Our partner

Help me.

Trichotillomania message board, open discussion, and online support group.

Moderator: NewSunRising

Help me.

Postby quagsire » Fri Jul 24, 2015 6:52 pm

It's been about 6 years (started at 15) since I began, it started I remember vividly one day, got to the point where it was noticeable with others now I have reigned it in bu it's still a daily thing.

I started drinking HEAVY because of it, like 40-50 units a day.

Fastforward.

Now I've stopped drugs entirely and do it every day still but not noticeable.

In my drugs phase (18-20) I developed SEVERE anxiety issues, I mean ######6 hell I can't leave the house, it's unrelated to the trich but I have a good hold on it and do NO drugs at all now.

Anyway, I need to kill this habit off. Soon or I'm going to lose it and give up with life. I don't need sympathy, I need a real solution to this, I can't go on with life life this, it's just not possible, don't try to tell me otherwise please.

What helped you?
How did you give it up forever?
I have a GF, she can't find out about this because it's super abnormal behaviour and she would be right to be disgusted by it.

If I can get over it within the next few months with your help I'll donate £100 to trich.org. It's all I can spare right now.

Sorry for my ramblings.
quagsire
Consumer 0
Consumer 0

Local time: Tue Apr 16, 2024 12:12 pm
Blog: View Blog (0)

ADVERTISEMENT

Re: Help me.

Postby jeannalou » Sat Aug 01, 2015 2:57 pm

Hey! I'm glad to hear that you aren't abusing anything to cope anymore, you will always find friends hee and just come and vent here if you need to :)
1) Things that have helped me are taking up knitting and making hexaflexagons. They're little fidget toys you can make yourself with just some paper and coloured pens. They are good because as well as being a puzzle you can solve when you need something to focus your attention, they are also fun to just flip through absent mindedly when you are doing hwk, at school/work or watching TV
2) I'm sorry to say that there is no known cure for trich. Psychologists don't realise how many people our condition affects and so they don't think it's worth researching. Trying to give up completely can be really damaging because when you eventually do relapse you feel like even more of failure and it just makes it worse. Popular trich YouTuber Rebecca Brown explains this in a video on her channel TrichJournal https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kg67sgUB6sU Her vids are really good and as a person who has suffered trich and derma since she was 11, she just gets us :)
3) Rebecca Brown has also done a video about trich and sex+relationships too https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PT8cvZmYj_0 and also a video about how to tell people https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C_8inTzGAJ8 I know it seems scary (believe me the first time I told someone I was terrified, I had to tell them over text because I couldn't do it in person) but as soon as I started telling people my pulling decreased. It made me feel relieved that I didn't have to keep it to myself and being stressed makes me pull, so being less stressed made me pull less.
Also, imagine if it was the other way around and she was the one with trich: if she told you would you tell her it was gross? Of course you wouldn't! You'd try to help! Our brains make us more critical of ourselves than other people so 99% of the time people don't react as badly to things as we think.
I'm sorry this isn't the kind of answer you are looking for but I hope this helps :)
jeannalou
Consumer 1
Consumer 1

Local time: Tue Apr 16, 2024 12:12 pm

Re: Help me.

Postby Trichmale1979 » Sun Aug 02, 2015 4:47 am

quagsire wrote:It's been about 6 years (started at 15) since I began, it started I remember vividly one day, got to the point where it was noticeable with others now I have reigned it in bu it's still a daily thing.

I started drinking HEAVY because of it, like 40-50 units a day.

Fastforward.

Now I've stopped drugs entirely and do it every day still but not noticeable.

In my drugs phase (18-20) I developed SEVERE anxiety issues, I mean ######6 hell I can't leave the house, it's unrelated to the trich but I have a good hold on it and do NO drugs at all now.

Anyway, I need to kill this habit off. Soon or I'm going to lose it and give up with life. I don't need sympathy, I need a real solution to this, I can't go on with life life this, it's just not possible, don't try to tell me otherwise please.

What helped you?
How did you give it up forever?
I have a GF, she can't find out about this because it's super abnormal behaviour and she would be right to be disgusted by it.

If I can get over it within the next few months with your help I'll donate £100 to trich.org. It's all I can spare right now.

Sorry for my ramblings.
self control , you need to learn to control that urge to pull . I have it since I was 10 years old . I remember I pulled out whole scalp hair . My dad shaved my hair several times . Slow by slow I learned how to control it . That's a only key . I tried everything which modern medical sciences can offer but nothing help . Plus my dad is a professor surgeon of cancer.My scalp doesn't ask me to pull anymore . It is forgotten . I have healthy long hair .
Trichmale1979
Consumer 5
Consumer 5

Local time: Tue Apr 16, 2024 7:12 am

Return to Trichotillomania Forum