Our partner

PTSD from extended exposure to a stressful lifestyle

Acute Stress Disorder message board, open discussion, and online support group.

PTSD from extended exposure to a stressful lifestyle

Postby GI Joe » Tue Jun 11, 2013 2:12 am

Greetings ; I'm seeking assistance regarding a type of PTSD which is NOT from one experience but a prolonged lifestyle of high stress. I'm retired US military reserves and retired police officer from a major law enforcement agency in the US. I'm not a combat vet however have been in numerous military operations in hazardous areas around the world. I do have guilt from not participating in certain combat operations with my unit. As a police officer I encountered many hazardous situations and have dealt with many deaths and injuries. Thankfully I have not been wounded nor have I had to use deadly force. I have been present or arrived on the scene of various shootings and violent crimes. Also I drew my weapon on a nearly weekly basis where my finger was on the trigger and I was ready to fire on suspects. I believe in God and do pray. I am an alcoholic and struggle to stay sober. I don't drink daily but on occasion "binge drink." I refuse to go to the veterans administration, I distrust them. I would appreciate any assistance in this matter...
GI Joe
Consumer 0
Consumer 0

Local time: Thu Dec 03, 2020 4:47 am
Blog: View Blog (0)

ADVERTISEMENT

Re: PTSD from extended exposure to a stressful lifestyle

Postby loise » Thu Jun 13, 2013 8:30 am

Hi! im just a member here, not an expert. But just the fact of joining the forum will help you find ways to help yourself. You are already half of the way...because you realize that the stress you have live in has been extreem and too long, so you need to look for a different rhythm. Find out what (not alcohol) gives you some peace, some presence, that lets your mind rest a bit. For example, cooking, or walking, or camping, everybody has a different answer.
changing your pace, will take time and perseverance. At times you will be desperate for action,
or thrillers, but try to enhance whatever helps you relax.....
stay in the forum, look into the different forums, the anxiety, the addiction, just in case.
and try to take your health into your hands.
Maybe at some point you may realize that you need help outside this forum,
but go one step at a time.
good luck!
loise
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Re: PTSD from extended exposure to a stressful lifestyle

Postby woodstock41 » Sat Oct 26, 2013 1:20 am

GI Joe, I feel for ya buddy. While we see the stressful circumstances you've pointed out, you haven't mentioned specific symptoms yet. Alcohol is self medication to numb your senses from the symptoms that bother you.
I am not an expert, I am an afflicted person just like you. For the past 12 years I have sought therapists and meds for relief from my symptoms. My Dx is Complex PTSD, Gen Anxiety Disorder, Major Depression and ADHD.
If I were you I would look at Complex PTSD and see if any of the symptoms seem to fit you. I am new here, but I hope they send me an email if you reply so we can keep in touch.
woodstock41
Consumer 0
Consumer 0

Return to Acute Stress Disorder

• Related articles
    Replies
    Views
    Last post