Our partner

How does masturbation affect everyday mood?

Sexual Addiction message board, open discussion, and online support group.

Moderator: Ada

How does masturbation affect everyday mood?

Postby PsyChase » Sun Oct 31, 2010 5:27 am

deleted
Last edited by PsyChase on Wed Nov 17, 2010 1:36 am, edited 1 time in total.
PsyChase
Consumer 5
Consumer 5

Local time: Wed Nov 26, 2014 8:48 am
Blog: View Blog (0)

ADVERTISEMENT

Re: How does masturbation affect everyday mood?

Postby PsyChase » Tue Nov 09, 2010 3:51 am

deleted
Last edited by PsyChase on Wed Nov 17, 2010 1:27 am, edited 1 time in total.
PsyChase
Consumer 5
Consumer 5

Local time: Wed Nov 26, 2014 8:48 am

Postby Vady5 » Wed Nov 10, 2010 1:07 am

Here in the sexual addiction forum, masturbation might be viewed as an aversion.
It seems many here are trying to stop masturbating at any cost.

Frankly, I really like masturbating.
Hoplite Elite wrote:Masturbation. It's just sex, but with someone I like.

Like most things in life, it should be done in moderation.
It can be like a drug, and should be kept in check.
I have no preconceived notions of it being bad, so for me it is enjoyable.

Not recommend it for those who are in a relationship, and one person has a problem with the other person doing it.

It mellows my mood.
But without the ongoing dramas and plots and characters I've imagined, there would be nothing to latch my feelings on to. ~ biscuits

You do not even need to quantify it or label it. You can just be you, and love the person you love. ~ Jennywocky
Vady5
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Local time: Wed Nov 26, 2014 9:48 am

Postby Murraygoodwin » Thu Nov 11, 2010 5:48 am

Masturbation I would imagine is part of the reason you are feeling changed at work but not in the way you may think. I think your attitude change is not causal but symptomatic. And the masturbation is your way of coping with your life. Also it feels really good. See if you can figure out what is bugging you. If you can't though you might check in with a counselor as he/she may be able to discern a question you haven't thought of yet which may define your mood change. But as to the other, enjoy. Everyone needs such a vacation no matter how brief.
Murraygoodwin
Consumer 0
Consumer 0

Local time: Wed Nov 26, 2014 1:48 pm

Postby ciqala » Fri Nov 12, 2010 8:07 am

PsyChase wrote:With me, it seems that I don't feel like masturbating if I haven't masturbated, and when I end up masturbating once, I must do it some more, usually later, but it can also be right after. One time, I had a real good fantasy and I masturbated four times in a row.

How does masturbation affect everyday mood? A drug user who uses a drug once a day will generally feel worse the rest of the day. Is it the same with masturbation?

For me the desire to masturbate is so frequent it becomes annoying as ###$. Unfortunately i go throughout the day being somehow stimulated constantly. You can see how that becomes irritating. It is even worse when i am stimulated in public, or in front of my mother, and the thrill turns me on even more. I despise MB. I really do, because i am always stimulated, and the job of getting off completely that way, is very long and takes up several hours of time i could be doing more important things. It is hard to turn off the off switch. But i simply don't have the time to be doing it 24/7, and i hate it in general because it never satisfies me enough. It's a huge time waster, especially noting that i have to keep doing it for 10 hours once i start.

It depends on the mood thing. If you are like me, then it ruins your mood, makes you insane, and depressed. When you are addicted to it (as a chick) you can easily become injured. Hospital visits are a very embarrassing thing. I've developed tumors that had to be surgically cut out of me, because of excessive aggravation. My SA friend had her urethra fall completely out because of it. And those things are just disgusting.
So no i'm not really big on masturbation. It's the worst thing in the world.
ciqala
Consumer 2
Consumer 2

Postby KingMon » Sun Nov 14, 2010 7:28 pm

Ciqala, I know exactly what you mean. I'm in the same exact situation, which is why I came here in the first place. I want to put an end to it for good, because I've tried just "cutting back" and it never works. I'm at the point where unless I stop completely, I'll likely be drawn back into doing it more often than I like. And it's not because I don't have anything better to do, either, although keeping busy during the week definitely helps. The weekend, though, I typically give into my urges and waste time doing it. I want to stop completely.
KingMon
Consumer 0
Consumer 0

Local time: Wed Nov 26, 2014 5:48 am

Postby winginitx » Mon Nov 15, 2010 10:55 am

I felt the same way regarding my constant and prolific MB'ing. I didn't understand why I MB'd so often - aside from the fact that it felt good.
It hit me after therapy one day: If MB'ing makes me feel temprarily good, what is happening in my life that was so bad that I needed those constant injections of good?

Thus started my real recovery from MB. It sates some need inside of me that I couldn't put my finger on. I found out that MB anesthesized me briefly from life's daily pains: insecurities, fears, feelings of inadequacy. When I started to address all those secret factors, that pull to MB diminished and then was extinguished. This occurred over a 3 year period.

Like any addiction, it is a form of escapism; a brief vacation from what ever feeling creates that emotional pain. The key then for me was to stay in reality at all costs. A daunting task for someone who flees emotional pain.

I would ask myself continually when I felt that pull: "What am I feeling right now?", and after I MB'd, I would ask myself, "What need did MB'in fulfill?" Just keep asking those questions of yourself.

Now, whenever I feel the ghost of that 'pull', I immediately now I should be confronting my feelings and expressing them. Example: When I get hurt at being ignored or rejected - from the wife or friends - I confront those feelings and people in appropriate ways. Whenever I feel bad about not saying something, or doing something i dont really want to do, which makes me feel bad about my decisions, i.e. about myself, I don't do them. Being excessively nice to everyone exacted a cost of myself. I am still kind, but I don't have to sacrifice my 'self' in order to do that.

Bottom line is, MB'ing is a coping mechanism, and to stop it, you need to confront and deal with the pain associated with that need to cope with it. Hope that helps.
winginitx
Consumer 5
Consumer 5

Return to Sexual Addiction Forum

• Related articles
    Replies
    Views
    Last post