Our partner

My stutter is ruining my life

Stuttering message board, open discussion, and online support group.

My stutter is ruining my life

Postby maybuu » Tue Sep 06, 2016 1:44 pm

I've had a mild/moderate stutter since year 3. I am now 20 years old and before it never bothered me that badly it was just embarrassing, but now it's crippling because I have so many negative feelings towards it. Lately, I've been having bouts of anxiety and depression and a major factor to all my fears, negative thoughts anger is towards my stutter and how I feel defeated. Tbh I'm not sure if the issue is the anxiety/depression or the stutter itself. I'm crying every day, I'm full of fear and have lost energy to do anything. I'm currently looking to change jobs and I find myself constantly skipping interviews and making excuses because I'm so crippled by my feelings. It's come to a point where I want to go to sleep and not wake up. At first I thought it was PMS but clearly, I've figured out that it's not. :mrgreen:

I'm not completely a rain cloud of doom, I have days where I feel happy or content but those days have become fewer and with an upcoming event like job interviews, I find it difficult to get through the day. I don't know anyone who stutters, nobody in my family has this problem so nobody really understands, so it is very lonely when dealing with it. My family doesn't understand why I can't make a stupid phone call without freaking out. I wish I could face my fears but the emotional feelings are truly crippling. Even writing this I'm feeling like I can't breathe and it's making me want to cry my eyes out. I truly want this pain to end.
maybuu
Consumer 0
Consumer 0

Local time: Tue Mar 19, 2024 3:21 am
Blog: View Blog (0)

ADVERTISEMENT

Re: My stutter is ruining my life

Postby serpand » Wed Nov 29, 2017 12:42 am

My advice find a way to express yourself, like playing an instrument or drawing. This is very important, by doing so you may objectively observe the problems you have, once you get them outside. Also it relieves stress associated with anxiety and depression. Your stutter probably gets worst when you are depressed or euphoric. Got to find a Zen like attitude, when possible meditate for a while to train this. When I focus like that I can control it to a certain point. Don't dwell on what others feel when you sttuter , or image people commenting about it, that will increase it.
serpand
Consumer 4
Consumer 4

Local time: Tue Mar 19, 2024 3:21 am
Blog: View Blog (0)

Return to Stuttering Forum

• Related articles
    Replies
    Views
    Last post