Our partner

Image on the internet -- help

Acute Stress Disorder message board, open discussion, and online support group.

Image on the internet -- help

Postby ialch87 » Sun Oct 29, 2017 10:09 pm

I'm having severe difficulty in overcoming an image in my head that I was tricked into viewing on the internet. The image is of a former friend of mine smiling disturbingly (imo) in the darkness while holding a baby pig. It's complicated, but he tricked me into viewing the picture and made me think that I represented the pig.

It's been over five and a half years since I originally saw the photo, but the picture has increasingly made its way to the forefront of my thoughts through various means. The photo still being on the internet is one problem that has contributed to this and I've made the mistake of looking at it several times over the past few years, hoping that it would be deleted. The only thing that's changed about it is the pig is no longer easily identified because the camera angle was changed. My ex-friend's smile still remains though and has seeped into my thoughts at night, giving me significant sleep problems in addition to cognitive difficulties throughout the day.

I don't hold a job nor am I in school and don't have any (real life) friends. However, I'm trying to get back into school and am trying to get a job and I can't have this problem keep interfering with my life. It has messed with my sanity and I can't take it anymore. I've been on various antipsychotics and was admitted to several psych units during the summer, but none of that really helped. Now I'm on Lexapro, which is supposed to treat some PTSD and OCD. I haven't noticed any changes yet and it's been about a month since I started.

I don't know what to do to get the thought out of my head. It feels like I've tried everything. Distractions help, but they only do so much. Are there any ideas anyone has that might help?
ialch87
Consumer 0
Consumer 0

Local time: Wed Dec 02, 2020 10:49 pm
Blog: View Blog (0)

ADVERTISEMENT

Re: Image on the internet -- help

Postby Terry E. » Fri Nov 03, 2017 2:44 am

Unfortunately I think it all comes back to you. We can try and moved forward or we can hang onto our hurt.

If you talk to any physiotherapist they will tell you stories of people who came in from horrific car accidents who made quick remarkable recoveries. Others who had tripped and sprained an ankle went on to develop a life time limp.

You can't control your environment but you can control (although for many it may be very hard) your reaction.

I wish you well, take care.
Terry E.
Moderator: Consumer
Moderator: Consumer

Local time: Thu Dec 03, 2020 3:49 am
Blog: View Blog (1)

Return to Acute Stress Disorder