Our partner

Xanax addiction?

Substance Abuse Disorders message board, open discussion, and online support group.

Moderator: Oliveira

Xanax addiction?

Postby Leslieslsa » Sat Jul 16, 2011 5:42 am

I had severe agoraphobia, and started taking Xanax back in December. Before I knew it, I was popping them like candy at night. Up to nine milligrams in one night. I am prescribed two. I tried to tell my psychiatrist I am addicted and he basically blew me off because I have BPD. He didn't even really tell me how to get off this stuff. I have heard withdrawal is terrible, and I experienced it one day when I forgot them at work. I was up all night sweating and shaking, I was nauseus, had a headache in one side of my head, and just felt like death. Plus I was anxious. How do I get off this stuff? I've gotten myself down to three milligrams recently, but what else can I do?
Bipolar, Anxiety, Borderline Personality disorder.
Leslieslsa
Consumer 5
Consumer 5

Local time: Thu Apr 17, 2014 9:25 pm
Blog: View Blog (0)

ADVERTISEMENT

Re: Xanax addiction?

Postby forgetthename » Thu Jul 28, 2011 2:46 am

Often times the best person to talk to is your doctor who prescribed you to the substance, depending on whether or not it is the therapist you were talking about. He doesn't sound very professional considering he blew you off like that. All too often I hear about professionals like this who can't even properly deal with a patient. It's ridiculous.
forgetthename
Consumer 0
Consumer 0

Postby Leslieslsa » Fri Jul 29, 2011 1:51 am

Well after all of this, he has denied to fill my refill for Xanax. So I have enough to last until Sunday, and I am going to admit myself to the psychiatric unit to get off of this stuff. I really have no other choices. He refuses to refill it early. I told him last time I was in there I was taking more than prescribed and I asked him how to get off of it. He replied shortly; Oh you just gradually decrease it. And that was all he said. So at this point I realize I cannot cut this stuff cold turkey. I have read it can cause anything up to death or seizures. Plus the whole original anxiety issue could return. So in the end, I realize I am going to have to do this inpatient. I can't work and detox from this stuff. My therapist agreed. Then the mental health center can help me find a new doctor.
Leslieslsa
Consumer 5
Consumer 5

Postby maddogmaddy » Fri Jul 29, 2011 2:00 am

Yeah detox and withdrawals can be awfully bad, and you'll surely want medical staff around just in case. It sounds like a new dr is in order....your current one doesn't sound helpful at all. I used to have a bit of a xanax problem myself, and eventually quit taking it all together. In place of that I started taking hydroxizine.....apparently it's an antihistamine, but it worked wonders for my anxiety. And it's non habit forming :) So maybe you could ask about that if you'd like.
Dx: Schizoaffective - Bipolar Type, Rapid Cycling
Fiance
Mother of three
Electrical Maintenance Student
Homemaker

Country music singin, cowboy boot wearin red-headed midwestern sweetheart <3
maddogmaddy
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Local time: Thu Apr 17, 2014 3:25 pm

Postby Leslieslsa » Sat Jul 30, 2011 3:53 am

Well I am hoping that whatever they give me works. That's for sure. I've reduced it a bit and have been having withdrawal symptoms. At the moment I feel like climbing up a wall. But then again sometimes I feel tired. I am anxious on and off and sweaty and such.
Leslieslsa
Consumer 5
Consumer 5

Postby zekesolady » Tue Sep 20, 2011 5:50 pm

I had a problem with Xanax over 10 years ago and it took me a year or so to realize what it was doing to me. I finally decided to stop taking it and the withdrawal is hard. I did have the occasional Ativan given to me by someone else but mostly just cold-turkey. The shakes in my neck were uncontrollable and very difficult to deal with and I would take whatever I could find but eventually I was prescribed Tranxene during a bout of bowel obstruction and depression. After taking that for a one month course, I felt completely freed of any craving for or withdrawal from the Xanax. I was able to move on without any medication after that point. I'm not sure why that particular medication seemed to do what I needed it to do and I didn't need a refill. I am currently going through some depression along with my grief for my deceased husband and I am considering asking my doc to prescribe me some Tranxene as I feel this could help me. Good luck to you. I hope you can overcome your attachment to Xanax as I definitely understand the problems it can cause.
zekesolady
Consumer 0
Consumer 0

Postby psyc148 » Fri Oct 07, 2011 3:20 pm

Yes, I have seen these problems first hand. I always wondered why my best friend was always so "happy" and care free. NOTHING bothered him, so I thought. I guess he is depressed and the only thing that makes him happy is Xanex. I used to be envious at how giving and easy going he was all the time, but now that I know its not natural, and he is actually depress and dependednt, I feel awful.
psyc148
Consumer 0
Consumer 0

Postby Leslieslsa » Tue Nov 01, 2011 4:03 pm

They switched me to Klonopin a few months back, but I've been abusing that as well. I don't know if withdrawal is as bad from that stuff, but I do need off of it. The only problem is that I do have legitimate anxiety issues that can have a tendency to make me housebound they are so bad. So I am a little nervous to quit the stuff. But I am thinking maybe I could get myself to where I only take it as needed. I know it is also a benzo, but I don't know how withdrawal is. So if anyone knows, please let me know. Thanks. :D
Leslieslsa
Consumer 5
Consumer 5

Postby Jaydon Rich » Sat Nov 12, 2011 2:16 pm

I've never really had a problem coming off drugs, but I've heard that benzos and heroin are comparable. Alchohol is by far the worst though, I've seen that withdrawal before and it looks so many times more painful than anything else. Xanax is the worst of the benzos to come off, then diazepam. Some of the others compare but the one you're on I've never taken or even heard of.

EDIT: Realised that is a brand name for clonazepam. Funny, it is the third hardest to come off in my opinion...
Hop up on my bed get my swag on, let them hater's keep on hating I do what I want, Cause I ain't doin nothin wrong, Just tryna have fun and keep this party jumpin, So what's up? Yeeeaaaaah :)
Jaydon Rich
Consumer 2
Consumer 2

Local time: Fri Apr 18, 2014 5:25 am

Postby NeeNee » Tue Feb 21, 2012 3:08 pm

Jaydon Rich wrote:I've never really had a problem coming off drugs, but I've heard that benzos and heroin are comparable. Alchohol is by far the worst though, I've seen that withdrawal before and it looks so many times more painful than anything else. Xanax is the worst of the benzos to come off, then diazepam. Some of the others compare but the one you're on I've never taken or even heard of.

EDIT: Realised that is a brand name for clonazepam. Funny, it is the third hardest to come off in my opinion...

I don't think one can really say what's "worse" because there are so many variables. However, withdrawal from any of the above (benzoes, heroin and alcohol) can be fatal. There also isn't a list of which benzoes are worse to come off, it depends on your own usage and brain chemistry; they are the same group of drug and work in very similar ways. The main difference is whether they have a milder but longer lasting effect versus a faster, stronger, shorter lasting effect.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_benzodiazepines

I'm not a medical professional but benzos act on the same neurotransmitters that valpro does, perhaps that could be used to help you come off them since it has some similar effects but is non-addictive?
NeeNee
Consumer 0
Consumer 0

Next

Return to Substance Abuse Disorders Forum

• Related articles
    Replies
    Views
    Last post