illness Need a Solution

Postby user03 » Fri Sep 07, 2018 4:52 pm

MikeGreo wrote:My father is suffering from some form of mental illness. It has never officially been diagnosed, but from his behaviour there is no doubt in my mind that he is not well.

He is a very angry person, and hardly a day passes by when he doesn't lash out over something. And the way he is and speaks is very self-centered. He constantly gets upset over people disrespecting him. The most important thing in his life seems to be how other behave towards him and if there are respecting him enough. When people's behaviour not to the standards of his expectations he will resent then and have grudges on them and argue with them.

Another strange behaviour is the absolute denial of bad actions.

your father sounds a lot like my mine, he is a hypocrite, big double standards, never admits he is wrong, and even if he does, he sarcastically does and puts you down in the process which is ironic because he will be the one putting you down in the first place, it's worse enough when he asks your help and then ridicules you in the process while you are innocently there trying to aid him, i would call him a "high functioning narcissist", but that wouldn't make any sense, true narcissism ( narcissistic personality disorder ) ( in my opinion ) is not only feeling inferior, insecure, emotionally unstable, lower quality of life but also functioning in that way throughout life, after all, it's called a disorder for a reason.

this is why i believe donald trump does NOT have narcissistic personality disorder, because the disorder has to cause considerable harm to one's quality and functioning of life and that isn't the case with him, he does more harm to other people, not himself, of course, people do not seem to give such a boundary anyways because apparently there is this whole subjective problem and / or people simply focusing on the wrong elements and not seeing the obvious things that are more important.

but yeh, it's difficult for someone to have narcissist personality "disorder" their whole life without ever getting diagnosed, but this is why the whole nature / nurture factor plays in, environment, etc. i personally believe that in my case, i have major depression and schizotypal personality disorder ( diagnosed by psychologists ), ( also i relate to covert narcissism and sluggish cognitive tempo ), but i believe for me, i was born INFERIOR and my environment / people in it only further affected my development for the worse.

for one, my father and my brother had caused a lot of emotional abuse and stunting / or affected my personality and functioning. it's ironic because they say that at least with schizotypal pd, it can be caused by confusing parenting or other types of turmoil and this is EXACTLY the way i felt growing up, i would never "get" why other people would treat me the way they did AND i also wouldn't understand or be able to do things when having to work with others, either in general or in my father's case, his style of communication was something i had to always get lucky in getting around with and adapting with, over time of course, i learned to not be walking stick to him anymore, as well as my brother or other people, and would gesture myself if necessary whenever i feel like things are not making sense and / or not being treated fairly, especially the case with my father's impatient or aggressive way of doing things when he doesn't even know what he is doing half the time, and also puts people in both physical and emotional danger ( happened many times to me or him ), one time he blow up a car almost from not knowing what to do with the jumpers and aggressively instructing me and brother and another time his hand got stuck in the garage door ( the main big one ) because he told me to press the button but he put his hand there at the worst time...

the problem with any of this is i have to have someone else accuse me of being stubborn, anti-help, etc, ( cough cough my brother ), because he and like many others are too dumb and immature to get anything, because they are like "nuerotypicals". they ask for help, empathy, support, bla bla bla, you give them some ( genuinely ), without forcefully doing so, then when the time comes when you are having it rough, they can be so condescending and blind, it's nervebreaking, yet these people get through life functioning and getting along with others which is very hard for me to fathom :roll: .

also if this helps, my father is an ENTJ, my brother is an ESFJ, and i am a ISFJ, i am not sure on my mom, technically my mom and dad both took the MBTI test ( i asked them to ), and they came out as ISTP a little while back, however, those results were inaccurate, i mean, it's possible my dad could be an ISTP, only because he has low empathy / warmth, etc, but my mom, is in no way an ISTP, i was thinking she is possibly an ESFJ or ISFJ, but she is the only one i comfortably get along with.
user03
Consumer 4
Consumer 4

Local time: Fri Mar 05, 2021 8:39 pm

Re: Personality Disorder/Mental Illness Need a Solution

Postby Johei » Thu Sep 03, 2020 1:54 am

May I ask what age your father is?
I work with the elderly every day, and many of them get confused and angry about modern life.
Try to understand that in HIS day, your father was the real thing. A big man who made all his own decisions, a free man, aint nobody gonna tell him what to do.
With many people, as they get older, they are aware their facilities are slipping, but they can't acknowledge it, can't allow weakness. Perhaps it will help you to deal with his anger if you realize it is not directed at you.
Your father is unhappy because of the things he lost. He is no longer in his prime, no longer holds untold promise. In a way he blames himself for not achieving more in the time he has behind him, but can't admit it, so he lashes out at others because anger makes him feel strong.
Hopes this helps
Johei
Consumer 3
Consumer 3

Local time: Sat Mar 06, 2021 5:39 am

Return to Anger Management

• Related articles
    Replies
    Views
    Last post