Our partner

Medicalizing relationship problems

Acute Stress Disorder message board, open discussion, and online support group.

Medicalizing relationship problems

Postby thomas45 » Sat Jun 20, 2009 10:10 pm

My friend's daughter has been diagnosed with Oppositional Defiant Disorder. However I really question whether this is an actual disorder or whether its another "bag" term used by psychiatrists to justify medicating children and teenagers. This particular teen falls into the criteria, but her target "oppositional person" is her mother, and she can turn the behavior on and off as required. This says to me that this is not a disorder, but a problem between mother and daughter which needs to be resolved by constructive talk and not by the drugs the girl's doctor has placed her on. Does anyone have experience of this "disorder"?
thomas45
Consumer 0
Consumer 0

Local time: Thu Dec 03, 2020 3:35 am
Blog: View Blog (0)

ADVERTISEMENT

Re: Medicalizing relationship problems

Postby Chucky » Sat Jun 20, 2009 11:17 pm

Thomas, I am tending to agree with you on this one, and I think that it's blatantly obvious that diagnosing a person with such a thing is not helpful for the teen's development. If this is an official diagnosis, then it will be with her for the rest of her life, and that is grossly unfortunate. Plus, one must realise that 'every' teenager opposes their parents from time to time. It makes me angry to think that this has happened.

Kevin
Chucky
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Local time: Thu Dec 03, 2020 3:35 am
Blog: View Blog (0)

Return to Acute Stress Disorder