Our partner

How To Recognize Problem Drinking

Alcohol Addiction message board, open discussion, and online support
group.

How To Recognize Problem Drinking

Postby Butterfly Faerie » Tue Jun 30, 2009 11:51 pm

Am I drinking too much?

YES, if you are:

* A woman who has more than seven drinks* per week or more than three drinks per occasion
* A man who has more than 14 drinks* per week or more than four drinks per occasion
* Older than 65 years and having more than seven drinks* per week or more than three drinks per occasion

*--One drink = one 12-oz bottle of beer (4.5 percent alcohol) or one 5-oz glass of wine (12.9 percent alcohol) or 1.5 oz of 80-proof distilled spirits.

Am I drinking heavily?
YES, if you are:

* A woman who has more than three drinks every day or 21 drinks per week
* A man who has more than five drinks every day or 35 drinks per week

Am I taking risks with alcohol?
YES, if you:

* Drink and drive, operate machinery or mix alcohol with medicine (over-the-counter and prescription medicine)
* Don't tell your surgeon, physician or pharmacist that you are a regular drinker
* Are pregnant or are trying to become pregnant and drink at all (even small amounts of alcohol may hurt an unborn child)
* Drink alcohol while you are looking after small children

Has my drinking become a habit?
YES, if you drink regularly to:

* Relax, relieve anxiety or go to sleep
* Be more comfortable in social situations
* Avoid thinking about sad or unpleasant things
* Socialize with other regular drinkers

Is alcohol taking over my life?
YES, if you:

* Ever worry about having enough alcohol for an evening or weekend
* Hide alcohol or buy it at different stores so people will not know how much you are drinking
* Switch from one kind of drink to another hoping that this will keep you from drinking too much or getting drunk
* Try to get "extra" drinks at a social event or sneak drinks when others aren't looking

Has drinking alcohol become a problem for me?

YES, if you:

* Can't stop drinking once you start
* Have tried to stop drinking for a week or so but only quit for a few days
* Fail to do what you should at work or at home because of drinking
* Feel guilty after drinking
* Find other people make comments to you about your drinking
* Have a drink in the morning to get yourself going after drinking heavily the night before
* Can't remember what happened while you were drinking
* Have hurt someone else as a result of your drinking

What can I do about drinking too much?

Try to cut down to safe drinking levels: less than seven drinks per week and less than three drinks per occasion for women and older people, and less than 14 drinks per week and less than four drinks per occasion for men.

How can I get help for an alcohol problem?
If you feel you need help to cut down, you can contact:

* Your doctor for advice, treatment or referral
* Self-help support groups (see "Other Organizations")
* Center for Substance Abuse Treatment (see "Other Organizations"). Call for information about local treatment programs and to speak to someone about your alcohol problem

Resources:

Where the above info came from
http://familydoctor.org/online/famdocen ... l/755.html

National Institute on Alcohol Abuse & Alcoholism (NIAAA)
http://www.niaaa.nih.gov/

Medicine Net
http://www.medicinenet.com/alcohol_abus ... rticle.htm

About.com- Alcoholism
http://alcoholism.about.com/

Sober Recovery
http://www.soberrecovery.com/

Feel free to add any other resources.
Butterfly Faerie
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Local time: Tue Jan 25, 2022 12:15 am
Blog: View Blog (0)

ADVERTISEMENT

Re: How To Recognize Problem Drinking

Postby caringnurse1 » Fri Jul 15, 2011 5:12 am

I happened to read a helpful article at sober.com about the criteria used to determine if you are an alcoholic.
caringnurse1
Consumer 0
Consumer 0

Local time: Mon Jan 24, 2022 8:15 pm

Postby jonesg » Fri Oct 21, 2011 8:45 am

Theres one simple question in the big book of AA .

If when drinking you can't control your intake or,
if when not drinking you can't leave the idea alone, join the club.

Its basically if you can't take it and can't leave it alone.
jonesg
Consumer 1
Consumer 1

Local time: Tue Jan 25, 2022 4:15 am

Postby chizcurlz » Thu Nov 10, 2011 3:54 pm

When you prefer drinking more alcohol than water, when you prefer getting drunk than orgasm, when you make excuses in work just for few beers or shots, when you prefer drinking beer in a pub than staying at home with your kids and wife/husband, or when you spend more money for beer than your own clothes and a lot more reasons.
chizcurlz
Consumer 0
Consumer 0

Postby recoveredandfun » Thu Nov 17, 2011 10:08 pm

A few of the questions I had to ask myself regarding my drinking were: Do I need a drink every day?
Do I need a drink to deal with stress? When I'm feeling down...do I need a drink to feel good...when I'm feeling...do I need a drink to feel better? Is my drinking controlling my life? Have I suffered any negative consequences from my drinking? And a big question was...do I get "pre-occupied" with drinking...or in other words when I'm not drinking is having a drink the only thing on my mind. I had to get honest with myself and answered "YES" to all these questions. That was 10 years ago...and I haven't had a drink since.
recoveredandfun
Consumer 0
Consumer 0

Postby Entangled » Sun Nov 20, 2011 5:50 am

I don't believe it! I know... kill me for it.

Yes I use alcohol... am I an alcoholic...yes... but what this says has nothing to do with alcoholic intake and what an alcoholic is in general.

You are on the phone. You are going talk to everyone who visits pubs in Ireland. Your job is to tell them... about all this. So it goes like this. "You are drinking way too much! YOU are an alcoholic!"

