Our partner

Is there some sort of (legal) herbal medication to relive st

Social Phobia message board, open discussion, and online support group.

Moderator: EarlGreyDregs

Re: Is there some sort of (legal) herbal medication to reliv

Postby EtherealStarlight » Tue Jan 31, 2012 1:46 am

i've tried valerian root, and it helps me a fair amount. i've heard st. john's wort helps too.
It's my party, I'll look bored if I want to. >8(
EtherealStarlight
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Local time: Sat Apr 19, 2014 1:39 am
Blog: View Blog (0)

ADVERTISEMENT

Postby Voks » Fri Feb 03, 2012 12:54 am

Agreed with the above replies, I hear St. John's Wort is good although I've never tried it myself. My aunty had a serious operation a few years ago and went through severe depression for a while, and she said it helped quite a bit.

I would never use drugs such as marijuana or weed, but I do take simple De-Stress herbal tablets - I believe they contain hops, valerian root and passion flower. I also use Rescue Remedy before stressful situations - a party, get-together, interview, exam, etc. It really does help.

~~ Voks
- Social Phobia
- Dermatophagia/Dermatillomania
- Depression
- "Black and white thinking"/"splitting"
- Lack of trust in self and others

"Take a chance, don't look back, 'cause time is running out. I'm in a trance with things I lack, but don't have any doubt."
Voks
Consumer 3
Consumer 3

Local time: Sat Apr 19, 2014 6:39 am
Blog: View Blog (4)

Postby MrMental » Fri Feb 03, 2012 4:53 am

I feel for you, and your problem. However, i see a lot of "i can't" and "It's out of my control" and "There's nothing i can do" statements in your post. So, regardless of what you have tried, i think you didn't truly believe any of those "rituals" would work, which is why they haven't. By constantly reminding and making statements like that you are, commonly thought to be by all, expressing a fact. "This isn't working" usually cannot be misinterpreted. And telling yourself that you "can't handle something" or "it doesnt work" or "I cant" merely sets you up to fail before you even start. "I think, Therefore I am" LITERALLY means EXACTLY what is being said, no hidden meaning or philosophy degree required. We are our habits.

And there is the problem in a nutshell. Your fragile ego assumes these supposed "truths" that you pelt it with daily, i'm sure. So when you proclaim over and over again "I can't handle being in this social situation" over and over again, you are setting a limit to what you can and CANNOT do. I'll ask you this. If you CANNOT stand being in a social situation like that, what will happen to you if you stay? Will you die? Will life end as we all know it? Is that why you possibly extremely cannot be in social situations? Because it will cause the rapture if it happens?

What if, you fell asleep and a giant party took place around you. You don't wake up. Parties over, everyone/thing is gone, and you wake up oblivious to the fact a massive social gathering occurred. How would life be different for you? Would you have suffered greatly in your sleep for being in a social gathering? No.

I do not mean to make light of your issue, I know how painful and lonely Anxiety disorders can make someone. But jumping to drugs after not even being diagnosed by a proper health care professional with proper tests? What about therapy options? Why hasn't anyone in these forums suggested a non-drug therapy?

I want you to think of going to get mental health help the same as getting physical health help from your GP. Things like Depression and Schizophrenia are just as real disease as cancer or anemia. You are sick, it is interfering with the quality of life you are/want to be living. It is causing unnecessary hardship to your life. Seek help. It is the intelligent thing to do.

I think you are asking the wrong questions. You need to realize, and life will be much more rewarding when you do realize this, is that everyone is a nervous, worrying wreck that doesn't know what they want to do and are constantly screwing up, and we are constantly afraid of being thought less of in social gatherings that are important to our ego. We don't know what we have till we lose it, we are constantly thinking ourselves more clever than we truly are, we forget, we cry, we suffer (sometimes for years at a time), we laugh, we welcome, we all hate, we all have irrational fears, almost half of us in our lifetime will suffer from some type of mental health disorder, diagnosed or undiagnosed, possibly without ever knowing we had something like that. We all get rejected by that cute member of that opposite sex, we all get humiliated, we all have let people close to us down, we all have blew it when we needed to be The Man. We all everything.

You aren't alone or excluded from all of us. You aren't different in any way that would cause you to have this irrational fear. Trust yourself. The only difference between us and you, is that we realize $#%^ happens.

Final thought: It is better to be master of your mind, than mastered by your mind. I want you to re-read these lines ten times and take for it as literal and word for word meaning as you possibly can, with no hidden meaning or slight involved whatsoever:

If you tell yourself you can do something, something you set your mind to and have faith in yourself that you can do it, you will accomplish it. Steel your resolve, do not give up, and it's yours.

Classic volumes of some of philosophies greatest minds all have written about the strength of perseverance. Water, continually dripping, will wear a hard rock hollow. Believe something will work, and working hard for it are the only ways to get or do anything you need. Success after success after thinking like this will breed confidence, happiness, relationship success, everything you set your mind to. If you tell yourself you can't, don't bother trying, cuz you wont.
MrMental
Consumer 0
Consumer 0

Local time: Sat Apr 19, 2014 12:39 am

Postby Asaboy » Sun Mar 18, 2012 1:47 am

I know the following can be made into teas that help reduce anxiety; american passion flower, catnip, lemon balm, sage, st john’s wort and vervain. If you make an infusion from the fresh herbs the effects can be quite calming.

And for me smoking marijuana = instant panic
Asaboy
Consumer 3
Consumer 3

Local time: Sat Apr 19, 2014 1:39 am

Postby KLWizard » Sat Apr 14, 2012 10:12 am

Have you tried consuming foods/supplements containing Tryptophan? It is supposed to have a calming effect, something about turkey dinner. I'm going to try it soon.

My whole body becomes stiff as a board from new social interactions in addition to everything you mentioned. It wears off with a good night sleep.

Of course you could always use a friend/family member and practice the same lines for your desired situation over and over, not sure if you've done that or not. Have the person act weird, reject you, etc. Maybe it will help.
---
I don't chat in forums much, so may not be back soon.
Meds
Yay, no more meds!
Self Treatment
Concentration: Focus Factor
Weak Immune System: Oregano Oil & Probiotics, EGCG
Stress: Turmeric, Cinnamon, Ginger (in hot tea or chocolate)
Arthritis: CosaminDS, Coconut Oil (rubbed in), daily walks
KLWizard
Consumer 3
Consumer 3

Local time: Fri Apr 18, 2014 10:39 pm

Previous

Return to Social Phobia Forum

• Related articles
    Replies
    Views
    Last post