Our partner

Any advice to a Christian who wants to stop masturbating?

Sexual Addiction message board, open discussion, and online support group.

Moderator: Ada

Any advice to a Christian who wants to stop masturbating?

Postby Aegis_Bulwark » Fri Jul 01, 2011 8:13 am

So, yeah. I gave my life to God around two years ago. Three years ago I started masturbating, because I was curious what was so great about it. Around that time I also go hooked on porn, because some classmates of mine had me look up some stuff online, and you can figure it out from there. I really want to kick the habit; I've been trying since I realized I was hooked. Masturbation and porn are getting in the way of my relationship with God, and also it wouldn't really set a good example for the congregation of God's people. The power of the cross is real to me, and I constantly look to Jesus for the forgiveness of all of my sins, but I feel like I'm fighting a losing battle here. Does anyone have any suggestions or encouragements or anything to help me?
Your frightened brother in Christ,
Aegis_Bulwark
Aegis_Bulwark
Consumer 0
Consumer 0
 
Posts: 4
Joined: Fri Jul 01, 2011 8:02 am
Local time: Mon Sep 01, 2014 1:29 am
Blog: View Blog (0)


ADVERTISEMENT

Re: Any advice to a Christian who wants to stop masturbating

Postby FrankCrosbyPsyD » Fri Jul 01, 2011 2:21 pm

There is a free interactive internet course you can enroll in to break a porn addiction.Here is the link:

http://www.settingcaptivesfree.com/cour ... of-purity/
"By their fruits you shall know them"
User avatar
FrankCrosbyPsyD
Consumer 0
Consumer 0
 
Posts: 15
Joined: Sun Apr 24, 2011 1:37 am
Local time: Mon Sep 01, 2014 2:29 am
Blog: View Blog (0)

Re: Any advice to a Christian who wants to stop masturbating

Postby Hallusinating » Fri Jul 01, 2011 4:24 pm

Aegis_Bulwark wrote:Three years ago I started masturbating, because I was curious what was so great about it. Around that time I also go hooked on porn, because some classmates of mine had me look up some stuff online, and you can figure it out from there. I really want to kick the habit



Hi! Being a woman and an elder person with experiences i wanted to answer your question/topic/thread.

I have had some men in my life who were addicted to porn so i speak out of listening to them.

One man told me that it was like "anti depressants" for him.
I think there is a difference between doing it while you are in a relationship with a woman and doing it when you are alone.

In my opinion you shouldn`t be ashamed of touching your manly hood that way.
For me it seems like you have made some impossible rules to live up to.
Do you feel like you get some sort of "approval" for NOT masturbating?
To my ears that sounds strange(and dumb).
For men masturbating is like breathing.
I am not trying to say how i think you should live your life, i am only saying what my opinion is.
I think its sad that you are ashamed of feeling pleasantry of something that is your birth right to feel.
User avatar
Hallusinating
Consumer 6
Consumer 6
 
Posts: 495
Joined: Fri Dec 24, 2010 8:17 pm
Local time: Mon Sep 01, 2014 7:29 am
Blog: View Blog (110)

Re: Any advice to a Christian who wants to stop masturbating

Postby Aegis_Bulwark » Fri Jul 01, 2011 6:16 pm

Thank you for the material, Frank, and, Hallusinating, thank you for your point of view, but I really don't want this lording over my life. I was told I don't have to live with this, and I don't want to. I don't like it. It get's in the way, and I just don't think it's God pleasing either. Sure, God doesn't love me any less, but I'd rather express my freedom as a Christian to stop this, and live a life that He wants me to live, rather selfishly giving in to my own desires.
Aegis_Bulwark
Consumer 0
Consumer 0
 
Posts: 4
Joined: Fri Jul 01, 2011 8:02 am
Local time: Mon Sep 01, 2014 1:29 am
Blog: View Blog (0)

Re: Any advice to a Christian who wants to stop masturbating

Postby Hallusinating » Sun Jul 03, 2011 5:00 pm

Aegis_Bulwark wrote:Sure, God doesn't love me any less, but I'd rather express my freedom as a Christian to stop this, and live a life that He wants me to live, rather selfishly giving in to my own desires.