The man says, "I drink all the time everyday, bring home the paycheck... have some more whiskey like my wife does and I get up in the morning and make my contrubution to society. I have been doing this... my kids get educated...they don't mind...so what's the deal?"

Is he an alcoholic? Are we going to right offthe county of Ireland as an alcoholic island of men and women...

I am an alcoholic like you, but if you have no socialogical experience in these matters you have no legs to stand on. This example is a heavy drinker example. Not an alcoholic. If that was so, you should quarentine Ireland as the alcoholic kingdom of all time when they are just social drinkers.

So, what is an alcoholic. Some drinkers come home and have a beer. Some go to a bar and wind down. Are they alcoholics... not necessarily.

What makes a psychological or sociological problem? It's very specific. It's what you do... it's the result of what happens.

Psychiology...and wish people would include more socialology in this forum though it says PSYCH.. ARGGH. An alcoholic is basied on specific things... not as much pysch as sociological.

The alcoholic has trouble with the rules of society...like keeping a steady job... conflicts in home life... isolation... deteration of realationships of all family members...friends and coworkers ...down to everyone you know... THATS an Alcoholic!

IF a man or woman can keep a job... keep a family going without "violence," raise the kids and help them to make a contributyion to society...sociologically there is no problem.

I wish there was socialogy forum... anyways... everything is fine to SOCIETY! IF something is wrong there... violence, depression... now you are in psyche.

Definition:

An alcoholic is a person who drinks consistantly that there performance as a provider of a family and the wellbeing of that family is in jepeordy and socially they can't function as they would like to.

OK..enough rambling... Problem drinking is defined as a problem in your day to day livesw, because of that drinking. Yoiu are afraid to drink because of your hanghover or shaky detox...or your afraid not to drink because your afraid something might slip out... but if you haqve your medicine, Your fine.

Medicine.

All alcoholics who can recognise that Alcohol is like a medicine raise you hand?

That's it... it's your daily medicine to get through everything!

One problem! MInd blocks where you have no recoloection opf what you do... the shakes are so terrible all you can thinbk of is stopping them... some family member comes over and says it's just in your mind...STOP IT! And, you juyst wish they could FEEL the way you do?

I know. A drinking problem begins to make your life fall apart. When it falls apart, you find people who understand what you go through... Social workers, if you are lucky, have gone through this themselves... they have Some do some don't... If you do find someone who understands DON"T GIVE THAT UP... You are in good hands... really good hands.

Once your life falls apart? And, drinking seems like a medicine... Go to AA... find out about it... if you are teen and you can't find a AA teen meeting and the meeting you go to, they happen to be all adults, because you can't find a teen AA... and there are only ADULT meetings, you have no idea how much AA people want to help AA people... I can guarantee you they will not turn you down... they will help you. AA sticks with AA like glue and, you need something? Get it..? They are like glue and you will be treated as one of them and no one will hurt you... think of you bad... or anything... because they will defend you with passion!

OK... I have to look if there is anything else to be dsaid... but for now... see what happens...
This man was sexually assaulted (rape) and has OCD...yikes!

"It literally turned my life around!"

He worked in a Pyschiatric Hospital as a Nursing's Aid for 5 years.

He was also a patient on a few occasions for suicide, too.
Entangled
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Local time: Mon Jan 24, 2022 11:15 pm
Blog: View Blog (8)

Postby Kirsten » Wed Dec 07, 2011 7:09 pm

It was interesting to hear the sociological definition of alcoholism. i see it as largely relevant, although I do know alcoholics who managed to function in their jobs and with their families, pay the rent and earn good salaries. My friend is one of these. In the end he was in hospital and the doctors told him if he had one more drink he'd die because his liver was so severely damaged. He's been sober in AA for 6 years now. So perhaps a more balanced view of all the aspects mentioned is required.

There is a large youth movement in AA. Many of us got sober at 17, 18 years old. Some even 14. Alcoholics are reaching rock bottom younger these days. Generally, internationally, they call themselves Youth Enjoying Sobriety, or YES. These are AA meetings consisting of people who sobered up in their teens. They have annual conferences all over the world.
[Hope is the thing with feathers that perches on the soul and sings the tune without the words and never stops at all. Emily Dickinson
Kirsten
Consumer 3
Consumer 3

Postby Entangled » Fri Dec 16, 2011 5:53 am

True alcoholism is a social and psychiatric problem...

There are places where people drink so much they have no problem doping jobns, caring for families, and being a social advocate of society. Where do you put them.

There are those who hate alcohol so much that is you sip even a single drop, you are considered an alcoholic?

This kills me every time for there are those who see any substance, alchohol or drug as something bads. It kills me evertime when someone shows

WHy did alcohol start in the first place..? and no. It wan't an addict who thought this was "Cool".

No refrigeration, how do you keep a beverage clear of bacteria, when all the water and waste you piss of goes into the river?

Beer. WIne, alcohol?

Something that wqas a necessary.

If go any father from where I am... Hellto play... By guys. Your thread now!
Entangled
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Local time: Mon Jan 24, 2022 11:15 pm
Blog: View Blog (8)

Postby pamela.smith80 » Tue May 22, 2012 2:11 pm

Edited by Mod
pamela.smith80
Consumer 0
Consumer 0

Postby JamesWhite » Thu May 24, 2012 2:58 pm

Interesting video pamela.smith80. Thank you ;)
JamesWhite
Consumer 0
Consumer 0

Next

Return to Alcohol Addiction

• Related articles
    Replies
    Views
    Last post