Our partner

which antidepressant is the best for social anxiety?

Social Phobia message board, open discussion, and online support group.

which antidepressant is the best for social anxiety?

Postby d-vade » Fri Nov 16, 2007 8:24 pm

just curious which antideprressant is the best for social anxiety?
d-vade
Consumer 5
Consumer 5

Local time: Sat Dec 20, 2014 12:18 pm
Blog: View Blog (0)

ADVERTISEMENT

Postby somebody » Sat Nov 17, 2007 6:52 pm

Hi there my friend!

Prozac or Paxil may help you.

But honestly, you should aim for full 100% recovery when it comes to social anxiety. You can try nature's solutions that are very powerful, like Saint John's Wort or/and a combination of Vallerian and Passion flower (nature's answer to tranquilisers).

Social anxiety is plagued with erroneous beliefs and coupled with a low self esteem. As a matter of fact having a healthy self esteem and social anxiety would be a paradox.

Behavioural therapy is the must (this is easy, to make a long story short, just go Live your Life, engage in activities, be the master of your own destiny, study and/or work, have social relationships etc at the beginning it will cause you stress but eventually social anxiety will have no option but to go away).

Working towards a healthy self esteem is your next best buddy.

Then, use one of the following suggestions:

Repeat to youself whenever you feel anxiety:

1) It doesn't matter if others look at me, It doesn't matter if others judge me, It doesn't matter matter what others think of me.

2) There isn't one way or another correct of doing something, they are all the same.

Note: Obviously, use your common sense here to see if your way of doing things is actually socially acceptable (e.g. jumping around while you paying the cashier at a store is not really socially acceptable in social norm terms, although jumping around at home is all right if you enjoy it or of course your way of doing things is not illegal).

3) I love who I am, no matter what (this helps improving self acceptance, which in turn helps improving self confidence that is a part of self esteem)

or use sublimation (e.g. when you feel anxiety do some progressive muscle relaxation or exercise e.g. if you are at home)

or meditation.

Cognitive therapy is a good add on, as it will teach you how to actually think more rationally thus eliminating unnessessary stress and anxieties (anxiety is a fear of something that can happen in the future and is considered ill, unless of course you do live in very exceptional life situations with real constant danger, which is probably not the case with you).

Also, a good suggestion I could give is to learn when you actually have social anxiety and when your body simply enters anxiety because of unfamiliar people or places (as a result of an unfamiliar situation, which is normal).

There is also a strong nutrional aspect in anxieties. Often people with anxieties tend to be hypoglycemic (be sure to eat your slices of bread daily!). A multi amino acids formula is also guarranted to provide you with nutrients like Tryptophan and Tyrosine that help your body to make its serotonin naturally (be sure to get about 1 gram per kg of body weight a day). Exercise also does wonders for anxiety (and depression). This paragraph really expains you some basics of how to beat social anxiety the other way around, instead of trying to cure the symptoms you try to eliminate the cause, I personally suggest both.
Disclaimer: I am not a mental health professional or other health professional. I provide my opinion for informational purposes and cannot be held responsible for any decisions readers of my post make. Always consult a trained health professional before making any decision regarding treatment of yourself or others.
somebody
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Local time: Sat Dec 20, 2014 12:18 pm

Postby Butterfly Faerie » Sat Nov 17, 2007 7:44 pm

Medication affects everyone differently so really there is not one set drug for everyone.

What i'm currently on has worked wonders, Effexor XR, but people also have had issues with it.

Other meds that helped for me was Zoloft... amoung some others.

It's hit and miss, the best thing to do is to talk to your doctor to discuss your options.

Good luck.
Butterfly Faerie
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Local time: Sat Dec 20, 2014 8:18 am

Return to Social Phobia Forum

• Related articles
    Replies
    Views
    Last post