Our partner

Chatroulette

Social Phobia message board, open discussion, and online support group.

Moderator: Snaga

Chatroulette

Postby 21st_c_SchizoidMan » Sun Oct 17, 2010 10:49 am

I don't have social phobia, or clinical social anxiety. Though I do get some form of social anxiety. Chatroulette brings a lot of those up. I think this will be a good way to desensitize to these impulses from the comfort of my seat. Just sitting, not even saying anything. Knowing I'm being watched, watching them watch me. I'm even getting those feelings as I'm typing this, because I know it's running. Is this relevant to you guys at all, and if so, what do you think? :)
Dreaming in exile.
21st_c_SchizoidMan
Consumer 5
Consumer 5

Local time: Fri Apr 19, 2024 5:02 am
Blog: View Blog (0)

ADVERTISEMENT

Re: Chatroulette

Postby EYPICSYL » Sun Oct 17, 2010 12:01 pm

Is that an online site with webcams? i havent heard of it in that sense.I can guess you are switched to another person every now and again.But not sure if you mean online or like speed dating type thing where you go out and meet lots of people.
It sounds like an interestng way for people to learn about themselves.
Im pretty shy but didnt sem to have any trouble with camfrog years ago when i used it.
I think its something i have built up in my mind about social situations,im not sure yet where it came from.I have a few ideas.
But i am quite used to online banter and not afaid of sharing a webcam with stranger.I think because its amutual thing and i have the option to say i need to go now if i dont wish to talk.
In a physical meeting of minds i am ultra sensitive to what the other person is feeling and thinking especially in relation to me interacting with them.Its like im afraid to disturb people until im sure they dont mind.And when someone is looking at me from behind a shop till,i feel very self conscious about my teeth i guess.I wonder if i could afford to get that gap fixed would i be more open ^^
Depressed,confused,anxious? Maybe a solution is here --> http://www.psychforums.com/depression/topic53818.html
EYPICSYL
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Local time: Fri Apr 19, 2024 12:02 pm

Postby Takisha » Tue Nov 09, 2010 5:02 am

Hello. I'm new to this site, and I just read your comments. I have been experiencing some form of social phobia/anxiety on and off for a while now. I recently went into a chat site, as I thought it may be a good way to practise having conversations with people without the stress of the physical side of things ie. eye contact., and also like Eypicsyl said, you can leave whenever you want, and you know if other people stay, it's because they want to, not have to. It went really well at first, and I was chatting to a few really nice people. Then all of a sudden one of them asked if I wanted to hook up via webcam. I said I was happy just chatting, and that i didn't have my webcam hooked up, but they said they'd just hook theirs up. So I figured that wouldn't be so bad, and accepted....then the screen came up and i was trying to work out what the image was (it was dark) and all too late i realised it was a rather big guy's 'thing' and he was...i can't even type it, it was so horrible! I haven't been able to get the image out of my mind, and i'm scared to go anywhere near chat sites again. I'm sorry if this is totally irrelevent but i just felt the need to tell someone in the hope that maybe it gets out of my head.

Also, Eypicsyl, have i read it right, that you have a gap in your teeth that you're self-conscious about? Have you seen that this is apparently the latest trend/fad? Models are increasingly being sought after because they have a gap. And some people are even paying huge amounts of money to get a gap put into what used to be defined as perfect teeth. Just thought it might give you a little boost..and save you some money. :)
Last edited by Takisha on Wed Nov 10, 2010 3:13 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Takisha
Consumer 0
Consumer 0

Local time: Fri Apr 19, 2024 11:02 pm

Postby 21st_c_SchizoidMan » Tue Nov 09, 2010 5:09 am

Takisha: Chatroulette is notorious for that. One person jokingly threatened to report me for -not- showing my penis. :)
Dreaming in exile.
21st_c_SchizoidMan
Consumer 5
Consumer 5

Local time: Fri Apr 19, 2024 5:02 am

Postby Takisha » Tue Nov 09, 2010 5:21 am

Wow! That was quick. I wasn't on chatroulette, i can't even remember what site it was. I was hoping there were some chat sites that aren't like that, but perhaps it's a male thing? Though you may be one of the few who aren't like that. Thank you for restoring some of my faith in the male species, as it rattled me a little.
Takisha
Consumer 0
Consumer 0

Local time: Fri Apr 19, 2024 11:02 pm

Postby Twinkling Butterfly » Thu Dec 02, 2010 3:31 pm

It gets worse. (LINK REMOVED)

Makes me wonder how much more these sickos are capable of. If you want an antidote, here's a comic making fun of chatroulette trolling. (Don't worry; it's clean.) It might make more sense if you read this explanation first. Anyway, hope that makes you laugh and not feel worse.

My point: be careful with those webcams, 'kay? ;)
Twinkling Butterfly
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Local time: Fri Apr 19, 2024 12:02 pm

Return to Social Phobia Forum