Like you say you can choose.

You started of this thread by saying you wanted to stop masturbating:
Aegis_Bulwark wrote:Masturbation and porn are getting in the way of my relationship with God, and also it wouldn't really set a good example for the congregation of God's people.


I disagree that it wouldn`t set a good example to the congregation of God`s people.
First of all because its none of their business what you do behind close doors and second because its nonsense.
If your body needs to masturbate then there is a deeper psychological and biological reason for it. What are you going to do? Ignore that you are a man?
What kind of a freedom is that?

As long as you stick to the law i don`t care. There are some limits/rules/boarders for what a man can do and not, those are masturbating to a children`s photograph(child pornography), raping someone and doing it in public.
As long as you don`t do these things above you should be safe and have a clear, healthy mind about your own sexuality.
I would have understood your feelings better if this was about you being addicted and having a partner at the same time, and then this getting in the way for your sexual relationship with him/her.
Then its a totally different scenario.
Being attracted to someone sexually is NOT a sin!
Having arousal feelings is NOT a sin!
Touching yourself is NOT a sin!
ANYONE who tells you differently should have a bun and eat that instead.

I remember there was a priest many years ago who was totally AGAINST homosexuality, he would go on parades with posters and have a public opinion of being totally against it.
After a few years of insulting everybody who was gay he finally came out of the closet when his partner threatened to tell everybody that he was gay.

The moral here is that a priest can say to you that masturbation is bad for your Christianity and then go and have a "wank off" in his office later.
That is how natural this feeling is! Nobody can stop it because you aren`t meant to stop it. You are a man and you are supposed to masturbate, if you don`t do it then something is wrong with you.

You should be happy that you have the ability to wank off whenever you feel like it because there are many people who aren`t able to do that for different health reasons.

So STOP your whining and get on with your life!
User avatar
Hallusinating
Consumer 6
Consumer 6
 
Posts: 495
Joined: Fri Dec 24, 2010 8:17 pm
Local time: Mon Sep 01, 2014 7:29 am
Blog: View Blog (110)

Re: Any advice to a Christian who wants to stop masturbating

Postby Palindrome » Mon Jul 04, 2011 5:49 pm

Hello!
May I ask if you've told anyone else about your desire to stop?
If so, and if they're someone you really trust, then perhaps you could do something similar to setting up a parental control that blocks pornography, with them in control of the password?
I've heard there are some good free ones.
At least that way you wouldn't be masturbating to porn, then.
Touching yourself without the porn element definitely isn't so bad, as it's a fairly healthy part of life so long as it isn't obsessive. (And from the way you've described in your post, it seems it's not affecting your everyday life, you just want to stop for religious reasons?)
And without the stimulation, you may be able to better gather the will power to stop altogether.
Just a suggestion, anyway.
Good luck to you, whatever you do. :)

Also, to Hallusinating:
You are writing on a sex addiction forum.
Telling someone that
Hallusinating wrote:You are a man and you are supposed to masturbate, if you don`t do it then something is wrong with you.

Can be upsetting and innapropriate, and
Hallusinating wrote:So STOP your whining and get on with your life!

is just plain rude.
I apologise for saying anything, as I don't know you, but I really do think that's out of order.
Palindrome
Consumer 0
Consumer 0
 
Posts: 5
Joined: Mon Jun 20, 2011 4:23 pm
Local time: Mon Sep 01, 2014 7:29 am
Blog: View Blog (0)

Re: Any advice to a Christian who wants to stop masturbating

Postby Hallusinating » Tue Jul 05, 2011 4:00 pm

Palindrome wrote:And without the stimulation, you may be able to better gather the will power to stop altogether.


So..here you are telling thread starter to stop masturbating? And that is a better answer then mine because????


