Our partner

A little lost, a little confused, a little lack of knowledge

Acute Stress Disorder message board, open discussion, and online support group.

A little lost, a little confused, a little lack of knowledge

Postby Hallux » Tue Jun 20, 2006 5:20 am

Being at a loss for words has never been an issue with me, but how to start this has found me at that point.

I am what any person with knowledge of the North American teenager would consider somewhat normal. I use the word "somewhat" loosely, because I am not by any stretch of the imagination social, nor do I crave the attentions of my peers or anyone else my age bracket, and am a content homebody. Or so I consciously think. I do not play sports, participate in any school groups, or have many friends outside of the small clique I "hang" with at school and no where else. I simply have no desire to do these things and I never have. I do, however, crave being outside of my home and as far away from it as possible.

But that information is probably irrelevent to the reason I am posting here.

For the past year or two I have undergone serious physical and mental changes, and I am not sure what to attribute them to.

These physical changes started with my hair falling out in copious amounts, nearly handfulls, an inability to gain weight (I needed to at the time, for when this all came about I was underweight already, but have since reached a healthier weight), serious depression, mild delirium, mood swings that are not triggered by "that time of the month" and the oddest sensation that my shoulderblades are being pulled off (though it's not painfull, actually more of an intense tickleing sensation that is very unpleasant and travels down my arms and gives the feeling of my shoulderblades being pulled off). Now, I'm not sure that the shoulderblades are 100% relevant but I've been told it could be.

Anyway. I have confronted my parents about these issues, to which they responded with classic parental answers; I needed more vitamins, I needed to get out and be social, my relationship is unhealthy, I'm too stressed and need to relax.

For one, as I have already mentioned, I do not like the company of anyone in my age bracket, and those older than me whos company I do find pleasure in do not wish to make someone of my age a frequent companion. I also have had blood drawn and it showed my vitamin levels where perfectly healthy.My relationship has a rather large age gap and therefore any excuse for me to leave the man I am with is quickly snatched up. As far as stress goes, I do no obviously stressfull activities, nor have any stressfull relationships with the few people I do associate with.

Now, the point of my rambleing on about myself.

These problems have gone on for almost exactly a year now, despite my efforts to curb them, and I am wondering what I should do to stop them, for they are extremely unsettleing. I am told they are caused by stress, all of them, but I do not know how to stop stress I cannot identify.

Would anyone advise my seeking medical attention for these persistant problems?

I have reached mentally unstable conditions that have almost been mistaken for mild schizophrenia on past occasions and this has brought me to full awareness of my situation.

Any commentary on possible solutions or help I should seek would be extremely welcome, for I am at a loss as to what I need to do.
Last edited by Hallux on Sun Jul 02, 2006 11:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Hallux
Consumer 0
Consumer 0

Local time: Tue Dec 01, 2020 2:48 pm
Blog: View Blog (0)

ADVERTISEMENT

Postby harry » Tue Jun 20, 2006 7:41 pm

I would try an antidepressant such as prozac which often helps both for stress and depression, read up about the fight or flight response on the net

exercise and long walks relaxes people, maybe join a gym
harry
Consumer 5
Consumer 5

Postby cezanne » Sat Jul 01, 2006 5:58 am

Being a teenager is tough enough without going through what you described. To me it sounds like your stressed and depressed all in one. Sometimes when we have something traumatic happen to us in are lives it can trigger a person to have anxiety or depression. To me stress is something we all go through in are daily lives but when it reaches a new level that can't be shut down then I think it's anxiety. possibly depression. If I were you I would see a psychologist and see what they say. I don't think your parent's understand what your going through because they can't relate.
cezanne
Consumer 0
Consumer 0

Postby Hallux » Sat Jul 01, 2006 6:25 am

I suppose I should branch from my hesitance and mention that the delirium has been coupled with hallucinations. These hallucinations range from simple object distortion, to hypnagogic or pre-sleep hallucinations of feeling as if I am sliding up the wall at my back, to hallucinations of a physical presence usually in the form of small, 5-8 year old children bearing rather grousome looking injuries, as well as auditory hallucinations of movements, whipsering and occassionally full-fledged voices, but in an effort to keep from hysterics I haven't concentrated on the messages the voices are delivering.

