Our partner

What does trych/trich mean???

Trichotillomania message board, open discussion, and online support group.

What does trych/trich mean???

Postby chinkeymonkey01 » Mon Apr 18, 2005 10:30 pm

i have this disorder. not severely, i will pull out my eyelashes and eyebrows (mostly eyebrows but not to the point where I can't use a liner to cover up what i've done). i remember when i was younger i used to pull out pubic hair but now i never have a desire to do that. my question is this: what does this mean??? is it a sign of repressed issues? is it just a habit? does it go along with other disorders (ADD, compulsive disorders, etc.)? if anyone knows this please fill me in!
chinkeymonkey01

ADVERTISEMENT

Postby MSBLUE » Tue Apr 19, 2005 11:53 am

[tricho- + Greek tillein, to pluck hair + -mania.]

Compulsion to pull out one's hair.

Definition and a story of one with....
Where to begin?/What is trichotillomania?
I should probably start by telling you what trichotillomania is. That is, the actual definition. Trichotillomania is: The compulsion to tear or pluck out the hair on one's head and face and often to ingest it. A compulsion to pull out one's own hair. abnormal desire to pull out one's hair called also hairpulling - tricho?til?lo?man?ic /-'man-ik/ adjective. n : an irresistible urge to pull out your own hair.

Now let me give you my own definition of trich. Trich is something that just comes upon you...one moment you realize you've pulled out a hair...and how relaxed it made you feel to pull it out. You love that relaxed feeling...you become tense again...and the need to pull another hair and feel relaxed again is so intense it's like your fingers and scalp and mind is on fire. Then, you find a hair, and pull...and funnily enough you don't feel the pain anymore. Just that lovely relaxed feeling. It's there for a moment, but then you become tense again, always needing more. Always in search of the perfect hair...the one that will make that relaxed feeling last. You think that only a few hairs missing from your head won't matter...that hairs grow back fast. That's just what they DO. No one will even notice they're gone. Days go by and the pulling gets worse and worse as your need for that pulling-induced relaxation gets stronger like an addiction. One day you look in the mirror and realize you've got a nickle-sized bald spot on the top of your head. And on the sides of your head. And gosh, you really can notice all the missing hairs underneath your bangs. But now it's too late. Your body and mind needs that relaxed feeling so badly...there's no going back. You try to stop yourself fom pulling...try to distract yourself, but it occupies every moment. You find your fingers in your hair without realizing what you were doing.

People started to notice then that my hair looked funny. I was about 15 when I started pulling. Looking back, I don't remember being stressed. I just remember thinking that my hair looked sparkly in one section and I wanted to see it more closely. So I pulled one. And that was it for me. I think there's a lot of things I can't remember in my life (more on this in future posts), but this one moment stands out so clearly. The first person to comment on my hair was my aunt Lori who said "You better stop dyeing your hair...it's getting THIN!". When I went to college, the pulling got so bad I had to wear a hat all the time. I was so desperate to hide it from my roommates that I would come out of the shower still wearing my ball cap. What an awful feeling. I can't describe how it feels to be 1/3 bald on your head.....because you pulled it out. Your scalp itches...it feels bumpy and greasy and gross. You can feel the wind blow your long hairs and expose the bald parts. I was afraid to go out without my ball cap on. I tried to keep my hair in a ponytail...but even then it was hard to cover up and eventually I couldn't put it in a ponytail anymore. I'm not sure what I did with it after that point to cover up the damage.

One time my roommates noticed my hair...and I made up some excuse about how my hair had become so damaged and had just broken off at the roots. One time I went to my mom's hairdresser...who said there was nothing to do with my hair but just cut it. She wouldn't even give me a perm. I left the salon feeling so humiliated...and I haven't been back since. That was when I was 18. I'm almost 28 now.

You do weird things when you have trich. You become desperate to be alone so that you can pull. Or you try to find secret ways to pull. One time I always wrecked my truck because of pulling while I was driving. You lie to people about why you wear a hat all the time. I can't explain the ugliness that I felt when the pulling was really bad. Even on my wedding day, I couldn't do my hair the way that I wanted. That was a real low point.

The worst time I've had pulling was after the birth of my beautiful daughter almost two years ago. I would just sit and pull and pull while she napped. I was so stressed and so tired. Everyone who is a mother would know how this feels. But trich was my only way out...my only temporary escape. Because for some reason, I don't like to talk to people. I don't like to talk about myself, or how I feel. So instead my feelings come out in other ways, like pulling or overeating or shopping too much. I'm not quite sure how to change this. Everyone sees me as a very happy, very caring person...but inside I feel numb and detached much of the time. I know my life is very happy, and that I have a lot to live for. But there are so many words and feelings in my head that never get out...and I don't know how to get them out. I was raised to believe that my feelings were invalid...unless I was acting happy and sweet. Anything else was not appreciated. I felt ignored alot. I guess I just withdrew into myself at a very early age and I never came back out. I do hope to change this, someday. Maybe keeping this diary will help.