Its normal for men to masturbate to porn when they don`t have a girlfriend, i apologise if i called the thread starter for a whiner. I suggest he gets his acts and confidence together and go on a date with a real woman. Porn is not real they are actresses doing a part.
Take someone you like on a date, you don`t have to go to extraordinary lengths maybe a cup of coffee is a good way to start?
Good luck.
User avatar
Hallusinating
Consumer 6
Consumer 6
 
Posts: 495
Joined: Fri Dec 24, 2010 8:17 pm
Local time: Mon Sep 01, 2014 7:29 am
Blog: View Blog (110)

Re: Any advice to a Christian who wants to stop masturbating

Postby Moses » Wed Jul 06, 2011 2:54 pm

Halusinating, the original poster asked for ways to stop masturbating and gave his reasons for doing so. In response to that, you encouraged him to mastubate becuase "everyone" does it. I don't really see how that was helpful to him.

To get rid of an addiction to porn, you need to limit your access to it. For a computer, look at Christian Broadband.com for a very good internet filter, about $80 per year. For magazines and other videos, it is best maybe to meet with someone once a week as was mentioned for an accountability partner.

In one sense I agree that masturbation is natural and normal. But on the other hand, it can harm your relationship with women.

One of the things the Bible points out to us is the fact that we are born sinners and will sin until we die. The earthly nature is always fighting against the heavenly nature. I have not figured out a way to stop masturbating entirely, nor have I figured out a way to live a perfect life. The problem with most mastubating habits is they involve porn, and porn denigrates women. So it lowers our value of women. If you can manage to get rid of the porn but still masturbate occasionally you will be much better off. I really doubt I will stop masturbating entirely until I am somewher in my 80's.
User avatar
Moses
Consumer 6
Consumer 6
 
Posts: 267
Joined: Sat Sep 04, 2010 1:28 pm
Local time: Mon Sep 01, 2014 2:59 am
Blog: View Blog (0)

Re: Any advice to a Christian who wants to stop masturbating

Postby Hallusinating » Wed Jul 06, 2011 6:23 pm

Moses wrote:Halusinating, the original poster asked for ways to stop masturbating and gave his reasons for doing so. In response to that, you encouraged him to mastubate becuase "everyone" does it. I don't really see how that was helpful to him.

To get rid of an addiction to porn, you need to limit your access to it. For a computer, look at Christian Broadband.com for a very good internet filter, about $80 per year. For magazines and other videos, it is best maybe to meet with someone once a week as was mentioned for an accountability partner.

In one sense I agree that masturbation is natural and normal. But on the other hand, it can harm your relationship with women.

One of the things the Bible points out to us is the fact that we are born sinners and will sin until we die. The earthly nature is always fighting against the heavenly nature. I have not figured out a way to stop masturbating entirely, nor have I figured out a way to live a perfect life. The problem with most mastubating habits is they involve porn, and porn denigrates women. So it lowers our value of women. If you can manage to get rid of the porn but still masturbate occasionally you will be much better off. I really doubt I will stop masturbating entirely until I am somewher in my 80's.





Its up to the viewers if they want to watch it or not.

People need stimulation, porn can be a way to get it.
User avatar
Hallusinating
Consumer 6
Consumer 6
 
Posts: 495
Joined: Fri Dec 24, 2010 8:17 pm
Local time: Mon Sep 01, 2014 7:29 am
Blog: View Blog (110)

Re: Any advice to a Christian who wants to stop masturbating

Postby Moses » Wed Jul 06, 2011 7:25 pm

Yes, people are perfectly free to watch porn if they please. Then every time we hear of some man who beat his wife for 10 years before she finally told someone, we can wonder why things like that happen.
User avatar
Moses
Consumer 6
Consumer 6
 
Posts: 267
Joined: Sat Sep 04, 2010 1:28 pm
Local time: Mon Sep 01, 2014 2:59 am
Blog: View Blog (0)

Next

Return to Sexual Addiction Forum




  • Related articles
    Replies
    Views
    Last post

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 73 guests

cron