Our partner

finding work difficult

Acute Stress Disorder message board, open discussion, and online support group.

finding work difficult

Postby porkchop » Thu Aug 28, 2008 5:58 am

i am currently finding a new job, after i quit my last one after my despression got worse and i stopped getting out of bed.

however i find that my anxiety is undermining me again. i act all confident in the interview and then break apart after.

i have been to a few interviews lately and i am going in for a trial in a newsagency tomorrow. i guess its general stress but i just don't do stress in a healthy way and i am freaking out.

its not so much that i won't be able to do the work, but i just don't want to go i just so badly don't want to go, i know my gut instinct isn't always spot on anymore but i just feel wrong about this job it doesn't feel right....i was going to say no to going in for trial but i am too weak and now i am freaking out freaking out freaking out......i really wish i hadn't said yes, i wish i had been strong.

i just had to get that off my chest otherwise i just might go mad from stress and anxiety.
porkchop
Consumer 2
Consumer 2

Local time: Wed Dec 02, 2020 12:26 pm
Blog: View Blog (0)

ADVERTISEMENT

Postby jasmin » Thu Aug 28, 2008 11:44 am

((((((((porkchop))))))))) I get very stressed when it comes to jobs too, and I often feel like I have this "instinct" about when something bad will happen, but it's not true. You could try to take a lucky charm with you, or message someone who understands on your phone, if you feel weird at your new job. If it doesn't work out and you feel like you can't take it, you don't have to do it. You're just gonna give it a try.
jasmin
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Postby JamiLea » Mon Dec 01, 2008 9:52 pm

Dear Porkchop,

Oh how I can relate to how you feel so very well.

My advice? Take it slow. Write down what you really want in a job. Maybe you are trying to be someone you aren't? Go for what you really want in a job such as who your employer is, what the job description is, what sort of benefits they offer, etc. Don't settle for less and don't spread yourself too thin. And definitely don't just take a job offer just because you desperately need money. If that's all you are worried about, you will miss the red flags about the job. I know that's easier said than done, but it works.

My mentor once told me to go to a few staffing agencies and list that you are available for temporary assignments. Temporary projects really help take the load off as far as stress goes because you don't have to be somewhere for very long and you can pretty much go at your own pace. I did that for awhile and it really helped me as well as put a lot of things in perspective. Try it out.

I really hope if any of what I said helps. Job retention is hard for a lot of people so you are not alone. I wish the best of luck to you. Try some Yoga or swimming. I know it sounds funny but I've found there is something so tranquil about those 2 things. For me anyways...

*hugs*
JamiLea
Consumer 0
Consumer 0

Postby B2_Spirit » Tue Dec 02, 2008 3:08 pm

If the job doesn't feel right, don't go. Who's forcing you? Wait a while till you feel more confident. Take the stress off yourself. Go for a job you think you might like and therefore you'll feel better and more confident.

Often I found the worst interviews were for jobs I really didn't want to do. Jobs I knew I would hate if I got them. So don't bother with those unless necessity beats you over the head.
B2_Spirit
Consumer 0
Consumer 0

Re: finding work difficult

Postby peacefulwarrior » Thu Dec 18, 2008 5:01 pm

porkchop wrote:i have been to a few interviews lately and i am going in for a trial in a newsagency tomorrow. i guess its general stress but i just don't do stress in a healthy way and i am freaking out.

General stress or any other stress feels awful, I have tried tons of things to beat my feelings of stress, some work better than others for different people.

Things to try:

> Jogging (Many swear by this)
> Build up your self-esteem with some good motivational books
> Vitamin B12 (Works great for many)
> Monitor your chatterbox (What is your mind focused on?)
> Relaxation techniques like deep breathing
> Meditation (worked best for me)

I know it can seem awful when you are feeling these feelings but you are NOT going mad, you simply need to get back in tune with yourself.

Try and focus on "right now" and don't focus on what you should have done or have to do in the future.

Good luck, PW :wink:
peacefulwarrior
Consumer 0
Consumer 0

Return to Acute Stress Disorder