The voices. Good lord, I never thought I'd bring myself to admit I hear voices.
Hallux
Consumer 0
Consumer 0

Postby cezanne » Sun Jul 02, 2006 6:02 am

What you described about the hallucinations sounds pretty bizarre. Have you had any drug use in your life? It sounds like a chemical inbalance of some kind. How long have you been going through this, and how old are you? Are you paranoid at all? You might research delusional scizophrenia, I probably didn't spell that right. The only thing is you sound like your relatively normal on the computer. People that have scizophrenia seem preocupied and don't really relate to reality in my experiences anyway. If you can see psychologist I would. Anyways I hope Iv'e been somewhat helpful.
cezanne
Consumer 0
Consumer 0

Postby Hallux » Sun Jul 02, 2006 6:18 am

I'm currently in my mid-teens, and the hallucinations started roughly ...a year and a half ago, before most of the stress set in, and consisted of only two occurances. I have in the past suffered from extreme bouts of unprovoked paranoia that ended rather nastily. I have never done drugs, and my alcohol consumption is limited two 3 yearly celebrations ( new years, 4th of july, and my friend Josh's birthday) and a week-long trail riding trip we take every year in which we usually sit around a camp fire n have a beer or two to calm the nerves and help us sleep. (It's a tough ride. Many people and horses drop out after the first day and we usually end with only 1/4th of those we started with.) And since submitting my first post, I suffered a back injury that required medical attention and I was able to mention the internal issues that have surfaced within the past year and the doctor advised me to see a child psychologist and while my mother accepted the idea, my father quickly dismissed it, though I'm sure none of the problems where explained to him. I know I am certainly not of the mental fortitude to confront him one-on-one about it, and in the past I confronted him via my mother. The doctor I consulted said that due to the differances in the "symptoms" he couldn't pinpoint me with depression, or anything else, so there's no telling what it is. But due to some recent happenings and the fact that I'm getting less and less sleep each night because of some of these things, I am going to press the issue of seeking more help.

Aye. I am also too cohearant and when expressing myself (such as talking or expressing ideas/thoughts) I am very articulate, if you will, and don't show any other signs of problems, which made it even more puzzleing for my doctor. Outwardly, I am as normal as the next person, internally is a little different.

And my most sincere gratitude goes to you for your advice and the time you took to answer my post. :)
Hallux
Consumer 0
Consumer 0

Re: A little lost, a little confused, a little lack of knowledge

Postby Jenn35 » Fri Jul 21, 2006 6:57 pm

Get the free ebook on stress from www.alphadynamics.com, it should help you to understand what is happening.

Jenn
Jenn35
Consumer 0
Consumer 0

Postby Sneha » Wed Jun 11, 2008 11:31 am

There are number of medicines available for depression in the market today. You should take a proper treatment well don't worry you can get some information about depression visit http://www.xanax-effects.com
Sneha
Consumer 0
Consumer 0

Postby wordsnmelanie » Tue May 05, 2009 2:26 pm

Hallux,
How old are you exactly? Have you had any issues with violence? Have you felt abnormally aggressive followed by periods of being extremely docile? From what you have described you are going through the beginning phases of schizophrenia. I strongly suggest that you contact a mental health professional (preferably a psychologist) and discuss your symptoms w/ him/her. Hallucinations, delusions and random points of paranoia, along with the other symptoms you have described are very telling of paranoid schizophrenia. The fact you are able to articulate yourself so well gives evidence of your intelligence, however that is neither a telling factor, or dismissing factor you schizophrenia. One thing that you need to realize is that you are the one who needs to make the final decision about your health. Personally I can understand if your father is unwilling to admit you need psychological help; there is still the perception that a lot of stigma goes along w/ seeking help in that area and can be very scary for someone who doesn't know all the facts. The best thing you can do is to let your father know exactly what is going on with you and tell him that the only way that you can be sure you can get better is to utilize all options, including seeing a mental health professional. The more information you give him about your experiences the better, and if nothing else just keep on him until he allows you to get what you need. If he truly loves you and wants to see you healthy then he won't deny something for you if he sees that you really do need it and it will help you get better. At least I hope that is the case.
Hope this helps,
-Mel
wordsnmelanie
Consumer 0
Consumer 0

Return to Acute Stress Disorder

• Related articles
    Replies
    Views
    Last post