Our partner

Stress Relief

Acute Stress Disorder message board, open discussion, and online support group.

Postby jaunty_mellifluous » Wed Apr 23, 2008 6:53 pm

Hi Rachel.
jaunty_mellifluous
Consumer 3
Consumer 3

Local time: Wed Dec 02, 2020 5:44 pm
Blog: View Blog (0)

ADVERTISEMENT

best relief

Postby kevilars » Sun Jul 06, 2008 12:49 pm

make friends with a massage therapist or better yet, get a girlfriend/boyfriend who is one. A massage any time you want it just makes the stress melt away.
Kevin
Check out my Insomnia Blog!
kevilars
Consumer 3
Consumer 3

Local time: Wed Dec 02, 2020 4:44 am

You can change this

Postby peacefulwarrior » Thu Dec 18, 2008 5:44 pm

Jenn35 wrote:
GummyFeet wrote:you cant get cancer from stress

Stressed people produce more adrenaline, noradrenaline and cortisol than other people and there is evidence that these 'fight or flight' stress hormones can have a damaging effect upon every major organ or the body including the heart and depress the auto-immune system. Asthma is a dis-ease of the auto-immune system so there may be some relationship.

Jenn

Jenn,

Did you know that you can control your levels of adrenaline, cortisol etc through altering your brainwave states?

This discovery was a revelation to me last year when i found out..

-------------------

The most common brainwave states we humans use are:

BETA

During Beta we are in a normal waking state, alert and concentrating. When we are feeling anxious, uneasy or stressed, higher or faster beta waves occur (30Hz plus) When we feel threatened, extremely fearful or experience the fight or flight response the extreme beta waves occur.

ALPHA

As we close our eyes, relax, becoming passive and unfocused, our brain wave activity slows down, and we produce alpha waves. These range in frequency from 8 to 12.9 Hz. We produce calming neuro chemicals. Deeper Alpha wave patterns are the predominant wave patterns for traditional meditation.

THETA

As calmness and relaxation deepen into sleepiness, the brain shifts to slower, more powerfully rhythmic theta waves. Theta waves have a frequency range of 4 to 7.9 Hz. Theta waves are frequently accompanied by unexpected, dreamlike mental images. Quite often these images can be accompanied by vivid memories, predominantly childhood memories. Theta is associated with healing, enhanced creativity, sudden insight (eureka or ah-ha moments) when everything suddenly becomes clear.

DELTA

Delta waves are the slowest brain waves ranging in frequency from 0.1 to 3.9 - Usually people are asleep during delta, however there is proof that it is possible to stay alert in this state—an extremely deep trance-like state. Also it is within delta that our brains are triggered to release great quantities of healing growth hormones.

-------------------

Through some meditation techniques, you can change your brainwave states from stressful BETA to calm ALPHA and in doing so, change your levels of harmful stress chemicals.

PW

:wink:
peacefulwarrior
Consumer 0
Consumer 0

Local time: Wed Dec 02, 2020 12:44 pm

Stress is dangerous

Postby peach3000 » Fri Dec 26, 2008 2:05 pm

Stress can affect many bodily functions, and cause illnesses to worsen or even help creatin new illnesses.
For help and free tips on stress management, visit http://www.stress-help-guide.com
peach3000
Consumer 0
Consumer 0

Postby dcambria » Thu May 14, 2009 2:25 pm

confused_guy wrote:I am asthmatic, and most of the times when i'm stressful, i get these kind of attacks.

Still, i would like to know...to how much, stress and asthma are connected?

Can stress be dangerous for asthmatic people?

hmm, it looks others believe stress and asthma are connected.
a cleveland clinic writes about how to relieve asthma by relieving stress
http://my.clevelandclinic.org/disorders/Asthma/hic_Stress_and_Asthma.aspx
and webmd has an article on it, although it doesn't seem very good
http://www.webmd.com/asthma/guide/stress-asthma

finally, a very interesting connection showing stressed mothers tend to have asthmatic children
http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2008/01/080115085418.htm

i think its not unreasonable that there's a connection. stress causes certain hormones to rise in the body, which have effects on dilation and constriction of vasculature.[/url]
dcambria
Consumer 1
Consumer 1

Re: Stress Relief

Postby My2cents » Sat Jul 16, 2011 11:14 am

There is something called Bio Feedback. You hook up to a machine to measure your pulse and bp. You watch the numbers and try to reduce them. It can be used to develop control over one's body and stress.
My2cents
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Postby shree123 » Tue Nov 29, 2011 4:33 am

Now a days, in this fast running routine life and pollution is affect on our health and it will show in form of stress. This is the big reason behind stress and the best solution is to exercise daily and get out of stress. You can also hear the song, go for holidays and spend the time with your friends. you will definitely stressed out.
shree123
Consumer 4
Consumer 4

Postby rpb » Sat Mar 30, 2013 12:58 pm

Over the years I have used all of these - hypnotherapy & self hypnosis, counselling and deeper therapy, shadow work (you can find more info on all of these things on the web), group work with the ManKind Project, meditation, relaxation - specifically autogenic training - walking in the countryside, running, gym work, relaxing with friends, and less positively, drinking, gambling, and shopping. I highly recommend actionistic type therapy (think psychodrama) as it is the most empowering and it is done in a group. The power of the group work is amazing - its very normalizing (hey, I'm not the only one with this problem) and it provides support and a kind of community.
rpb
Consumer 1
Consumer 1

Postby Rolodex23 » Fri Jun 01, 2018 6:16 am

I have asthma and when i am stressed- i have difficulty breathing. Thus for me- stress exacerbates my asthma.
Two very good techniques that calm stress are EFT- tapping and holding you fingers. I dont know how to cut and paste sites or id pass a few your way. both take just a few minutes to do and helps greatly. And- it its free!
Good luck.
Diagnosis: C-PTSD, Dissociate Disorder, DID
Rolodex23
Consumer 0
Consumer 0

Local time: Wed Dec 02, 2020 4:44 am

Postby Wally58 » Fri Jun 01, 2018 8:30 pm

This thread goes back quite a ways.
Breathing was the first thing that changed for me when an anxiety or panic attack was imminent. I keep tuned to that now as the first warning sign.
I used to hyperventilate without even being aware that I was doing so. I thought that I was having a stroke or heart attack and that just made things worse. I didn't think I was getting enough air and the feeling was like suffocating.
I now catch myself, take slow deep breaths and empty my mind.
There are things you can train yourself to focus on in order to back away from the precipice of panic. It also helps to lower blood pressure and maintain good judgement.
Taking care of yourself when the warning signs pop up is paramount.
Stress itself may not cause cancer, but it encourages unhealthy types of behavior, like alcohol, smoking, sugar intake and sleep disorders that can cause many stress-related diseases.
Best of luck to you. :D
We do NOT delete posts

Read the forum rules before posting here. If you are having any doubts about what you are posting, if you are thinking in the back of your mind, "I am going to want to delete this, or these details, later", remove those details, or step back and don't post until you are sure.
Wally58
Moderator: Consumer
Moderator: Consumer

Local time: Wed Dec 02, 2020 8:44 am

Previous

Return to Acute Stress Disorder

• Related articles
    Replies
    Views
    Last post