Our partner

I'm truly afraid of dark (fear of dark), any help?

Specific Phobias message board, open discussion, and online support group.

I'm truly afraid of dark (fear of dark), any help?

Postby jack0427 » Mon Jun 25, 2007 5:56 am

Hi everyone, my name is Jack and I'm 22 years old. For some reason I'm truly fear of dark.

I'm truly afraid of dark. Whenever I sleep alone, I sleep with all the lights on. It's not just a little night light, but majority of the lights in the apartment has to be on. Otherwise I couldn't sleep.

For some reason, when it's night time, I'm afraid. When I lay in my bed in the dark, I have fearful thoughts. All the alines, ghost stories, bloody scary movies comes into my mind. My heart starts pumping fast, my hand starts to sweat, and I became really really afraid. I know it sounds funny and stupid, but I just can't sleep in the dark. (I can sleep in the daytime, and not being afraid.) No matter how tired I was, I just can't sleep in the dark. Because of this, I no longer watch any tv shows that's relates to alien sighting, murder stories, or anything graphic topics.

However, if there was somebody else in the apartment, I can sleep in the dark. (ex, some friend sleep on the couch.) I still have hard time to get to sleep, but I wouldn't be as afraid when I'm sleeping alone.

I could watch any scary movie or graphic tv show and not have any feeling in the daytime. But at night, these images comes into my mind and scares the crap out of me.

I know some kids can't sleep at night because of "monster in the closet." But I"m an adult, and this are images in my mind.
I really didn't have this kind of problem when I was a kid. It developed over the last 2 or 3 years.
How do I fix this? Why am I so fearful of dark? :oops:
jack0427
Consumer 0
Consumer 0

Local time: Sun Sep 21, 2014 8:06 am
Blog: View Blog (0)

ADVERTISEMENT

Postby musicandscience » Sun Jul 01, 2007 8:14 am

Hey Jack,

I'm Sarah. And I have a fear of dark as well. But not to the extent of yours.

I'm no psychologist, but my best guess as to why you're afraid is a bad experience when you were younger. I'm scared of the dark when there are windows around, so it's more a phobia of night, and I know it's because when I was younger I saw my uncle's reflection in a window at night but thought he was some crazy madman.

How to fix it? I suggest you talk to a psychologist pronto. They really do help if you keep an open mind about the visit.

I love really freaky movies (not really horror, just thriller) but I only watch them during the day. I can't watch them at night without having a panic attack.

I hope everything goes well for you, good luck. It's a bit of a cliche, but a true one at that: you're not alone.
musicandscience
Consumer 5
Consumer 5

Local time: Sun Sep 21, 2014 6:06 pm

Postby owly » Wed Jul 11, 2007 3:27 pm

hi jack,

doesn't sound like a phobia.

i'm also afraid of the dark - like many others with ptsd or borderline.

mine is because i start hallucinating - particularly when i go to sleep or wake. like you, it's aliens, ghosts etc... sometimes i just see shadows or shapes.

this is a recreation of a trauma in my past.

i sleep with lights on. but when someone else is in the bed with me, i don't need a light.

sometimes - once a year maybe... i might be able to sleep with the blind open, just the street light coming through.

hope this helps
owly
Consumer 1
Consumer 1

Local time: Sun Sep 21, 2014 6:06 pm

Return to Specific Phobias

• Related articles
    Replies
    Views
    Last post