Our partner

Am I immature or emotionally weak for having AD?

Adjustment Disorder message board, open discussion, and online support
group.

Am I immature or emotionally weak for having AD?

Postby Kip » Tue Nov 27, 2018 9:25 pm

When I was a preteen I was diagnosed with situational depression, now I see it is identified as adjustment disorder. I had depressive symptoms for several months, even to the point of self harm or wanting to die. I was constantly sad, hopeless, and lonely. The event in question that triggered this was a falling out my best friend / crush, which evolved into thinking nobody liked me when it separated me from the rest if my friends. That was it. I also struggled with accepting being gay and struggling with my religion. I often feel like I am immature or mentally weak for getting this upset over something so small. My therapist says I didn't choose to be depressed and it was a result of my emotional sensitivity. It happened a long time ago and I am no longer depressed, but I have residuasl symptoms of emotional numbness and self-loathing and I can't believe it traces back to something I don't even care about anymore. I feel like it's my fault, and that i am trivializing people with real depression and suicidal thoughts who either have it as a long term mental disorder or as a result of abusive or traumatic lives. I feel like I was just ungrateful and pathetic, as I had a very good life when suddenly I wanted to kill myself after one little thing went wrong. Does the fact I have adjustment disorder mean that I am weak or that I'm trivializing serious issues by getting so depressed and suicidal over minor things? Is it my fault?
Kip
Consumer 4
Consumer 4

Local time: Tue Apr 13, 2021 10:24 am
Blog: View Blog (0)

ADVERTISEMENT

Re: Am I immature or emotionally weak for having AD?

Postby wolfiedog » Sat Jan 04, 2020 8:51 pm

struggling with religion or accepting being gay doesn't make you weak, there's a huge stigma attattched to it by the dominant culture. i was raised in a homophobic church, i really do see this specific thing as a legitimate reason for depression.

but do you want a straight answer? probably. i mean the defining feature of this disorder or issue is that you cannot cope with normal situations. what would you call that?

it's not hopeless though. anyone can practice resilience. if your worldview toward events changes so can you
wolfiedog
Consumer 0
Consumer 0

Local time: Tue Apr 13, 2021 11:24 am

Re: Am I immature or emotionally weak for having AD?

Postby DaturaInnoxia » Fri Apr 10, 2020 10:31 pm

Adjustment disorder is under the stress reaction disorders in DSM 5

I got the DX when I didn't immediately bounce back from watching my boyfriend die of cancer.

The DSM is set up to label practically anyone with a disorder.

Example: if you grieve the death of your child for more than 2 weeks, the DSM-5 will diagnose you with depression.
^
Yet, any reasonable person would think it's abnormal to grieve less than 2 weeks over a child - which is a concept that carries over across almost all cultures as well
DaturaInnoxia
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Local time: Tue Apr 13, 2021 8:24 am

Return to Adjustment Disorder