Our partner

My experience with stuttering, what helped me, and support

Stuttering message board, open discussion, and online support group.

My experience with stuttering, what helped me, and support

Postby cottonwhisper » Wed Jul 06, 2016 3:27 am

So, when I was sixteen I started stuttering bad. It was difficult for me to form words without stumbling through every word I said. I couldn't say anything without my words getting cut off and having to keep starting over. It slowly stopped over the years. Here's somethings that helped me. I practiced speaking alone. Yes, it can feel a little humiliating, but it helps. If you can't think of something to say, try reading a book out loud or singing. I also took a moment to slow down my speech and calm down. I would step away discreetly and count to myself until I felt calm. Being calm helped me slow down when talking and form words better. When I got nervous it was worse. Take a moment and think of a good memory or something that makes you happy. Think yourself into a good mood if you can. It always felt like I had people laughing and looking down on me, and it scared me into stuttering worse. Trust me, half of them haven't noticed and if they do they aren't thinking negatively of you. Just keep your head up and don't give up. I never stutter now. You wouldn't even know I ever did.
cottonwhisper
Consumer 0
Consumer 0

Local time: Thu Apr 18, 2024 7:14 am
Blog: View Blog (0)

ADVERTISEMENT

Return to Stuttering Forum

• Related articles
    Replies
    Views
    Last post