Our partner

hitting myself

Tourette's Syndrome message board, open discussion, and online support group.

Moderator: IceBlock

hitting myself

Postby Jasper » Wed Aug 29, 2012 12:06 pm

I just do this occationally when I'm stressed and right now it is the case again.

I hit myself again in the face with my right hand.
It's a tic and I do this a dozen times per day when I'm alone and just sometimes even when I meet other people.
I have some other tics, but they are just minor.

It's getting better with magnesium.

I don't right understand why it's just sometimes comming back!?
My second problem is that every time I'm at the shrink my tics just don't show up.

I toled my shrink about my tics, but I feel kind of stupid, because every time I'm there they just don't show up. :shock:
"Without realizing it, the individual composes his life according to the laws of beauty even in times of greatest distress." - Milan Kundera

dx: Tourette's, depression, gender dysphoria
in the past dx with: high functioning autism, ADHD
suspicion: Schizoaffective or schizotypal PD

(or schizo-...)
Jasper
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Local time: Thu Apr 24, 2014 8:13 pm
Blog: View Blog (0)

ADVERTISEMENT

Re: hitting myself

Postby FlutterPie » Thu Aug 30, 2012 5:50 pm

Have you tried "moving" the tic? I can't say that my TS is like everyone else's, but I have not had the same tics through my life. When I "move" a tic I try to replace the old one with a new one that Is not so bad/distracting. Sometimes I can just do the new thing. Other times I need to try to do something similar and then change it bit by bit. I don't know if anyone else has ever noticed this.

Some are situational in that I only get them when I am in a certain situation. Maybe that tic does not manifest when you see your shrink?
FlutterPie
Consumer 0
Consumer 0

Local time: Thu Apr 24, 2014 2:13 pm

Postby Jasper » Thu Aug 30, 2012 6:56 pm

FlutterPie wrote:When I "move" a tic I try to replace the old one with a new one that Is not so bad/distracting.

Also my tics change, but I have very often a "hitting in the face"-tic. Always a bit different.

I don't always have heavy tics they come periodically more or less.
And so it's just once in a while a problem for me.
I don't have much experience in changing them.
How do you do that? :shock:

FlutterPie wrote:Some are situational in that I only get them when I am in a certain situation. Maybe that tic does not manifest when you see your shrink?

Well, I believe that my tics just don't like shrinks and I can totally understand that. :lol:
:wink:
I sometimes have some minor tics at the shrink, but nothing important and if you don't look for them, you don't even really notice them. My major tics don't show up there.
But tomorrow I have an appiontment again and since my Tics got worse again, I didn't took any magnesium so far, so hopefully, my tics show up more this time by my shrink.

Every time I need them, they are just not there and when I don't need them, they just show up. :x
"Without realizing it, the individual composes his life according to the laws of beauty even in times of greatest distress." - Milan Kundera

dx: Tourette's, depression, gender dysphoria
in the past dx with: high functioning autism, ADHD
suspicion: Schizoaffective or schizotypal PD

(or schizo-...)
Jasper
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Local time: Thu Apr 24, 2014 8:13 pm

Postby Supersaneman » Fri Aug 31, 2012 11:42 pm

Had tics hitting myself in the head and other places a bit. Only lasted a couple of days. I've got a lot of different ones and which ones I get depend a lot on the position of my body. I am able to control them by concentrating on my forehead. The vocal tics aren't loud, but used to have like 10 different profanity words or phrases I'd use a lot, like dozens of times a day. Lately it's only a few ones and not as often, but it's all things like "kill people" "going to kill people" I'm going to kill people" "I'm going to kill everyone" "I should have killed everybody". Not really Tourettes either since I didn't get it before 18.
Supersaneman
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Local time: Thu Apr 24, 2014 10:13 pm

Postby FlutterPie » Wed Sep 05, 2012 9:08 pm

Jasper wrote:Also my tics change, but I have very often a "hitting in the face"-tic. Always a bit different.

I don't always have heavy tics they come periodically more or less.
And so it's just once in a while a problem for me.
I don't have much experience in changing them.
How do you do that? :shock:

I don't mean to make it sound very easy. There are some I may never stop like puffing air through my nose before bed.

For me it's a matter of trying to either do something else at the same time and then try to wean myself off of the old one. For example I have recently started creative writing and I had this awful hand clenching start where my knuckles were hurting. I managed to stop that by pressing my feet together so now I try to put tension between my feet while I type.

Another might be to move the spot there I need to do the "thing" a little if possible and migrate it over time. I do large numbers of fake "exercise joint flexing" that way.

Jasper wrote:Well, I believe that my tics just don't like shrinks and I can totally understand that. :lol:
:wink:

I think a lot of tics are activity specific. Or at least activity sensitive. Some research I was reading indicated that a number of TS individuals engage in "mimicry" beyond words. I find it kind of fascinating from a personal point of view.

-- Wed Sep 05, 2012 3:11 pm --

Supersaneman wrote:Had tics hitting myself in the head and other places a bit. Only lasted a couple of days. I've got a lot of different ones and which ones I get depend a lot on the position of my body. I am able to control them by concentrating on my forehead. The vocal tics aren't loud, but used to have like 10 different profanity words or phrases I'd use a lot, like dozens of times a day. Lately it's only a few ones and not as often, but it's all things like "kill people" "going to kill people" I'm going to kill people" "I'm going to kill everyone" "I should have killed everybody". Not really Tourettes either since I didn't get it before 18.

