Our partner

Alcohol Binge causing major delusions/hallucinations??

Substance Abuse Disorders message board, open discussion, and online support group.

Moderator: Oliveira

Alcohol Binge causing major delusions/hallucinations??

Postby junglecircus » Fri Jul 31, 2009 8:39 pm

So I've realized I have a problem with Alcohol. I only drink once a month or once every couple of months but when I do I tend to binge with my girlfriends and have at least 10-20 drinks. One time I blacked out so bad in Vegas I left my friend at a club and can't remember the next 4 hours or so until we re-united.

This past saturday was the ultimate worst alcohol experience I've ever had. Me and my best friend of about 11 years spent the day boating and having fun. Around 1pm we started with having a few beers and ended up by around 9 or 10pm polishing off a twixer of vodka. She invited some friends over to her place. I completely blacked out and all I remember after that is punching her in the stomach (we've never had a fight in all the years we've been friends) and then sitting in the back of a cop car.

I wake up the next day to find out that around 1am I called my brother over ando ver (who lives in another city), 2 of my best friends and the cops, telling them all I was locked in a basement and crying histerically. The cops came to find out I was not locked in a basement I was just completely wasted. Apparently since my friend's landlady hid my shoes so I wouldn't try and leave in the state I was in, I thought I was locked in their house. So from the sounds of it I was majorly having delusions. I also told some of the people I called that there were so many guys locking me in (obviously a hallucination since there were only 3 guys there and one was the landlady's husband).

Anyways, I am 26 years old, I just finished school and I work in healthcare industry, I have an awesome life and I am normally a very calm (maybe slightly bitchy if someone messes with me) but all around a pretty stable person. Is this a sign of an underlying mental disease??

Anyone have any similar experiences? And any advice on what to do from here? I am feeling very embarrassed, confused and just plain scared of why this happened.
junglecircus
Consumer 0
Consumer 0

Local time: Wed Aug 20, 2014 10:23 pm
Blog: View Blog (0)

ADVERTISEMENT

Re: Alcohol Binge causing major delusions/hallucinations??

Postby Chucky » Fri Jul 31, 2009 9:09 pm

Hi,

It is not necessarily the sign of a mental problem... ...You could look at it as being the sign of a lack of self-control. I think that learning to say 'NO' would help you. Think about it: If someone offers you a drink, you feel like you must say 'yes', don't you? I was like that and I just hated the fact that I couldn't just say no to people. Okay, this might seem very basic to you, but please give it some thought. This is all about empowering yourself, and taking control of your own life.

Kevin
Chucky
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Postby generalissimo_h » Sun Aug 02, 2009 5:12 pm

i read your post and had to reply because i have had some similar experiences (though not as intense as yours). i got so wasted, i had no idea where i was. for some reason, i thought i was in an abandoned house with some friends, when in reality i was at someone's house for a halloween party. i needed to throw up, and since i thought it was abandoned, i just threw up on the floor. a friend told me later that i had to be carried to the bathroom and instead of using the toilet, i vomited about a foot away from it and curled up under the sink. i don't think you're delusional, just all of that alcohol made you confused. but this is definitely a sign that you are way over indulging. hope this helps!
generalissimo_h
Consumer 0
Consumer 0

Postby gamers1700 » Thu Aug 20, 2009 6:33 am

Umm...what they said! :lol:

If it was a disorder of sorts, a good way of knowing is if you are 'clutchy' or develop anxiety if you can't find/ruin a favorite item, or if you find that your heart races and you become slightly confused in terms of what to do in semi-terse situations (think stage fright). Also, another hint could be if you can't go for a reasonable stretch of time without a break, say a 6 day work week with proper breaks (unless it's above something like a standard workload or average full-time hours).
Of course, none of these on their own are enough to determine a disorder, and a personal diagnosis about anxiety disorders (or any for that matter) rarely should be taken to heart without conferring with a medical professional or expert in the field of concern unless you have valid reasonings of incompetence about the professional over their field of expertise, and after review are able to link any 'misinformation' (they try hard not to say anything until they're certain) to some sort of proof (like a reputable study, Chucky's done this with concerns of Asperger's, and I have seen signs supporting this as I am an Aspie myself). Of course, this is what second opinions in the medical community are for. Mind you I'm not a proffessional myself, but I have been through the system as a patient, and have experienced these signs to some agree...you can imagine how bummed I am that my laptop isn't working. :c
gamers1700
Consumer 5
Consumer 5

Local time: Wed Aug 20, 2014 5:23 pm

Postby funnywater » Mon Sep 28, 2009 12:09 pm

Your probably allergic to alcohol.

There are people out there such as my ex that are born alcoholic. It's not a bad thing. Basically, what determines whether or not you are an alcoholic is this: It's NOT how often you drink (you said you don't drink often if at all), nor is it what you drink but it's all about HOW alcohol affects YOU.

My ex would get delusional on alcohol. He, too, was a serious binge drinker and would wind up hurt or in jail damn every time he drank. Fortunately, he's in recovery now.
funnywater
Consumer 0
Consumer 0

Local time: Wed Aug 20, 2014 4:23 pm

Postby Chucky » Mon Sep 28, 2009 8:29 pm

I don't think there's ever been a case of someone being allergic to alcohol. The actual alcohol molecule is just too small to trigger an allergic reaction. What you mean is that he's just more susceptible to the effects of alccohol?; which would make mire sense. If someone hasn't drunk for a long time, then alcohol will be quite potent at 'taking them down', but if you drink casually long term, then you're body will have 'tuned' to alcohol and it's effects won't be that potent.
Chucky
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Postby Levingston » Mon May 03, 2010 9:54 am

*Edited by admin - Chucky
*Edited by admin - Chucky
Levingston
Consumer 0
Consumer 0

Postby Chucky » Mon May 03, 2010 8:19 pm

Thank you for spamming, Levingston. You're banned.

Kevin
psychforums.com rules:
http://www.psychforums.com/forum-rules.php

Please send me a private message if you need help with anything.
Chucky
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Return to Substance Abuse Disorders Forum

• Related articles
    Replies
    Views
    Last post