Our partner

alzheimer and dementia

Alzheimer's Disease message board, open discussion, and online support
group.

alzheimer and dementia

Postby passionfruit3 » Sun Mar 14, 2010 12:10 am

my grandpa had Alzheimer and a little bit of dementia. But he didn't seem that out of it mom said he had only mildly. But I thought alzheimer was supposed to get worse he seemed perfectly fine when i saw him
passionfruit3
Consumer 5
Consumer 5

Local time: Sat May 25, 2019 4:54 pm
Blog: View Blog (0)

ADVERTISEMENT

Re: alzheimer and dementia

Postby Chucky » Sat Mar 20, 2010 9:14 pm

Hi,

Alzheimer's progresses slowly in an individual, as far as I'm aware. How long ago was he diagnosed with it? To clear up the classification of these things, Alzheimer's is one of many types of Dementia. Dementia itself encompasses many different neurodegenerative disorders. I'm merely saying this for my own benefit, I guess, as I want to learn more in this area.

Kevin
psychforums.com rules:
http://www.psychforums.com/forum-rules.php

Please send me a private message if you need help with anything.
Chucky
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Local time: Sat May 25, 2019 4:54 pm

Postby Kelly Thundercloud » Thu Jul 08, 2010 12:53 am

These diseases can have an onset and you might not notice it for 5 years or more. It often takes even up to 10 years for you to notice anything is getting worse. We just started to notice my grandma's dementia in 2003 and we thought it was just old age. We didn't realize anything was actually wrong with her until 2008. Even then she was still able to take her medication on her own and be by herself all day.

Usually, if someone with dementia gets an illness, you will see a definite progression in the disease. For example, my grandma broke her hip and she suddenly went from just forgetful to not being able to speak sentences! Then it progressed very slowly again and we actually thought she was getting better! But she got sick again and went straight to not walking or speaking anything we could understand. It's been 2 years since then and we haven't noticed her getting any worse.

Just hope that your grandpa doesn't break his hip, get pneumonia, fall or have a stroke. If he stays free of that, he might be lucky enough to die before he suffers to much from Alzheimer's.
Kelly Thundercloud
Consumer 2
Consumer 2

Local time: Sat May 25, 2019 10:54 am

Postby kimjones » Mon Nov 07, 2011 2:24 pm

Hi
I'm totally agree with Kevin Alzheimer's progresses slowly .
kimjones
Consumer 0
Consumer 0

Local time: Sat May 25, 2019 10:54 am

Return to Alzheimer's Disease Forum

• Related articles
    Replies
    Views
    Last post