I'm so sorry to hear that! I had to work really hard to stop yelling at video games myself. It's strange but doing Tai-Chi made me realize that I had to just get control over my emotions as much as possible. I've been doing all I can to just increase personal physical control.
FlutterPie
Consumer 0
Consumer 0

Postby Supersaneman » Fri Sep 21, 2012 12:53 pm

Upset today. Started making very loud outburst. Mostly the F word and some really angry noises. Also things like hitting the table with my open hand. Probably more loud ones today than all previous days combined.

About a week ago I started getting clapping tics. I do one each time hard enough to hurt. I'm sometime able to stop it or make my hands miss since it takes a while for my hands to come together. Other recent new ones are smiling; shaking my hips from side to side multiple times. Still tic from being even a little surprised.

My tics mostly just happen. I'm not getting any urge to do them. I sometimes get some knowledge of it a couple of seconds before it happens, but it's rare and I'm not able to stop it based on it, just make it appear somewhere close by in the body instead. Suppressing them (by focusing at the 3rd eye) doesn't make it build up. It's beginning to seem to be as though my muscle-spasms are triggering immediate tics in the same body parts, in the arms at least.

I've been thinking the tic words in my head sometimes instead of saying them out loud. Also I've been getting intrusive thoughts a lot lately. It doesn't bother me nearly as much as it probably should, but it's repetitive and sometimes making my head feel as if I've been concentrating hard.
Supersaneman
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Local time: Thu Apr 24, 2014 10:13 pm

Postby FlutterPie » Wed Sep 26, 2012 8:03 pm

My tics mostly just happen. I'm not getting any urge to do them. I sometimes get some knowledge of it a couple of seconds before it happens, but it's rare and I'm not able to stop it based on it, just make it appear somewhere close by in the body instead. Suppressing them (by focusing at the 3rd eye) doesn't make it build up. It's beginning to seem to be as though my muscle-spasms are triggering immediate tics in the same body parts, in the arms at least.

I've been thinking the tic words in my head sometimes instead of saying them out loud. Also I've been getting intrusive thoughts a lot lately. It doesn't bother me nearly as much as it probably should, but it's repetitive and sometimes making my head feel as if I've been concentrating hard.

I'm a little hesitant because I don't have the breadth of knowledge of a real neuroscientist. But I do have a really strong science background and I have been exploring TS neurobiology with a passion that I think TS has had an impact on. The problem is that I can only tell you about the things that have been very successful for me, but I don't know if they will work for you because our respective reasons for developing TS may be different. This might seem unrelated to you at first, but hear me out.

Differences
*I have premonitory urges (the neuro term) so I'm unfamiliar with the completely uncontrollable tics (at least as far as I know). I've basically spent my stuffing all my urges into as many normal movements and actions as I can.
*I don't have word tics. At the most I make noises but they are not loud.

I have recently become obsessed with Tai-Chi and Yoga. This is not a normal system for learning or using either of them though. I have been using the Xbox360 Kinect and "Your Shape Fitness 2012".
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hR6FbwltSU8

This is an exercise and fitness program that actually shows yourself next to an instructor and applies a wireframe to your body while you exercise. It shows you when your body is not in the proper alignment, and scores you with a pretty fun and addictive system. To do well you must be able to watch a model perform, mimic the model, and listen to the model.

At first me and this program had issues. But I learned that my issues were probably symptoms of a lack of basic control and awareness of my body that stemmed from a childhood that was severely lacking in those areas. Here is what I discovered about myself with this "game".
*I had (and am still improving) horrible control issues between the left/right, and the arms/legs. I could simply not coordinate movements very well at all.
*I could not verbally understand the instructor, and watch/mimic the instructor at the same time.

There are probably a lot more little things that I could remember if I tried, but the basic message was that I had terrible abilities at focusing on, and controlling my body at the same time. I also had problems doing the former and properly watching and mimicking an instructor. I fought with this for almost a month and a half and so far I have been having amazing results. My memory has improved (I forget things I am asked to do less often), I'm less confused in conversations and I seem to confuse others less often, and I feel like maybe my tics are less intense.

What does all of this have to do with you? The literature that I am reading right now shows very large cognitive improvements associated with exercise like Tai-Chi.
http://well.blogs.nytimes.com/2011/11/3 ... the-brain/
This article focuses on general learning and memory, but lately there have been a lot of articles suggesting that there are many more motor/sensory connections than formerly realized in normal cognition.

"Tai Chi on psychological well-being: systematic review and meta-analysis"
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/20492638

What I am seeing in myself (and what I am hypothesizing is happening for me) is that lengthily, focused activity that involves complex attention-oriented body movements and instructions from a trainer is increasing the general complexity and strength of my cognitive processes. I am hoping that such is useful to you. I can't say for sure, but maybe a few months of this kind of exercise might enable you to perceive your premonitory urges, and let you gain more control over yourself.
FlutterPie
Consumer 0
Consumer 0

Return to Tourette's Syndrome Forum