Our partner

How many more sessions should I try

Therapy message board, open discussion, and online support

Moderator: Wally58

How many more sessions should I try

Postby iwantchocolate » Fri Jul 28, 2017 7:27 am

before deciding that a therapist is not for me. I have seen this one for three sessions. For the first time, I was late because I couldn't find the place, and he was outside talking (probably waiting for me) and was talking to other people for a long time so I had to stand there and wait and then after the other people left, he said "are you here to see a guy named... when I said "yeap" he answered that's me and he walked into his office and I followed him. The second was fine, then I had to cancel because my car broke down and I saw him again and he was in session when I got there and he came out with his client. The client was going on and on still telling him something and he just said wait for me in my office, so I walked and sat and waited a long time, that should have been my appointment. He just asks me about what I've been doing and gives me input, but I feel he is not gentle at all like what I need, and little details like the ones I mentioned in the beginning of this post just make me defensive so I feel I can not tell him things like I have sui tendencies. When he asked me how I was this last session, I said ok and he made this sarcastic smiley face and said "if you were fine, you wouldn't be here". Also, I am in a very bad financial situation and I still have to pay him the copay. I mean, he knows I'm eating out of food pantries, and it's hard for me to pay him. That kind of rubs me the wrong way. I also tend to have nightmares the night when I see him.

I know in the initial stage he is supposed to be gathering information, and maybe I should give him a longer try, but I don't know for how long. I feel tempted to contact another one closer to me, but I don't know if the insurance company would pay for both of them until I decide.

What do you guys think?
iwantchocolate
Consumer 0
Consumer 0

Local time: Thu Apr 18, 2024 7:28 pm
Blog: View Blog (0)

ADVERTISEMENT

Re: How many more sessions should I try

Postby Wally58 » Fri Jul 28, 2017 12:15 pm

Being late or missing appointments (through no fault of your own or because of extenuating circumstances) is bad form for any patient/therapist relationship, especially in the beginning.
He may see it as a lack of interest or disrespect. It messes up his schedule and is an annoyance for his busy workday. He loses money.
Some doctors and therapist groups will charge you for a missed appointment around here. They used to chalk it up as a loss, but are no longer willing to absorb the hit. Margins are getting that tight. Most ask for at least a 24-hour notice of cancellation if you are going to cancel.
Being late will mess up his subsequent appointments for the rest of the day. You really must try to be there and be there on time.
As for a working relationship with this therapist, it seems to be off to a rocky start and you should work towards a more friendly banter with him and be there on time.
Once you guys are meeting for regular sessions, things should smooth out and move forward. Sometimes it takes several sessions. Some sessions may go better than others. Some may seems like a waste of both of your times.
If it doesn't work out (and some patient/therapist relationships don't), then consider another therapist.
Best of luck to you. :)
We do NOT delete posts

Read the forum rules before posting here. If you are having any doubts about what you are posting, if you are thinking in the back of your mind, "I am going to want to delete this, or these details, later", remove those details, or step back and don't post until you are sure.
Wally58
Moderator: Consumer

Local time: Thu Apr 18, 2024 11:28 pm

Postby iwantchocolate » Fri Aug 04, 2017 7:00 am

Well, they end the appointment at the time it's supposed to end anyway. I cannnot help having an old car that broke down or being new in the area. I was only 5 minutes late anyway, I had to wait 10 more of him talking to the other people outside.

Anyway, I should have taken that as a warning. I'm always friendly and emphatic with everyone. This guy is having major countertransference with me or something. I went to another appointment today and I'm still crying after three hours! Total jerk! He didn't give me any feedback at all! and was again super-rude. Offered me an appt in two weeks instead of 1. Not good. I have a brain disorder and stress makes it worse. I've done therapy before and it was never like this. He knows I have a history of trauma and goes and treats me the same way?
iwantchocolate
Consumer 0
Consumer 0

Postby Wally58 » Fri Aug 04, 2017 2:45 pm

A single session may not be an accurate measure of how good or how bad a doctor/patient relationship will be as it unfolds. Remember that you are still in the early stages with him.
I have had sessions that ended with no relief for me either. I'm sorry that you seemed to have had a bad one. Sometimes it is nothing that you (or the therapist) have control over.
If the therapist is still trying to get to know you and fashion an individual recovery plan for you, you may not get results right away. More will be uncovered in the next few sessions and then things may move forward with a treatment plan.
Super-rude in what way? Did you mention that you really wanted a sooner appointment than 2 weeks? If a therapist knows that you are in a dire situation and the personal trauma is unbearable, then they may be able to make concessions for more frequent sessions.
If they feel that you are in danger of harming yourself or others, they may bump-up your next appointment or give you a resource for relief to fall-back on. They may even keep you and refer you on to more intensive treatment.
Are there any 12-step EA (or whatever your needs are) meetings in your area? Emotions Anonymous is a catch-all resource for people facing mental trauma and talking about it in a safe and anonymous environment and may help you feel better until you see the therapist again.
He may have a very intense workload scheduled. I would not take his putting your next appointment out 2 weeks as being personal. Ask for what you need.
Best of luck to you. :)
We do NOT delete posts

Read the forum rules before posting here. If you are having any doubts about what you are posting, if you are thinking in the back of your mind, "I am going to want to delete this, or these details, later", remove those details, or step back and don't post until you are sure.
Wally58

Postby iwantchocolate » Fri Aug 04, 2017 3:05 pm

Well, this is not a single session. I've been in therapy before, plus I have worked with therapists in the past. This just does not feel right. It keeps going from bad to worse and I'm stable now... He is not even trying to get to know me, he has his mind made up about me and if I say something trying to explain how something is for me or how I feel, that goes against that he makes a face. He is also cutting my appointments by 15 minutes one time because he just stayed outside talking to his earlier appt and last night again. I''ve been in therapy before and have worked for therapists, this is not ok. Last night was the fourth session and it just keeps going from bad to worse. I know his other appts keep cancelling up on him or not showing up. It's what someone says and then the nonverbals, tone of voice etc.
iwantchocolate
Consumer 0
Consumer 0

Postby Wally58 » Fri Aug 04, 2017 3:44 pm

You might want to consider EA or something with a local 12-step group. It is open and free and anonymous. There may be one within walking distance from you.
I did a 90-in-90 when I first started 12-stepping (AA). That was 90 meetings in 90 days. I needed the intensity early on and then adjusted down to 3 meetings a week to keep stable.
There is a 12-step group for almost anything imaginable and some that I probably haven't even heard of. Find your best fit:
https://sobernation.com/list-of-12-step-programs/
(I noticed that Procrastinators Anonymous doesn't have their website up yet. :mrgreen: )
Many members at these groups have had or currently are going to therapy. You may get a name of a good, recommended one in your area. In the meantime, keep trying to find a therapist that is worthwhile.
We do NOT delete posts

Wally58

Postby iwantchocolate » Thu Aug 10, 2017 6:51 am

I contacted another therapist and he got back to me. Supposedly he was going to text me the appt time for this Saturday on Monday and he has not contacted me. I'll wait to see if he does. If he does not I'll just try online therapy. I'm already tired that the search for a therapist seems to be harder than finding a life partner!
iwantchocolate
Consumer 0
Consumer 0

Postby salted lipstick » Tue Sep 12, 2017 3:45 pm

How did things go in the end? What ended up happening?
In a way, I am not defined by my dissociation. In a way, I am.

FORMER admin moderator. For current list please see: forum rules and list of active mods
salted lipstick
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Local time: Fri Apr 19, 2024 12:58 pm

Return to Therapy

• Related articles
    Replies
    Views
    Last post