Our partner

constantly playing with my hair

Trichotillomania message board, open discussion, and online support group.

constantly playing with my hair

Postby openyermind » Thu Dec 04, 2008 4:53 am

hey there!

i'm a little different from the average trichtillomania diagnosi, but here it goes.

i am always playing with my hair. when i have a free hand it is in my hair. i dont exactly rip at it, just kind of smooth it out while pulling gently, but my hair does fall out when i do this...a lot. i have a few bald patches due to this. when i am reminded to stop, i do, until i am occupied by something else. then i go right back to it. i feel kind of uneasy when i cant do it, it's very calming for me. but i dont want to go bald, and i look really strange walking around pulling at my hair. all of my friends have noticed and try to remind me to stop, but it doesnt help much. what's the best way to handle this? i'd really like to grow my hair out long--but i dont see how i ever will if i keep this up.
openyermind
Consumer 0
Consumer 0

Local time: Thu Dec 18, 2014 2:42 am
Blog: View Blog (0)

ADVERTISEMENT

MariaKaterinasAdvice.synthasite.com

Postby MariaKaterinaVentouras » Thu Dec 04, 2008 5:58 am

I am offering free personal advice. I am a highly qualified psychotherpist. Please visit my website listed above. I am reaching out to people all over the world. You can see my video on my website or you may view my video on you tube when you type in Maria Ventouras under videos. Thank you and I hope to hear from many individuals. Maria Ventouras
MariaKaterinaVentouras
Consumer 0
Consumer 0

Postby jasmin » Thu Dec 04, 2008 5:37 pm

Hey, openyermind! You could try to put little reminders where you might see them, like maybe a special bracelet or ring that'll remind you to stop. Maybe you could try to figure out if this behavior is triggered by anything too. Sorry I can't be of more help.

***Everyone, please know that we have not verified MariaKaterinaVentouras's credentials and you take her advice at your own risk.
jasmin
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Maria Katerina Ventouras

Postby MariaKaterinaVentouras » Fri Dec 05, 2008 12:31 am

Dear Jasmine,
Once again, I would like to thank you for worrying about people as I do. I would like you to know that I will submit my credentials to you and whomever asks for them. On my website which is named "MY Life" is a page where I speak about my own life. All people will be able to read the fact that I do not know much about my birth and the year I was born. I hope this did not cause any confusion and once again thank you for being helpful and concerned. Maria Katerina Ventouras
MariaKaterinaVentouras
Consumer 0
Consumer 0

Postby two_roads » Fri Dec 12, 2008 11:30 am

Sorry Maria, but you sound like a typical scam to me.

And I won't think differently until you have proved otherwise.
two_roads
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Postby Samara » Tue Jan 20, 2009 7:49 pm

maybe you can keep a ball on your desk or where ever you like to read.. that way if you have a free hand you can holld and play with the ball instead of it reaching your head.
i have my ears pierced something i have noticed is that if i wear dangling earings, i will play with those instead of playing with my hair
another thing i suggest is wearing a strechy bracelet with bead or something on it or even just hair scrunchies and you can play with it on your wrist.
i dont like it when people suggest stuff like wearing gloves and bandaids on your fingers because i don't feel like it's realistic.

hope everything goes well and this helps
keep us updated. =]
Samara
Consumer 2
Consumer 2

Me too!

Postby MadeInWales » Sat May 09, 2009 4:11 pm

Hi, this post just prompted me to register, as I also play with my hair A LOT! I am fortunate in that not too much of my hair falls out so I don't think I have any bald patches.

I think I started playing with it when I was about 18 (about 12 yrs ago) and I am not sure why. I was stressed about going to uni - perhaps that had something to do with it...although I do it when I am relaxed at home too, so I am not sure if it is an anxiety thing (though I do have anxiety issues). I haven't read many of the posts on the trichotillomania forum yet so perhaps I will get some insights once I have.

I do know that I enjoy feeling the texture of my hair and if I feel a hair that is a bit wiry or 'bad' then I pull it out. I reckon I only pull out about 1 a month (though I accidentally pull out a few more than that).

I don't really have any tips on how to stop, sorry :oops: . I am just trying to accept that I play with my hair, and if anyone comments on it, I just say that I like doing it, so there!

I hope you find something to help soon x :)
MadeInWales
Consumer 0
Consumer 0

Postby coldhands » Sat May 09, 2009 5:17 pm

Hmm interesting posts.

I do this is also. I am constantly obsessively compulsively rubbing my fingers through my head to try and smooth out my scalp. It has the unfortunate side affect of making it worse by creating dandruff which makes me more dedicated to trying to get my head completely smooth. Sometimes I get so involved I will sit all day rubbing my head. It’s usually worse when I’m stressed but not necessarily.

Even when I’m in public I can’t wait till someone leaves the room so I can scratch at my head and smooth out any dandruff bumps. And there been times when im meant to be somewhere but I miss the bus or arrive late because I couldn’t stop rubbing my head. When Ive decided it can’t be smooth out anymore i’ll give up and wash my hair and it starts all over again.

It has been a big part of my daily life since I was a teenager. It doesn’t majorly impact my life I can get on with day to day things. And when ever I lived with someone I always tell them I don’t have knits it’s just a thing I do. :oops:

Even now when I typing this I have to keep taking breaks to do it. :roll: I dunno why I do this I think I just really like the feeling of the texture. I guess it kind of like people who bite their nails. Sometimes it can make the finger tips on my left hand very sore and my finger tip have already pulled away from the nail from doing it too much.

Anyways what helps me is to put a big head band or a scarf over my head. :wink:
coldhands
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Postby MadeInWales » Sat May 09, 2009 6:11 pm

Ha ha, yes a head band is a good idea because I even play with my hair when it is in a pony tail, so after a bit I have all these strands of hair hanging out all over the place. It makes me laugh when I think of how I must look.

And I also have to stop typing every now and again to have a play. :D

I think I also like the repitition - the way I feel my hair has a certain rhythm :? . It is faster when I watch a scary film :P .

I have only recently started to try to find out more about it - why I do it, how it makes me feel.
MadeInWales
Consumer 0
Consumer 0

Postby coldhands » Sat May 09, 2009 10:43 pm

Yeah I'd liked to try and figure out more why I do it. :?

I being doing it for so long now it just comes as second nature right up there with breathing.

I can't imagine living a life where I didn't do it.

Although I don't know if I'd want to stop. It's too enjoyable. :)
coldhands
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Next

Return to Trichotillomania Forum

• Related articles
    Replies
    Views
    Last post