I've been pull-free now for maybe 71 days? I'm not sure...I've lost track. I don't know how long this will last. I've been pull-free before, but it never lasts beyond three months. But while I'm pull-free, it feels like it will last forever. But while I'm pulling, it feels like I'll never be able to stop. I love the way my hair is starting to look right now. It's more filled in that it has been since I was 16. I want to stay pull free. I hope that I can.

I hope that this diary will help someone else who has trich. I always felt alone in having it. I mean, what kind of person does this to themselves on purpose? It just doesn't make any sense. I hate trich. I wish I would have never had it. But I also want to let people out there know that you're NOT alone. And this isn't your fault. And that your still beautiful. Things people never said to me.

Until tomorrow.

Posted by Cody on August 18, 2004 07:05 PM

This dx is an impulse control disorder.

here is a link for more info
http://my.webmd.com/hw/mental_health/nord768.asp

my best
MSBLUE
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Local time: Wed Oct 01, 2014 12:16 pm
Blog: View Blog (0)

Postby Valkyrie » Wed Jul 13, 2005 3:26 pm

Oooh there's a name for this? I am obsessed with plucking my eyebrows! If I even feel a bit of regrowth it annoys me all day until I can pluck it. It doesn't hurt and I can't stop. I don't do the whole eyebrow though, just the bits where they need doing (the regrowth bit) - if I enjoy it does that mean I have a mania?! WOW. Learn something new every day.
"I think you ought to know I'm feeling very depressed" - Marvin the Paranoid Android, The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy
Valkyrie
Consumer 0
Consumer 0

Local time: Wed Oct 01, 2014 7:16 pm

Postby MSBLUE » Wed Jul 13, 2005 5:15 pm

It is not the same kind of mania found in bipolar.

Here is a website dedicated to trichotillomania , or hair pulling,

http://www.trich.org/home/default.asp
MSBLUE
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Local time: Wed Oct 01, 2014 12:16 pm

Postby Joshua's mom » Sat Nov 26, 2005 12:25 am

:lol:What a trip! I never knew there was a name for this. I focus on my left eyebrow. Just the middle. New growth that is stubbly. As I type this most of it is gone. I do my upper lip, inside of my legs too. I have my favorite tweezers. My favorite time is evening, watching T.V. My grown sons lovingly tease me about it. Wait till I tell them this. lol A few years ago I saw someone speak of this mania in a disparaging way, and it made me feel bad, for a moment. Tweeze on. lol :P
Joshua's mom
Consumer 0
Consumer 0

Local time: Wed Oct 01, 2014 6:16 pm

Re: What does trych/trich mean???

Postby xtina1373 » Tue Jun 09, 2009 1:26 am

I believe i have this disorder . It started i think back when I was in fourth grade , i was in the AIG class which was a special class for more advance students . Well for me it was a little difficult and the teacher was a real be-yotch if you know what i'm saying so i was extremely stressed out and started losing my hair . I was pulling it out but i couldnt really control it , I didnt think anything of it . Eventually it grew into this large bald spot right around my part in the center of my hair . the part was literally about 2 inches wide . Eventually it grew back .. but it was rather embarressing . I dont honestly remember if it happened between my 5th grade year to my 9th grade year , but i remember around 9th grade i started to do it again . this time it was with my eyelashes and eyebrows . I never knew why I did it , i figured it had something to do with stress . I had always had acne and seemed to always pick at the blimishes on my face also . Well I still do it to this day , but i dont do it obsessively , i know when to stop should i say . When I'm bored i do it more , mostly sitting around on the internet or watching tv . I dont really mind the habit , but now its to where I pick at facial hair like around my lip and chin , its like the minute I see a hair that doesnt look right i gotta get it . same with the eyebrows i still do it to them . and with the hair on my head i always like the pieces that are kinky , or real crimped i always find them and gotta pull them out . Also i have a spot right below my belly button , i started picking at them and now its to where when the hair growns in its darker so its like when i spot them i get them . i do it just about every evening for bout 10-15 mins . it seems so weird , but as long as i'm not doing it to where I'm hurting myself I feel like i dont need to get rid of it , right ? its more like a stress reliever to me :D
xtina1373
Consumer 0
Consumer 0

Local time: Wed Oct 01, 2014 2:16 pm

Return to Trichotillomania Forum

• Related articles
    Replies
    Views
    Last post