Our partner

Shy or social phobia?

Social Phobia message board, open discussion, and online support group.

Moderator: Snaga

Shy or social phobia?

Postby Jelly Beans » Sun May 25, 2014 6:24 pm

I don't like people. I don't like being around them. It is getting harder to go to work. I don't want people other than my close family in my house and I don't like going to other people's houses. If I have to phone someone I have to have my partner do it on my behalf. It is getting unbearable.
I am so terrified of saying or doing the wrong thing. I am worried that I will upset someone. I get so panicked around people. My palms get sweaty, I get palpitaions. I am calmest when I am on my own, I can't relax around people other than my partner and child.
Am I just really shy or is this social phobia?
Jelly Beans
Consumer 0
Consumer 0

Local time: Fri Apr 19, 2024 2:45 pm
Blog: View Blog (0)

ADVERTISEMENT

Re: Shy or social phobia?

Postby lilyfairy » Sun Jun 01, 2014 12:11 pm

Hi Jelly Beans

I'm not sure if it's just shyness or social phobia- no-one here can diagnose you, but it sounds like you've got a lot of anxiety going on, which is really horrible to have to deal with. I go through similar things in dealing with other people too- and there are certain people I feel safe around as well.

Have you ever talked to or thought about talking to someone in 3D about your anxiety at all?

Take care
Lily
First rule of mental health: Learn to distinguish who deserves an explanation, who deserves only one answer, and who deserves absolutely nothing.

Forum Rules

Whatever you're doing today, do it with the confidence of a four-year-old in a Batman t-shirt.
lilyfairy
Site Admin

Local time: Sat Apr 20, 2024 12:45 am

Postby Kind1 » Sun Jun 08, 2014 10:26 pm

I'm not a psychiatrist or anything but to me it seems like a social phobia. I too don't like being around anyone but my boyfriend. This may sound weird but not even family really, I'm use to them, grew up with them, I LOVE them, but still feel this awkwardness and tension around them as if they are lo key judging me. I don't like going to the market cus there's too many ppl in one little space and I feel like all eyes are on me, always feel a little paranoid that some are looking down on me and judging my looks even tho I'm not actually seeing it. I mean sometimes here and there u might see someone eyeing u with a serious look which makes me wanna say ''YOU GOT A STARING PROBLEM???' I tend to often feel like an outcast in social situations, the feeling that they wanna talk to everyone but me, cus I'm not interesting and am quiet. Then I start to feel annoyed and impatient due not feeling like standing around chatting with these losers. Sometimes I think to myself that this world is messed up, full of selfish, outspoken, judgmental and inconsiderate nobodies...
Kind1
Consumer 0
Consumer 0

Local time: Fri Apr 19, 2024 6:45 am

Postby klynn » Sun Sep 21, 2014 5:30 pm

well this explains my issue. i have a phobia to be around people. i thought it was just cause people are stupid and i have a fear of touch anyways but i hate being around anyone. i am extremely shy but if someone initiates talking to me i will talk but i will not butt in the middle and include myself and the people that do that bug the hell out of me. I have been called the B* word because i don't interact and don't want to go out to lunch or after work with classmates/coworkers. i hate people and i automatically assume everyone will hate me. i warned my boyfriend of my tendencies and he said i was fine. one year later he's decided i'm a b* too. i'm just shy and i don't want to sound like an idiot every time i open my mouth. i think of what i'm saying while i'm saying it which really makes me twist my words and loose what i'm even saying and now he thinks i'm really stupid. I don't know what to do anymore and often find my self fantasizing about my death or driving by a cemetery and automatically thinking "they are so lucky". seriously don't know what to do anymore
klynn
Consumer 0
Consumer 0

Local time: Fri Apr 19, 2024 9:45 am

Postby lilyfairy » Tue Sep 23, 2014 1:32 pm

klynn, have you ever thought about seeking out some help from someone like a therapist before? You sound like you could use some extra support.

I have had people think that I am being rude by avoiding those sort of situations too- it's very hard and I also overthink things before saying them out loud too- so it sometimes comes out a bit of a jumble and not what I actually meant.

Please keep yourself safe- things can get better.

Take care
Lily
First rule of mental health: Learn to distinguish who deserves an explanation, who deserves only one answer, and who deserves absolutely nothing.

Forum Rules

Whatever you're doing today, do it with the confidence of a four-year-old in a Batman t-shirt.
lilyfairy
Site Admin

Postby klynn » Tue Sep 23, 2014 8:31 pm

lilyfairy ... i don't think before i speak i think while i'm speaking. it's easier for me to communicate through email or some kind of text it helps keep my thoughts straight and i don't start wondering why their body language is the way it is when i'm face to face. When i was a child my father through me to therapist after therapist and i found that if i didn't talk they couldn't help me. I don't like therapist because my dad through me at them, i think of this forum as my therapy. after searching here and talking a little bit i have mental felt better and actually feel kinda sane knowing that what i was having an issue with is an actual disease and can be, so to speak, a birth defect but i did have some things that helped of the years to contribute to my issues.
klynn
Consumer 0
Consumer 0

Postby lilyfairy » Wed Sep 24, 2014 12:43 pm

I find the understanding of the other forum users very helpful too. And knowing I'm not alone.

I understand your reluctance about seeing a therapist- I was much the same for (quite) a while and had to decide when I was ready to seek help. I still find it difficult to say things out loud and will write things in a letter to my therapist and email him each week, and we then go over the issues. I find it much easier to bring things up.

If writing helps get things out, then go for it!

Take care
Lily

Forum Rules

lilyfairy
Site Admin

Postby klynn » Thu Sep 25, 2014 8:22 pm

Thanks lilyfairy. if it wasn't for the money issue i might think about seeing one. i use to write ALL the time and talk to my RIP mom and that helped to but haven't done either in about 3 years.
klynn
Consumer 0
Consumer 0

Postby hockey_fan_101 » Thu Sep 25, 2014 10:09 pm

I would advise you to see your doctor and ask him about this, as anxiety issues and even social anxiety are treatable in most caes.
hockey_fan_101
Consumer 0
Consumer 0

Local time: Fri Apr 19, 2024 6:45 am

Postby lilyfairy » Wed Oct 01, 2014 2:16 pm

Perhaps it would be a good time to start writing again? And I think if talking to your mum helps then that's ok too.

Are there any options available in your area for free or subsidised therapy?

Take care
Lily

Forum Rules

lilyfairy
Site Admin

Return to Social Phobia Forum

• Related articles
    Replies
    Views
    Last post